Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-05-2020, 09:59   #1

Handrail replacement

I was going to replace my teak handrails on the cabin top with single loop ss ones, but found out the teak rails are bolted every 13" o/c. The stainless steel ones are 12" o/c. Anyone have any input on doing this ? Thanks.
AirborneSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2020, 10:02   #2

Boat: Bruce Roberts Spray, 36' Steel Junk-Rigged Schooner
Re: Handrail replacement

Build your own with off-the-shelf fittings and cut the ss tube to size. Use threaded holes in the tube for the grub screws for safety. Assuming you don't want the expense of getting them welded, that is.
Old 24-05-2020, 10:45   #3

Boat: Catalina Morgan 45

I did exactly as Captn Black suggested. After moving from a 'traditional' boat with teak decks, hand rails, and even blocks, I swore any boat I own in future will never have teak on the exterior, and any external teak I can't remove will be painted!

Anyway...the difficulty is in finding good quality and hearty center handrail stanchions. DO NOT use the cheap screw down center stanchions.

I used these White Cap end fittings, and then ordered these center stanchions from Dawn Marine that you can adjust along the rail to match up with the holes from the teak rail.
Old 26-05-2020, 05:42   #4

I like that. Do they mount with a single stud (?), that will allow me to use the original holes, of the teak handrails ? Thanks.
Old 26-05-2020, 05:47   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirborneSF View Post
I like that. Do they mount with a single stud (?), that will allow me to use the original holes, of the teak handrails ? Thanks.
Usually 3 holes in the base plate. Don't be scared to drill new holes. Seal any exposed core with epoxy, and bed with marine sealant.
Old 26-05-2020, 05:49   #6

And use suitable backing plates! You don't want them to come off unexpectedly in your hand
Old 26-05-2020, 05:52   #7

If you really want to use the original holes you will need to get them custom made, with threaded inserts welded in.
Old 26-05-2020, 06:35   #8

Boat: Shuttleworth Advantage

You need a series of grab rail posts with studs, then use standard tube.
You will have to get some internal closers or have someone seal the ends. External caps might work provided they wont cause a rope catch point.

https://www.boathouse.ca/victory-pro...tud-7369226572
Tupaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2020, 13:54   #9

Thanks all. I kinda wanted to use the holes already there, I've got enough leaks, without any new holes, but I am going to have to reseal either way. I really liked the SS single loop handrail, 3 across the top, and still be able to keep the teak ones inside. I think my best course of action is to just reseal the teak ones, that way they match the inside ones. Again, thanks.

Tags
men