Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-03-2022, 17:53   #1

Grenada boat repair options

I am wanting to head to Grenada from the Exumas, Bahamas in April and am trying to avoid going to Ft. Pierce, Fl. to get work done on my boat. Specifically:
Set up my iridium Go
Solar panels
Set up my iridium go
Change water tanks to fuel tanks
Install water maker
Miscellaneous electrical

Does anyone have any information regarding yards , marinas, specific contacts, pricing (compared to the States)?

Many thanks,
Alison
AliB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2022, 20:38   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters
Re: Grenada boat repair options

I have 3 seasons in Grenada Marine. It is a large yard with most services available. They do allow a fair bit of DIY work but frown upon outsiders coming in. There is a rigger, sail shop, engine shop, electronics, and wood. They can do welding and have a large paint shed. They are pretty far out if town but you can get a bus. There is a restaurant on premis and they have reduced fares at a nice small hotel within walking distance. They allow live aboard while working on the boat. Well maintained baths and showers and a laundry.

Prices are comparable to USA, not the cheapest but not the elite also.

You have to manage the managers to get the work done. I would have to make myself a PITA, and resorted to hissy fits at times. The workers seem OK, the managers are, IMHO, the sticking point.

That said, the overall experience was about on par with stateside services. Very few better, some considerably worse.

Shipping stuff the Grenada is not difficult once you get the hang if it. But it is slow and you really need to hire an agent for more complicated orders.

I think there are a couple of other yards about similar.

They REALLY pack the boats into the yards. They make money off storage. They lift boats with a travel lift but then transfer them to a trailer so that they can squeeze them in. If you are buried deep in the pile it can take a while to get dug out.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2022, 10:33   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

I think this is a bad idea. I delivered a boat to St Georges and picked on up around Prickly Bay.

Iridiuam set-up can be done remotely. Few folks down there are Iridium pros, don't even think there is a dealer there. I have used a GO for several years and am confused what 'setting up' is needed.

Solar Panels that may be doable down there. We found a good electrician, not sure about his panel skills.

Change water tanks to fuel-- not sure I would trust the mechanics down there to do this.

Water maker NOOOOOO!!!! The best water maker guys are in S FLA, doing this offshore makes zero sense.

Misc Electrical. depending on your definition of "misc" could be done down there.

What is missing is what type of boat? If it had a lot of 1/2 thought-out work, you really want someone good to clean it all up.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2022, 19:25   #4

Boat: Swan 44 Mk II

The generally agreed upon best place to have work done in the Caribbean is St. Maarten or in Martinique by Caribe Marine. But if your French isn't very good, then St. Maarten. Labor cost is about 75-80% of USA cost, and the work is very good. But you better get going. You just missed a good weather widow. They don't call it the "thorny path" for nothing.
Roniszoro is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, Grenada, repair