Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-06-2024, 13:59   #1

Boat: Custom 28' Power Catamaran
Gulfstar 37 performance?

Thinking of buying a Gulfstar 37. Boat has been thoroughly refit and outfitted. Amazing condition and equipment list.

But I would be doing serious ocean work. Offshore.

My concerns: The draft is shallow (4.67 feet) and the SA/D ratio is low at 13.61. (Can that be correct???? Seems way too low).

But. Another one I was looking at had been to New Zealand and back from the east coast, and I found a few reviews saying it sailed well (attached screenshot of one, and yes, it was an online review, so I take it with a grain or pepper)…

Anyway, I fully understand the controversy with the quality and sailing characteristics of some Gulf-stars, but this particular model seems to be a bit of a different animal. Or not. I don’t know.

Any constructive opinions (or better yet actual experience sailing one) are welcome.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1668.jpeg
Views:	17
Size:	327.7 KB
ID:	290790  
massnspace is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2024, 14:14   #2

Boat: Bristol 41.1 Keep on Dancin'
Re: Gulfstar 37 performance?

I had a cruising friend we met in Puerto Rico. Sailed from Boston, and we kept meeting up all through the Caribbean, partied at Carnival, spent time in Venezuela, and again up island. He really liked his 37. He was able to carry more beer than I could on my Crealock 37. Had a stroke and had to sell the boat down island. Another couple spent many years doing two trips around the eastern and Western Caribbean, and wound up years later selling their 37 in the Keys. Very happy with it. That was back in the day people cruised on that size boat, and didn't have to have the biggest and the most.
keepondancin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2024, 14:16   #3

Boat: Custom 28' Power Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by keepondancin View Post
I had a cruising friend we met in Puerto Rico. Sailed from Boston, and we kept meeting up all through the Caribbean, partied at Carnival, spent time in Venezuela, and again up island. He really liked his 37. He was able to carry more beer than I could on my Crealock 37. Had a stroke and had to sell the boat down island. Another couple spent many years doing two trips around the eastern and Western Caribbean, and wound up years later selling their 37 in the Keys. Very happy with it. That was back in the day people cruised on that size boat, and didn't have to have the biggest and the most.
Thanks. Besides the beer capacity, did the owner(s) say anything about the performance of the boat? Upwind? In light air?
massnspace is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2024, 14:25   #4

Boat: Bristol 41.1 Keep on Dancin'

It did ok going to windward, have no idea how close to the wind. I could point a little higher than he could. Got along the north coast of th DR faster than he did. (maybe because he had more beer on board). I doubt it is a light air boat. We were cruising, not racing. It was more important to feel safe.
keepondancin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gulfstar