Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-09-2019, 10:06   #136
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Has anyone been following Greta and Boris Herrmmann?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentePieds View Post
Why pick on Catholicism and Islam? You are English, aren't you ;-0)?

Greta's mob was christianized at swordpoint. As was mine. Sometimes that stuff doesn't take. Even after a thousand years :-)!

TP
Maybe because I grew up in an Islamic country and from age 6 to 10 I was at a Catholic School run by nuns..
The proud boast is.. "Give me a child from 7 to 11 and I will give you a Catholic for life"
As for your side, Loki became Lucifer for example and much of the old Norse religion was manipulated to aid conversion.
They could not manage it in the Americas so Ethnic cleansing was the preferred option.
Mind, Sikhism, Jainism, Buddhism, Hinduism and others also surrounded my formative years..
I was born Church of England.. but Luther is a crock of $h1t as well.

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."
Self defence is not an excuse for murder.
Old 02-09-2019, 11:15   #137

Re: Has anyone been following Greta and Boris Herrmmann?

Didn't think it was Luther that hit you so hard - thot it was Calvin. And we've seen where that's led us :-)

TP
Old 02-09-2019, 12:00   #138

Boat: no boat any more

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post

A+1 Gord.
A+1
(“obstructionist denier”- I like that one!)
Old 02-09-2019, 12:25   #139

Boat: Bristol 47.7

Originally Posted by Exile:

indoctrinate | inˈdäktrəˌnāt |
verb [with object]
teach (a person or group) to accept a set of beliefs uncritically

Quote:
Like Catholicism and Islam you mean..
Exactly! Errrr . . . with no offense intended to those of the Catholic, Islamic, or Church of Climate Change faiths.
Old 02-09-2019, 13:03   #140
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentePieds View Post
Didn't think it was Luther that hit you so hard - thot it was Calvin. And we've seen where that's led us :-)

TP
https://www.google.com/amp/s/bluffki...acraments/amp/

Henry the 8th was responsible for starting the Church of England.

Old 02-09-2019, 13:30   #141
cruiser

Quote:
https://www.google.com/amp/s/bluffki...acraments/amp/

Henry the 8th was responsible for starting the Church of England.
Before or after he murdered 2 of his wives??
Old 02-09-2019, 14:25   #142
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoleo View Post
Before or after he murdered 2 of his wives??
Before, thats how he divorced Catherine of Aragon.. and they were not murdered, they were executed.

Old 02-09-2019, 14:36   #143

Boat: Island Packet 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Greta, for one, seems quite capable of stringing more than a few words together, forming coherent sentences, elucidating comprehensible concepts.
I very much doubt that the admiration of obstructionist deniers is very high on her priority list.
I'd be even more impressed, if someone like you "developed a new battery with four times the energy density at a quarter the cost and half the weight of lithium".
Nah, she's not stringing them together, there is a whole army of adult CC/AGM proponents doing that. Greta is just the cute young presenter being exploited to present the dogma in an endearing fashion.

Having done my bit in discovering and developing the oil and gas fields of the world which RELIABLY powers all our motor vehicles, generates a significant portion of our electricity, and cooks a considerable portion of our food I am retired to full time cruising as I consider the rest of my life my own to do with as I deservedly wish.

I actually agree with those who wish to see a transition from massive, filthy coal burning electricity generation and hydrocarbon fueled transportation. It is a very poor way to power a modern civilization. Sooner or later we will have to make a transition to cleaner, less environmentally damaging methods. The big question is how do we do it.

Because of the activities of the CC/AGW zealots Australia has become a nation of lab rats in the "renewables" experiment that the left side of politics has cursed us with.

Because of the massive subsidies squandered on the so called renewables we have managed to go from having one of the lowest cost and reliable electricity generation and distribution systems in the world to one approaching third world standards with one large population centre having the worlds most expensive electricity supply after they demolished their coal fired electricity generating plants and went ro reliance on wind, solar and imported coal fired power.

The most southern states barely made it through the last summer without serious long term power blackouts but the authorities have issued warnings that if the next summer is very hot more extensive failures and consequent deprivations can be expected.

A large component of the CC/AGMs zealots policies were included in the election platforms of our leftist political parties during our last federal election, which they were generally considered to be the most likely winners of, however it appears that the public is waking to the dangers of these misguided folks and they lost the election. It appears that in Australia the public has woken up to the lies and propaganda of the "cheaper and reliable renewables" story and push back against radical CC/AGM zealotry has begun.

The other nation where the radical CC/AGM solutions were enthusiastically grasped, also with a considerable "green" body politic was Germany and from the little I can garner from media reports they are having second thoughts, it also having been an expensive fiasco.

As more of the lights go of in the western world the day of denouement for the ratbag CC/AGM element comes closer. Hopefully the media attention grabbing activities of the Greta,s of the world will then be seen for what they are and the serious, responsible adults, those that do educate themselves and go to work at developing better methods of power production and usage, will assume the task of making a responsible, least economically damaging transition to a cleaner world.
Old 02-09-2019, 15:04   #144

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondR View Post
the serious, responsible adults, those that do educate themselves and go to work at developing better methods of power production and usage, will assume the task of making a responsible, least economically damaging transition to a cleaner world.
and these people are where right now? Are they waiting in the wings for the children and nut-jobs to get out of the way? I think the kids are just trying to say, "step up and hurry up all you serious, responsible adults!"
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Old 02-09-2019, 15:14   #145

You missed my allusion Boatie :-)! Even I know that 'Ennery "reformed" the Henglish church for entirely pragmatic reasons. He remained a crypto-catholic as anyone will know who hangs with "High Church" people.

Retrospectives on The Tudor Age are entertaining, but it's the Jacobean Age that is INTERESTING. It was under Jimmy I that people like Robert Brown, who was born a few years after "Ennery had passed his job on to Lizzie, and who in his youth was busy preaching Calvinism, gained influence and his followers became such a PITA that Jimmy, who was really quite an enlightened ruler, had stern words with them. They then had the wisdom to check out for Calvinist Leiden in the Low Countries.

When they returned to The Sceptered Isle, having made themselves unpopular in Leiden also, Jimmy was not sorry to see them board a decrepit old coaster and depart for distant shores. Despite her lovely name, Mayflower, she was a bit of a dog, that coaster, but she made it, and ever since there have been those who regret that it wasn't Plymouth Rock that landed on the Pilgrim Fathers :-)

The rest is, as they say, the "Legends of the Victors". :-)

TP
Old 02-09-2019, 15:23   #146
cruiser

Quote:
Before, thats how he divorced Catherine of Aragon.. and they were not murdered, they were executed.
I see. So they were "executed" by the hand of god and not by the orders of the King?
Old 02-09-2019, 15:38   #147
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
I see. So they were "executed" by the hand of god and not by the orders of the King?
Only if you believe theres a god.. but hey if you want to get righteous go for it, the crimes of men are many.

Old 02-09-2019, 19:43   #148
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondR View Post
Nah, she's not stringing them together, there is a whole army of adult CC/AGM proponents doing that. Greta is just the cute young presenter being exploited to present the dogma in an endearing fashion.

Having done my bit in discovering and developing the oil and gas fields of the world which RELIABLY powers all our motor vehicles, generates a significant portion of our electricity, and cooks a considerable portion of our food I am retired to full time cruising as I consider the rest of my life my own to do with as I deservedly wish.

I actually agree with those who wish to see a transition from massive, filthy coal burning electricity generation and hydrocarbon fueled transportation. It is a very poor way to power a modern civilization. Sooner or later we will have to make a transition to cleaner, less environmentally damaging methods. The big question is how do we do it.

Because of the activities of the CC/AGW zealots Australia has become a nation of lab rats in the "renewables" experiment that the left side of politics has cursed us with.

Because of the massive subsidies squandered on the so called renewables we have managed to go from having one of the lowest cost and reliable electricity generation and distribution systems in the world to one approaching third world standards with one large population centre having the worlds most expensive electricity supply after they demolished their coal fired electricity generating plants and went ro reliance on wind, solar and imported coal fired power.

The most southern states barely made it through the last summer without serious long term power blackouts but the authorities have issued warnings that if the next summer is very hot more extensive failures and consequent deprivations can be expected.

A large component of the CC/AGMs zealots policies were included in the election platforms of our leftist political parties during our last federal election, which they were generally considered to be the most likely winners of, however it appears that the public is waking to the dangers of these misguided folks and they lost the election. It appears that in Australia the public has woken up to the lies and propaganda of the "cheaper and reliable renewables" story and push back against radical CC/AGM zealotry has begun.

The other nation where the radical CC/AGM solutions were enthusiastically grasped, also with a considerable "green" body politic was Germany and from the little I can garner from media reports they are having second thoughts, it also having been an expensive fiasco.

As more of the lights go of in the western world the day of denouement for the ratbag CC/AGM element comes closer. Hopefully the media attention grabbing activities of the Greta,s of the world will then be seen for what they are and the serious, responsible adults, those that do educate themselves and go to work at developing better methods of power production and usage, will assume the task of making a responsible, least economically damaging transition to a cleaner world.
Nice spiel Captain! I am a denier who hates to see fossil oil and gas wasted . I believe it cant be replaced and to waste it making electricity when safe non polluting nuke power is available is a crime.
Old 03-09-2019, 03:03   #149
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Nice spiel Captain! I am a denier who hates to see fossil oil and gas wasted . I believe it cant be replaced and to waste it making electricity when safe non polluting nuke power is available is a crime.
And how do you propose disposing of the spent fuel rods etc.. burying is not a safe option, attempts at burying other nasties has proved useless as subsidence, tremors and plain crap storage has proved.

Old 03-09-2019, 05:23   #150

Boat: Lagoon 400S2

This thread is about following St. Greta.
My answer is no, why should I?