Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-06-2017, 10:42   #1

Boat: Cabo Rico 45
Hallberg-Rassy's (or similar)

Hello Everyone,
I read with great interest the recent thread "New Sailboats" and the choice of putting your money into an older "quality" boat vs a new or newer "production boat". A lot of the discussion was around the Oyster / Amel / Hylas category vs the Beneteau / Jeaneau / Hanse category. I found it to be a very informative thread... so thank you.
I won't re-hash that debate, but I currently fall into the former group. I have been leaning towards a Hallberg-Rassy center cockpit for some time, and I would like to hear from those who own one or seriously considered an H-R but decided otherwise, and the reasons why.
For me, my intent is to live aboard during my retirement (about 1 year away) and cruise with the capability of crossing oceans. I also have a strong interest in high latitude sailing. Size Range would be 40-48 ft. and able to be easily sailed by a couple, or single-handed. Budget is in the 300k-400k range.
Reasons for landing on the H-R is reputation as an Ocean Capable cruiser, insulated hull for higher latitudes, quality of construction, adequate tankage, and livability/storage as a live-aboard.
Am I missing other manufacturers?
I would appreciate any other insights you may be able to offer, as Im getting very close to purchase / decision time. Thanks!

Mark
S/V Reveille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 18:34   #2

Boat: 57' Laurent Giles Yawl
Re: Hallberg-Rassy's (or similar)

I've never owned one, but have friends with them -- and think they are awesome. If you can afford it, quality makes a huge difference. And I think the quality on HR's is especially good, from a cruising perspective.
Old 10-06-2017, 19:45   #3

Boat: Colegate 26

You may want to also look into Passport, Island Packet, Tayana, and older Moodys, though none of these are as nice as Hallbergs, they will treat you well in the ocean.
LoudMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 09:52   #4

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious

Hello Mark,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark0808 View Post
I have been leaning towards a Hallberg-Rassy center cockpit for some time, and I would like to hear from those who own one or seriously considered an H-R but decided otherwise, and the reasons why.
I own HR 40 #68 Auspicious. Frankly a center cockpit boat was a real surprise to me. For my needs it turned out to be brilliant. She has been very good to me and I love her.

I really like the center island berth aft. There is room to stand and get dressed, room to read in bed, and some separation for when I have guests. The galley is good for two (or three small) butts at dock or anchor and two at sea. Lots of places to wedge in. If you find one with arm chairs those are GREAT. The nav station could be a bit more comfortable but I can pull a long work day without much angst.

I took factory delivery at Ellös in 2006 and sailed across the Atlantic with crew. That experience cemented my belief that I made the right choice for me.

The boats aren't perfect. I have a list. *grin*

I have delivered a number of HRs across their product range. I find them to be well found boats that are solid and comfortable. My 40 is a comfortable live-aboard, a capable cruiser, and a lovely home.

There is a great owner's group that is a tremendous source of information. A number of HR employees and retired employees participate.

I looked at used and new Hylas, Oyster, Swan, IP, Najad, Moody, and a few others before making my choice.

Let me know if I can help. dave@auspiciousworks.com
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2017, 11:01   #5

Boat: Cabo Rico 45

Thank you all for the responses.
Dave, thanks, and I would love to reach out to learn more from you and your experience as an owner.

Mark
S/V Reveille is offline   Reply With Quote