Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-04-2015, 14:45   #16

Boat: Bristol 35
Re: Hailing Port

Quote:
Originally Posted by SURV69 View Post
Curious .... as to why, particularly, someone wouldn't want their hailing port not be the port at which they generally operate out of?
There's no reason to not have it from where I live other than I was looking for something that would go with the boat name since both will be on the stern. Just something different
biker6977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2015, 14:47   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker6977 View Post
Thank you Stu for your opinion, though I think it's the perfect name for my boat. I've yet to see it and already I love it just like I did my kids before they were even born. This will be my baby for the next few years until we get the forever boat. I realize there are probably a bunch of boats out there named Baby but the boat I will be buddy boating with sometimes is looking forward to hailing "Baby, Baby oh Baby" and that's good enough for me.
Good one.

Your boat, your choice.

Just don't do a radio check on VHF 16!
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2015, 14:59   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
I can assure you that Maine does indeed troll the documentation database looking for "leads". They even say so in the collection letter they sent me. I did (after two attempts) finally get through to them (certified mail, signature required) that I already paid all my taxes at the town hall.

My recommendation would be that, if you're asked to pay taxes you don't owe, send a letter to the state official in charge of such things. Don't deal with locals, especially grammatically challenged locals. Include whatever proof you have that shows you shouldn't owe. And make sure you have proof of delivery. Then sit back and wait. The ball is in their court to prove you're a tax cheat. Once they realize you don't owe, it seems unlikely they'll waste any money on you.

A state "trolling" the USCG database and USCG notifying them are different processes that might still lead to the same tax being levied....my point was simply that the USCG doesn't intentionally notify the state.

www.learntoliveaboard.com
motaman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2015, 15:58   #19

Boat: Sabre 42

I'm lucky. The small town where I was born in Illinois is aptly named. My hailing port is "Breese, IL." Most people misspell it Breeze.
Old 30-04-2015, 16:17   #20

Boat: Maxim 380

Baby Batter Alabama? Lol
tunnelvision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2015, 16:26   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker6977 View Post
REALLY???? Well, now that's interesting! going to have to look into that.
I thought it had to be a city in the US. Seems like that would be a little weird but that would fit right along with me......and how can they tax me for a place that doesn't exist?
Official wording is "census designated place" whatever it means. Most likely if it has a zip code it can be hailing port.
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2015, 12:45   #22

Boat: vessel deliveries, west coast, N.A.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Time O25 View Post
Official wording is "census designated place" whatever it means. Most likely if it has a zip code it can be hailing port.
I was running a cargo ship in Western Alaska last fall, it is just about all a "census designated place" under the umbrella of the town of Bethel, AK. I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't cover over a 100 villages.

IMHO, assigning a landlocked 'hailing port', which happens to be your residence may reveal more about you than you might like... if you had a trailer for that boat would you park it in the drive way?

I live in south SF bay but my boats hailing port is Santa Cruz a name recognizable in most of North America. Some day I'd like a boat with a hailing port of, something like, LONDON SAN FRANCISCO SYDNEY etc. names recognized by just about anyone on the water. No one cares in which city my house is located. (US Documentation requires the hailing port include the state or it's abrv.)
captainjim47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2015, 12:59   #23
cruiser

I can think of one instance in which the guy's hailing port is the inland, landlocked area where he was born. In fact, I've seen a fair number of hailing ports that are far, far inland and have more to do with where the owners are from or want to be associated from than where the boat lives

In another instance, the guy had a trimaran, thus he wanted "Triadelphia" as his hailing port.
jaybird1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2015, 13:11   #24

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by SURV69 View Post
Curious .... as to why, particularly, someone wouldn't want their hailing port not be the port at which they generally operate out of?
Does not rhyme.

Baby?
NY maybe?

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2015, 13:32   #25

Boat: Formosa 30 ketch

If the boat isn't a documented vessel, I don't imagine the hailing port means a damn thing.
When we bought our boat, it was named "Arcturian", so I considered the hailing port "Bootes" but it was a bit too obscure. Besides, the woman re-doing the brightwork said it reminded her of the poor kids who commited suicide while waiting for the Mother Ship hiding behind a comet, so we just left all those pretty Formosa nameboards blank for now..
Bill Seal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2015, 13:38   #26

Boat: Outremer 50S

I think I'd go with:

Ruth, NV

Might get you the tax advantages of Nevada, and oh so many possible connotations
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2015, 13:58   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonesail View Post
the hailing port can be fictional .. does not need to be a real city actually.
Good way to get in trouble
"The hailing port must be a place in the United States included
in the U.S. Department of Commerce's Federal Information Processing
Standards Publication 55DC"

See Hailing port designation.

- Rusty
rgesner is offline   Reply With Quote