Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-05-2017, 05:30   #136

Boat: Paper Tiger 14 foot, Gemini 105MC 34 foot Catamaran Hull no 825
Re: Grumpy old men and boats.

The Marina Im at, Moored boats rarely move, Its trailored boats that are coming and going all the time,
There are no live aboards here, Not allowed,
They use the slip way straight into the channel, Moored boats are on either side of the channel,
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2017, 05:57   #137

Boat: Able 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Come to Croatia, Montenegro, Ibiza and Italy during the summer months, the anchorages are teaming with activity, boats are out sailing as far as you can see... hundreds of them, sail and powerboats. It's not like the US especially So. Cal where there's no place to go, other than out and back. People over here take extended vacations. I'm sure Greece is the same, but we haven't been there yet.

No grumpy old men just sitting in marinas complaining about looking out and seeing only grumpy old men in their marina or.... complaining about statistical accuracy.
The reason is simple. Hardly any of the boaters in Croatia are locals.
Most are on some form of boating vacation even if it is only a weekend.
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2017, 06:13   #138
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by savoir View Post
The reason is simple. Hardly any of the boaters in Croatia are locals.
Most are on some form of boating vacation even if it is only a weekend.
What difference does that make? The fact is... the marinas empty out over the weekend here. People out enjoying their boats, instead of sitting around like a bunch of old grumps complaining.

The fifty foot boats on either side of me, gone at least two days of every week over the past four weeks. One couple on the port side, gone out sailing on their Beneteau Oceanis; the 88year old and his young friend on the starboard side, gone three days per week on his 1966 wooden ketch.

Vastly different than my experience in Long Beach California where it seemed we were the only ones who ever ventured out past the pumpout station.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2017, 06:15   #139

Boat: Able 50

All the difference. It would be more valid to compare Croatia with BVI where only a minority of boaters are locals.
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2017, 06:27   #140
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by savoir View Post
All the difference. It would be more valid to compare Croatia with BVI where only a minority of boaters are locals.
Only a grumpy old man with nothing better to do would care about something as trivial as that.

The point is and has always been.... people out enjoying their boats instead of complaining.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2017, 06:35   #141

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman1 View Post
I pulls in to the free town docks @ Great Bridge, Va feeling all sorry for myself 'cause I don't have a nice girl crew to accompany me. Another northbound boat pulls in: another single-handing GOM. Yet another boat pulls in: yep, yet another lone GOM. By the time it got dark, there were five boats there just south of the Great Bridge bascule, all skippered by solo GOM. One has/had to wonder if that's why we were grumpy.
I wonder about this. Since my wife and I have been out cruising for a while now we have been surprised at how many grumpy old singlehanded sailors we have met.

Are they grumpy because they are single or are they single because they are grumpy?

Funny thing about people who have made comments about modern interior design, are they grumpy old single handlers too? My guess is yes.

My wife loves sailing and the cruising lifestyle. She (we) would love it more on a more modern yacht with better amenities and a brighter more spacious interior than the cramped teak cave we currently inhabit.

I prefer sailing around with a happy lady by my side but don't think there is anything wrong with guys who like being alone or with other guys. To each his own.

For guys who wish they had girls in there lives to go cruising with you might want to consider things from a woman's point of view.

If you are serious about it do yourself a favor and find a lady and ask her to critique your boat interior. She might be able to help you make you boat a little more inviting to the fairer sex.

You'll live longer with a partner by your side and have a lot more fun doing it.
Delancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2017, 07:07   #142

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Delancey,

Completely agree. But here's the funny thing. When first looking for a new boat this was the first boat we saw. I loved it but the Wife hated it, she hated the dark mahogany wood interior. 2 years later we bought it, she had come to admit it had advantage. Now that we are live aboards I think she appreciates the "cave" quite a bit. She would like a pilot house for other reasons but does NOT want a modern boat interior. It's in part due to the security of the space but also it is a refuge from the outside. Sometimes we just need to retreat from the sun and wind.
hpeer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2017, 07:09   #143

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delancey View Post
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

You'll live longer with a partner by your side and have a lot more fun doing it.
I singlehand a lot.

Only way I can get ANY sleep.

My wife snores.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2017, 07:20   #144
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Quote:
I wonder about this. Since my wife and I have been out cruising for a while now we have been surprised at how many grumpy old singlehanded sailors we have met.

Are they grumpy because they are single or are they single because they are grumpy?

Funny thing about people who have made comments about modern interior design, are they grumpy old single handlers too? My guess is yes.

My wife loves sailing and the cruising lifestyle. She (we) would love it more on a more modern yacht with better amenities and a brighter more spacious interior than the cramped teak cave we currently inhabit.

I prefer sailing around with a happy lady by my side but don't think there is anything wrong with guys who like being alone or with other guys. To each his own.

For guys who wish they had girls in there lives to go cruising with you might want to consider things from a woman's point of view.

If you are serious about it do yourself a favor and find a lady and ask her to critique your boat interior. She might be able to help you make you boat a little more inviting to the fairer sex.

Methinks you missed the point completely. When you have bounced off the beautiful interior a few times, and put band aids on the cuts from the sharp edges, and realise how impractical the placement of certain cupboards and doors are in a seaway............especially with the wide open space and no handholds, you will come to realise the lack of wisdom of having a design produced by a person who makes great interiors for an apartment, but has never chundered in a force 8 hanging on for dear life.

Great designs are to be had for boat interiors, however due respect must be paid to the realities of sea life...

weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2017, 08:17   #145

Wives and girlfriends don't want to conquer the seas. They don't want to have to suffer through violent storms. They don't want a "blue water" boat that is capable of handling anything Mother Nature throws your way. They don't want your Macho Stupid attitude.

What they want is for you to intelligently use your head and available weather forecasting and communications technology to make sure they don't have to suffer through violent storms. What they want is smooth sailing and comfort. What they want is to have fun and not feel terrified. What they want is to make the right passage in the right season and leave the rough stuff to the Grumpy Old Men.

Seriously do you go out looking for trouble? Does that make you feel like a man? I made the wrong ocean crossing in the wrong season once. Challenging to say the least. Won't make that mistake again. I have logged some 3,000 miles in the past six months and the only time I encountered severe weather was when I was safely at anchor in a snug harbor. This was no accident.

If you think my desire to avoid severe weather makes me a pussy I am okay with that. I think it is sad that you are out sailing around alone with no one to share the experience with.

To quote boatman61 "The superior sailor uses his superior knowledge to avoid situations requiring his superior skill."
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1689.PNG
Views:	61
Size:	18.4 KB
ID:	148733  
Delancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2017, 08:51   #146

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Wives and girlfriends don't want to conquer the seas. They don't want to have to suffer through violent storms. They don't want a "blue water" boat that is capable of handling anything Mother Nature throws your way. They don't want your Macho Stupid attitude.

What they want is for you to intelligently use your head and available weather forecasting and communications technology to make sure they don't have to suffer through violent storms. What they want is smooth sailing and comfort. What they want is to have fun and not feel terrified. What they want is to make the right passage in the right season and leave the rough stuff to the Grumpy Old Men.

Seriously do you go out looking for trouble? Does that make you feel like a man? I made the wrong ocean crossing in the wrong season once. Challenging to say the least. Won't make that mistake again. I have logged some 3,000 miles in the past six months and the only time I encountered severe weather was when I was safely at anchor in a snug harbor. This was no accident.

If you think my desire to avoid severe weather makes me a pussy I am okay with that. I think it is sad that you are out sailing around alone with no one to share the experience with.

To quote boatman61 "The superior sailor uses his superior knowledge to avoid situations requiring his superior skill."
it's like discursion is the better part of valor.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2017, 08:56   #147

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

Quote:

Our big grump is when we invite someone to join us for a daysail or passage, then have to listen to them complain and criticize our boat and the way we do stuff.
I'd "invite" them to go for a swim...or at least tell them I'm from the South and we have a saying down there..."Well Bless Your Heart!"

Mae West
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2017, 09:04   #148

Location: Boat is on the hard in San Carlos for the tropical storm season. We are back in the PNW
Boat: 1999 Pacific Seacraft 40

Quote:
And that's why your dollar is now worth only 74 cents!.
Actually we are cruising outside the US also, but our dollar is worth @ $1.31 presently
Smokeys Kitchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2017, 09:08   #149

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

Quote:
No, but you can order the optional helm station commode.
Here's a shot of the galley with that option.

Mae West
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2017, 09:27   #150

Boat: Dufour Safari 27'

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNCIVILIZED View Post

Some people get it, others, much to the detriment of the human gene pool, are allowed to live quite long, "safe", unintersting lives. All while propogating similar madness throughout every aspect of our culture. Doing things like padding playground equipment. And creating an environment of social conditioning where we're all brainwashed to where our first response to a looming or occurring problem, is to call someone else for help on our smart phones. Rather than excercising such traits as; self reliance, ingenuity, common sense, good judgement, thinking on our feet, & problem solving, etc.

YUCK!
You have hit the proverbial nail on the head. Every pool needs skimming, including and especially the gene pool! Sadly, many confuse luck with success due to knowledge and hard work.
ArmyDaveNY is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, men, rum