Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-07-2018, 09:09   #16

Re: Grumpy ICW Bridge Tender

agreed

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
. . . 99% of the bridge tenders I've encountered were polite, friendly, helpful and quite tolerant of mobs of newbies that showed up on weekends and holidays.. . .
gRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2018, 09:27   #17

Boat: 1983 Pearson 424 Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by gRider View Post
agreed
Was this in New Jersey? I’ve had one or two experiences like this there.
Peregrine1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2018, 09:38   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine1983 View Post
Was this in New Jersey? I’ve had one or two experiences like this there.
South Florida
gRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2018, 09:41   #19

Boat: 1989 Morgan-44CP

There is a female tender on the Lady's Island bridge in Beaufort, SOUTH Carolina that need to read these posts!

jewt
jewt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2018, 09:41   #20

Tantrum,

Great to have your input. Like others, I find almost all bridge tenders very good - certainly better than the boaters. I'd just as soon make it as easy as possible on you. So some questions?

Your bridge is a little unusual because of the trains. How long before arrival is the ideal time for a boat to hail you? Distance or time?

If you were a highway bridge that is open on request what would you guess would be the best time to call?

Same questions for an hourly or half hour scheduled bridge?

Thanks.
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2018, 09:46   #21

Boat: Hatteras Yachtfish 58'

First, Always be courteous and professional. I strongly agree not to put kids on the radio for bridges.

I had continuous problems at the Cameo Real bridge at Boca Lake with a woman tender. I called Barry Meetz, 561-233-3975, Supervisor of the Palm Beach County bridge tenders. I told him I wanted to make a written complaint with a copy to the Coast Guard. He asked me if I would not and he would talk to her about it. I agreed. It happened again. I asked for his address and told him the complaint was coming in the mail with a copy to the Coast Guard. I have not had a problem since at this bridge.

Until boaters hold these public servants accountable don't expect anything to change. We have to do things by the book if we want the service we are entitled too.
tomrealest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2018, 09:59   #22

Some of them are dicks for sure. No answers on the radio. I had one try to close on me as going through. There were only like 3 boats going through. Two powerboats and my sailboat. The bridge started to lower as I entered. Barely missed the mast.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2018, 11:35   #23

Boat: Irwin 46 CC
Send a message via Skype™ to PuttingDoctor

Interesting thread here. I too have experienced the good, the bad and the ugly while using the ICW in Florida.
I am a long time FAA private pilot who has delt with air traffic controllers some of whom show the same sort of attitude toward smaller general aviation aircraft. I have a very professional radio patter and baritone voice.
When I approach a bridge I know when the next opening is supposed to be, I also know when I will be at the bridge as I time my travel via Navionics. When I have the bridge in sight I call and identify myself and include the information I think helpful, like my current hull speed and GPS time of arrival. If I am close time wise I also ask the tender to announce the start of the opening sequence. Often in s. Florida the radio use by the tenders varies. When you have an approach that doesn’t allow you to see the traffic barriers go down and the tender doesn’t announce the sequence you are left to wonder about the opening and have to throttle back.
I have felt that many tenders do not understand the difference in handling characteristics between twin screw / side thruster vessels and single screw Sailboats.
After clearing the bridge I always make it a point to radio a “thanks for the opening.”
Old 15-07-2018, 11:38   #24

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

The first problem I see is sailing up on the premise that a bridge will be able to open at a scheduled time. JMHO
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2018, 12:43   #25

Boat: Irwin 46 CC
Send a message via Skype™ to PuttingDoctor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
The first problem I see is sailing up on the premise that a bridge will be able to open at a scheduled time. JMHO
I agree and that is why it is so important for the tender to announce the opening sequence on the radio. Silence only slows down the traffic attempting to efficiently move along.
Old 15-07-2018, 16:07   #26

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tantrum View Post
Well, I may be opening a can of worms here, but I run a bridge. Many folks think its easy, and it is, but there can be excruciatingly frustrating aspects to it.
Great list! It should be required reading for every boater planning to pass under a drawbridge. I've heard all of these things, many times.

If I can add one: the boaters who don't know their air draft. How is the bridge going to know how high (or if) to open for you if YOU don't know?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Some of them are dicks for sure. No answers on the radio. I had one try to close on me as going through. There were only like 3 boats going through. Two powerboats and my sailboat. The bridge started to lower as I entered. Barely missed the mast.
Not to say this is the case here, but I've seen many a boater pass behind another boat or group of boats without calling in themselves. The bridge tender usually notices, but I imagine they might not, and close the bridge too soon. Especially if the last one in the pack is lagging far behind, as may be the case with two power boats followed by one sailboat.

The comment about using a handheld in the cockpit may also apply here. The bridge tender might not hear you, and so not know you're there.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2018, 19:21   #27

Boat: Roberts 45

Quote:
Tantrum,

Never ever have problems with her.
Here we go, that shows it's not a technical issue on your or their side. As a side note, turning up _your_ volume does nothing for the receiver, it's your transmitting power that has some influence on the volume on the receiving side. However, since you're within view of the bridge I'd instead go to low power mode on my radio as to not overdrive his receiver.

As a suggestion, maybe you can talk to that lady after your next crossing. Ask her to change to a working channel and have a chat to her.

Quote:
2) Like almost everyone else I dont hail "by the book"
So is the tender responding to other boaters hailing in the same fashion as you? Or is he ignoring everyone (who is not calling by the book) ?

Quote:
3) [...] Maybe I'm too slow and careful for his tastes? What would a tender think a reasonable standby distance from the fenders is?
Here we have a another possibillity: you mentioned you are using that bridge quite frequently. Maybe you did indeed unknowingly piss him off in the past and he as a good memory of boaties he thinks are holding up traffic too much.

Good luck on your next crossing!

https://www.timantra.net
hzcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2018, 21:09   #28

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

You guys have it easy with bridge tenders on site!

We just had an issue with the tender at the Harwood bridge on the Clarence river in New South Wales (a favorite spot). Here there is none of this "whistle on approach" kinda stuff, rather we must telephone 24 hours or more in advance to set a time. The tender lives quite a long drive away. It is further complicated by the current construction of a new adjacent bridge, and openings are restricted to after 1700 on Saturdays and before 0700 on Sundays.

So, duly called a few days in advance, sent the requested text with all details (date, time, name, contact number, boat name and mast height). What could possibly go wrong?
We went up the river early with the flood, anchored until 1645, weighed and approached the bridge... and nothing happened. No sign of life in the shack on the span. Circled around, and around, and ... 1730 arrives, and it is getting very dark, and there are lots of unlit buoys and stuff around the area, so I call the tender's mobile. He's still at home, seems to have forgotten. Offers to come down, but it will be another hour and a half. Agree on 0700 next morning (reluctantly on my part!), for it is always cold and often foggy at that time here. So, at 0630 next morning, still nearly dark, he's on the phone saying "I'm here on the bridge ready to open, where are you?". Grump.

We got through ok eventually and that was good... but now we have the downriver trip in a fortnight to look forward to. So, alla youse guys, quit your bitching about 15 minute delays!

Jim
Old 15-07-2018, 22:18   #29

Boat: Roberts 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
You guys have it easy with bridge tenders on site!

We just had an issue with the tender at the Harwood bridge on the Clarence river in New South Wales (a favorite spot).
[...]

We got through ok eventually and that was good... but now we have the downriver trip in a fortnight to look forward to. So, alla youse guys, quit your bitching about 15 minute delays!

Jim

Good luck coming back! At least you're on first name terms with the guy now and have his mobile number.

The new bridge looks pretty impressive, with 4 lanes and 30 m clearance compared to the existing 8.7m. You might not want to wait until the opening in late 2019 though...

https://www.timantra.net
hzcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2018, 00:09   #30

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by hzcruiser View Post
Good luck coming back! At least you're on first name terms with the guy now and have his mobile number.

The new bridge looks pretty impressive, with 4 lanes and 30 m clearance compared to the existing 8.7m. You might not want to wait until the opening in late 2019 though...
Shucks, we've been on first name basis with Craig for a couple of decades! The mobile is a help, and fairly new in his bag of tricks. I'll be a bit more proactive for the downstream opening!

The new bridge is indeed impressive... and by reports, 6 months ahead of schedule!. The silly thing is that they are gonna leave the old bridge in service for local traffic, so we will still have to call Craig for opening. Seems kinda odd to me, and a PITA for folks who regularly need to transit. Hopefully it will revert to the old "just about any time" opening sched.

Jim

Tags
icw, rum, tender