Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-02-2021, 15:39   #1

Boat: Beneteau 331
Hammocks cinched to roller reefing jib

The front of Latitudes and Longitudes reminded me of something from last summer.

My son put up one of those hammocks that cinch off of of each end. At the bow it was cinched around the roller reefed jib. It looked like a nice relaxing spot to enjoy a beer and the world.

After a bit I started getting itchy about possibly damaging the reefing system and the sail.

Am I being a nervous nelly? A wet blanket? Or am I being prescient about damage?
Tmacmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 16:02   #2

Boat: Sabre 402
Re: Hammocks cinched to roller reefing jib

Depends a good bit on the size of the gear involved. A setup that works fine on a Swan 65 may not hold up on a J/24. Something that might kink a r/f extrusion might make no difference to a 1x19 wire. Bean-bag chairs may work better on a smaller boat.
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 16:16   #3

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

When I was working on Renaissance, a 72' racer with hydraulic roller furling, there was a hammock and sunshade tied between the headfoil and the mast.

While working on the hydraulic winches I didn't realize that every time I turned on a hydraulic winch it was also turning the furling drum (yes, there was a bug in the system, it wasn't supposed to be doing that).

Imagine our surprise when the hammock turned into a giant slingshot.

"Hey, what was that? Did anybody see where Tony went?"
Old 08-02-2021, 17:02   #4

Boat: Outremer 55L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmacmi View Post
The front of Latitudes and Longitudes reminded me of something from last summer.

My son put up one of those hammocks that cinch off of of each end. At the bow it was cinched around the roller reefed jib. It looked like a nice relaxing spot to enjoy a beer and the world.

After a bit I started getting itchy about possibly damaging the reefing system and the sail.

Am I being a nervous nelly? A wet blanket? Or am I being prescient about damage?

I assume you mean that one end of the hammock was tied to the clew ring of the jib, which is fully furled and only showing a small bit of sail.

If so, even on a 28 foot boat, I bet the regular sheet load is a whole lot more than the 200 pounds or so of tension that your body weight will put on it when you’re in the hammock.

If you mean tied all the way around the furled sail, that’s also fine. Your weight is a small fraction of the loads the forestay sees, even if concentrated at a single point and through many layers of sail and a rigid foil.

No damage to be worried about in either case, though happy to be corrected by a rigger.
fxykty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 18:09   #5

Boat: 1998 Orca (Ingrid) 38

I worry about this too. I'm not sure if we're right to worry or not, but next time I'm going to test an alternate arrangement.

I'll fix the aft end of the hammock to the mast. The fwd end will be attached to a halyard, and another line running forward. (or even just a single halyard that is tied off forward).

Might swing a bit more, but I won't worry about kinking a foil, or stressing my jib in some way.
Sonrisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 18:56   #6

Boat: Bristol 27 #182, MystereS 17' Catamaran #531
Send a message via Skype™ to EarlWer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxykty View Post
If so, even on a 28 foot boat, I bet the regular sheet load is a whole lot more than the 200 pounds or so of tension that your body weight will put on it when you’re in the hammock.
It can be a lot more that the person's weight if the tension on the hammock lines are tight.

https://theultimatehang.com/hammock-hang-calculator/

The pulling force on each end will vary from 50% if the lines are both straight up and sharing the weight... to over 6x the weight if the lines are in tension with a Hang Angle of 5 degrees.

The regular sail load is spread over the length of the forestay, so there is not a concentration of tension except for the ends.

Bad idea.

Any engineers want to do the calculations? ;-)
Old 09-02-2021, 12:11   #7

Boat: Pearson 10M

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarlWer View Post
It can be a lot more that the person's weight if the tension on the hammock lines are tight.

https://theultimatehang.com/hammock-hang-calculator/

The pulling force on each end will vary from 50% if the lines are both straight up and sharing the weight... to over 6x the weight if the lines are in tension with a Hang Angle of 5 degrees.

The regular sail load is spread over the length of the forestay, so there is not a concentration of tension except for the ends.

Bad idea.

Any engineers want to do the calculations? ;-)
check here to see the tension on a line caused by a weight in the middle.
https://www.ropelab.com.au/highline-tension-calculator/

We hang the hammock from our spinnaker pole.
guyrj33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 12:21   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyrj33 View Post
check here to see the tension on a line caused by a weight in the middle.
https://www.ropelab.com.au/highline-tension-calculator/

Click image for larger version

Name:	hammockPole.jpg
Views:	251
Size:	225.8 KB
ID:	232197
Old 09-02-2021, 16:59   #9

Boat: Gemini 105Mc+
Send a message via Skype™ to Sailorman Ed

Quote:
I bought a hammock chair to hang out over the water just like this, haven't been able to try it yet.

I also tied my regular hammock to the roller forestay, no issue at all I could tell but I am not very heavy.
Sailorman Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 19:01   #10

Boat: Outremer 55L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailorman Ed View Post
I bought a hammock chair to hang out over the water just like this, haven't been able to try it yet.

I also tied my regular hammock to the roller forestay, no issue at all I could tell but I am not very heavy.

Hammock chairs are awesome. We hang ours from a halyard and tie it to another halyard, or shroud, or jib clew. Super comfortable too, albeit not usually very flat.

This is in our back yard, testing the fit.

Name:	IMG_1612925839.931757.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	395.7 KB
ID:	232212

And this is on our boat in the fore triangle.

Name:	IMG_2669.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	482.1 KB
ID:	232213

I bought it from these guys: https://hamuhk.com/. Bought without the bar for travel, then made it from some 1” dowel.
fxykty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 10:17   #11

Boat: Catalina 445 - 44 feet

I didn't like the idea of putting stress on the jib furling extrusion either, so I built something that looks like it is mounted on the jib but actually doesn't even touch it: I took a mini chain and two broomsticks and drilled holes thru the the sticks near each end of each stick. At one end of each stick I put a long bolt that goes thru the boat's toe rail with a washer and a wing nut, one stick on each side, resting on the inside of the rail. At the top, I have a longer bolt that goes thru both of the sticks at the other end to make a "A" frame. Also, that bolt should go thru a link of the chain. I have a hook on one end of the chain that hooks on the anchor roller, and the other end is attached to the hammock. Once I got the chain in the correct place it just takes a minute to hook this all up, and it holds all 300 lbs of my wife and I (combined weight!) without any stress on anything but the hammock. If this is confusing I have a picture where you can see the A frame but thats about it, so let me know and I'll take a better pic in spring if the snow ever melts.
TackSeason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 10:40   #12

Boat: Catalina 445 - 44 feet

This is the only pic I could find, but all it will do is give you a general idea of the "A" frame at the upper right.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	hammock2.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	449.9 KB
ID:	232256  
TackSeason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 10:54   #13

Boat: Dufour Safari 27'

Quote:
Originally Posted by TackSeason View Post
This is the only pic I could find, but all it will do is give you a general idea of the "A" frame at the upper right.
That looks like a pretty good set up! Simple, easy to set up, easy to store, and it won't put any stress on important components. Good job!
ArmyDaveNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 11:29   #14
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Leopard 40 2009

TackSeason, in your real life are you an engineer? That is a clever setup. Patent the thing and start selling them for $80 at West Marine.

Better to trust the man who is frequently in error than the one who is never in doubt." -- Eric Sevareid
John_Trusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 11:34   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Trusty View Post
TackSeason, in your real life are you an engineer? That is a clever setup. Patent the thing and start selling them for $80 at West Marine.
It is a clever design, but awfully hard to patent after the idea has been published :>(

Tags
jib