Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-04-2017, 12:45   #91

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37
Re: Handy stuff for pocket cruisers, et al.

Ok, this may get a laugh, but not from my wife! There are times she dreads going below to use the head for #1 while underway, so I took a swimming pool noodle and food container bucket for use in the cockpit when needed by the ladies of the family. In case of urgent need for number 2 just add heavy duty plastic bag. May be crude but the ladies are happy!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5963.jpg
Views:	318
Size:	411.9 KB
ID:	145383   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5964.jpg
Views:	343
Size:	408.0 KB
ID:	145384  

Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2017, 16:56   #92

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
Ok, this may get a laugh, but not from my wife! There are times she dreads going below to use the head for #1 while underway, so I took a swimming pool noodle and food container bucket for use in the cockpit when needed by the ladies of the family. In case of urgent need for number 2 just add heavy duty plastic bag. May be crude but the ladies are happy!
Now that's brilliant!
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2017, 19:31   #93

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

There's a good video series on Youtube where a couple that cruised a Dana 24 from the PNW to New Zealand & back was interviewed about what worked well for them, & the little things they did to their boat to make it a comfortable adventure. Sadly I've misplaced the addy, perhaps someone has it? As they have a lot of good tips along these lines, though most of them are applicable for larger boats as well.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2017, 14:32   #94

Something else I have, that comes in handy, are these absorbent mattress covers. I got them for my son to avoid problems with accidents, but they are great for laying on cushions, or anywhere, under leaks, or near the companionway, on a windy splashy day. Rinse in fresh water, hang out on a hot day, repeat. Get grommets from a craft store to add to corners to help hang it or place it.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screen shot 2017-04-23 at 2.31.26 PM.jpg
Views:	298
Size:	210.1 KB
ID:	146121  
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Old 23-04-2017, 16:36   #95

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

I added to my toolbox an old style, eggbeater DRILL. Its a manual drill that works great on fiberglass and wood. Very handy when you need a pilot hole for a screw to mount something. And uses no electricity, no battery, no cord...works forever using simple elbow grease.

They make new versions of these, but an old one from a yard sale works even better.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2655.jpg
Views:	281
Size:	429.3 KB
ID:	146131   Click image for larger version

Name:	millers-falls-5a-eggbeater-drill-04e5b6d3437d295790ab61e3727a71db.jpg
Views:	270
Size:	31.7 KB
ID:	146132  

Name:	c14f7352bc6e0882e4962669a3d4290d.jpg
Views:	349
Size:	31.8 KB
ID:	146133  
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2017, 18:41   #96

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamburking View Post
I added to my toolbox an old style, eggbeater DRILL. Its a manual drill that works great on fiberglass and wood. Very handy when you need a pilot hole for a screw to mount something. And uses no electricity, no battery, no cord...works forever using simple elbow grease.

They make new versions of these, but an old one from a yard sale works even better.
Great tip, but these are hard to find! None of my local hardware stores have'em.
Amazon help me!

Now about the head. Amazon has the Thetford 5 gallon tank port a potty for under a hundred bucks now. It is IMO the best model. Easy to empty, no leaks, good size seat. Now I know there are folks who don't like 'em, but after dealing with leaky or rusty or stinky heads and holding tanks, I ripped mine out, holding tank and all and put in one of these Thetfords and it is great. No leaks or smell. Easy to use, no plugged lines or thru-hull issues. And more space available in my little boat.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Old 29-04-2017, 18:49   #97
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Don they are everywhere look under hand drill or Yankee drill. https://www.google.com/search?redir_...67786&devloc=0
Old 30-04-2017, 05:07   #98

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

Quote:
Great tip on eggbeater drills, but these are hard to find! None of my local hardware stores have'em.
Now you have a reason to go to yard sales, estate auctions, and browse craigslist till you find one. I found an old one on kijiji for $10 and it works great.

NEXT...I love these dollar store water pumps. They are meant as a children's toy, but they are very handy pumps on the boat. And they cost $1. I use them to drain the last bit of water from the icebox or bilge, or to get a little water from over the side to wash away some dirt on deck real quick. I keep a couple in the dinghy as bailers.

Then I got creative, and used duct tape to attach a narrow diameter hose about 3 feet long, and used it as an oil change pump. It was slow, but it worked. And when I was done the whole filthy/oily thing went into the trash. I build a new one each time I change the oil. Total cost is about $2 with pump, hose and tape.

They look like a giant crayon. They work surprisingly well. They come in two sizes (big and small).

And in a pinch, I guess, if you have to, you could let your kids borrow them. Although I have no idea what kids on a boat would do with a little pump that shoots a blast of water 20 feet. Be warned...they sink.

And did I mention the price... ONE DOLLAR...one CANADIAN dollar...thats like 73 cents usd. I don't think west marine has any pumps (or any item at all) at that price.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	wgwatlg.jpg
Views:	277
Size:	23.0 KB
ID:	146508  
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2017, 05:55   #99

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Here's some handy info https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...lager+sailboat

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2017, 06:33   #100

Boat: Tartan 37

Love this collapsible silicone tea pot.

https://www.amazon.com/Dltsli-portab...licone+tea+pot
puffcard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2017, 13:57   #101

That's clever

I keep a few in the cockpit lockers for delivering the occasional broadside on a hot summer day. And one in the dink for the last little bit.
But now that you mention it this would be perfect for when water gets into her Achilles keel. The PO of my boat filled most of it with sakrete. But there is a little spot that sometimes collects water and I don't have a bilge pump for the three or four quarts it holds. These will fit past the shaft to get in there! Thank you!

Quote:

NEXT...I love these dollar store water pumps. They are meant as a children's toy, but they are very handy pumps on the boat. And they cost $1. I use them to drain the last bit of water from the icebox or bilge, or to get a little water from over the side to wash away some dirt on deck real quick. I keep a couple in the dinghy as bailers. .
Cu Mor Glas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 18:32   #102

Boat: Tanzer 8.5 #51

Quote:
I stocked up on film canisters before they became obsolete. Camera stores, or anywhere that developed file used to dump them by the hundreds. They are handy for storing small parts...I keep different types of screws, nuts, and electrical fittings in them. Some people use them for spices. They are also handy for coins, especially when you have no pockets.
I use the film canisters too, for my coins! But I didn't stock up like you, so now I use the Kinder Surprise canisters:Click image for larger version

Name:	Kinder-Surprise-also-known-as-a-Kinder-Egg.jpg
Views:	288
Size:	67.1 KB
ID:	147465

Easy to carry in backpack, fanny pack, etc.
Old 10-05-2017, 19:18   #103

Boat: Tanzer 8.5 #51

Quote:
I just got one of these a couple weeks ago. I didn't mount it I just sit it on a table or up in the v-berth for the kids. It's pretty nifty, when they (or I) get up in the dark they just have to wave their hand and it lights up and it is bright! It rotates so I just shoot it up on the ceiling and it lights the whole place up.
I like it!

I found these lights at IKEA:
RAMSTA Minilamp, battery-operated - IKEA
Uses 3x AAA batteries.

I was going to replace my automotive style cabin lights for LED, but this may be a better (cheaper, faster) solution. Plus there is a magnet on the back so I can stick it to the underside of my galley sink to light up my engine bay.
Old 10-05-2017, 19:51   #104

Boat: 1993 Mac Clasic 26

Colman propane coffeepot!
Comes in a stainless version, screw in a green bottle, add filter and coffee, click click, and coffee just like at home!!
Fmspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 20:13   #105

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fmspeed View Post
Colman propane coffeepot!
Comes in a stainless version, screw in a green bottle, add filter and coffee, click click, and coffee just like at home!!
This one? Good idea!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screen shot 2017-05-10 at 8.12.05 PM.png
Views:	294
Size:	201.3 KB
ID:	147466  
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37

Tags
cruise, cruiser, pocket cruiser