Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-08-2019, 17:53   #76
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: Has anyone been following Greta and Boris Herrmmann?

To compare Jet-A has 400-800 PPM of sulphur.
The Diesel fuel I assume most of us burn is allowed 15 PPM max.

So flying Commercially it’s more than just the amount of fuel that is burned.
Old 31-08-2019, 18:22   #77

Boat: Formosa 30 ketch

Sort of like Solar Impulse circling the globe using "not one drop of fossil fuel", carefully ignoring the 250 gph fuel burn of the IL-76 support aircraft.
Old 31-08-2019, 18:57   #78

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by boat_alexandra View Post
Why can I not buy a ticket by sea for a small fraction of the cost of flying??

For one thing, factor in the addition costs of that sea voyage. The airfare doesn't provide you with accommodation and meals for days.

How does the sea ticket compare to an airfare plus say a week of hotel accommodation and meals.
Old 31-08-2019, 18:59   #79

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailasia View Post
I wonder if there was any guns onboard? Do you think they should have carried them if they did have them?

More importantly, what sort of anchor(s) and how much chain are they/should they be carrying?
Old 31-08-2019, 19:03   #80

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile View Post
Think "white horse." As in riding sailing in to save us from ourselves. Besides, the sailboat thingy sells better. Btw, I wonder how she's getting home?

Apparently no one is talking about that.
Old 31-08-2019, 19:11   #81

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatyarddog View Post
We do its called awareness and change.

But the "change" is not about adaptation, it's about changing civilisation to influence what you claim can't be influenced by man i.e. "climate change"
Just a couple of recent reports on her trip:

"Her aims might be modest in the immediate, but she will also start a four-month campaign to curb the world’s carbon emissions in the hope of preventing long-lasting damage to the planet."

"But the main event on Ms Thunberg’s calendar will take place on 23 September.The activist will address UN member states at a UN net zero emissions summit.
UN Secretary-General António Guterres is calling on all leaders for concrete, realistic plans to reduce greenhouse gas emissions by 45 per cent over the next decade, and to net zero emissions by 2050."

That's not adaptation to climate change, it's allegedly meant to prevent it.

It hardly fits with your stated:
"Guess what, we're not going to change the climate our climate is changing us. We can only prepare for its arrival."
Old 31-08-2019, 19:15   #82

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
To compare Jet-A has 400-800 PPM of sulphur.
The Diesel fuel I assume most of us burn is allowed 15 PPM max.

So flying Commercially it’s more than just the amount of fuel that is burned.

Ah, sulphur! Doesn't it cool the atmosphere by reflecting incoming radiation? Wasn't that what the '70s global cooling alarmism was predicated on?

Guess we need more of it to counteract that dirty carbon.
Fly, baby, fly!
Old 31-08-2019, 22:29   #83

Boat: no boat any more

Boatyarddog: so the yacht was already there.....hmmmm
the planes are all there, as are the cars, the plasticbags, the meat, the whatever...
people like the young swedish lady want to save us all...hmmm
scientists disagree about many aspects & possible solutions of climate change - but the young swedish lady knows the way to take...hmmm
I used to think differently, but with people arguing & acting like that & their following behaving like they do I'm more & more inclined to think: BS!
Old 01-09-2019, 01:07   #84

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by double u View Post
Boatyarddog: so the yacht was already there.....hmmmm
the planes are all there, as are the cars, the plasticbags, the meat, the whatever...
people like the young swedish lady want to save us all...hmmm
scientists disagree about many aspects & possible solutions of climate change - but the young swedish lady knows the way to take...hmmm
I used to think differently, but with people arguing & acting like that & their following behaving like they do I'm more & more inclined to think: BS!
But the boat doesn't emit ANY pollution now that it's built. That's the difference. Not sure why you are missing that.

It doesn't have an engine or generator or fuel.
Old 01-09-2019, 01:14   #85

the "fuel" the boat is "burning up" are the emissions that are going into replacements of it's "consumables" as sails (150.000-180.000E "la garderobe"!), antifouling, ropes, general maintenance of an "F1-machine"...none of which grow on trees...(antifouling & zero emission - that's a good one!)
Old 01-09-2019, 01:15   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
Ah, sulphur! Doesn't it cool the atmosphere by reflecting incoming radiation? Wasn't that what the '70s global cooling alarmism was predicated on?

Guess we need more of it to counteract that dirty carbon.
Fly, baby, fly!
How does sulfur dioxide affect human health?

Sulfur dioxide affects human health when it is breathed in. It irritates the nose, throat, and airways to cause coughing, wheezing, shortness of breath, or a tight feeling around the chest. The effects of sulfur dioxide are felt very quickly and most people would feel the worst symptoms in 10 or 15 minutes after breathing it in.

Those most at risk of developing problems if they are exposed to sulfur dioxide are people with asthma or similar conditions.

As someone with harsh enough asthma from air pollution to nearly cost me the ability to sail, I support cleaner air.

Has anyone here ever not been able to breathe? Have you experienced the sensation of drowning in your own lungs and and gasping for air as you choke on gallons of mucus forming deep in your lungs?

Every time particulates go above yellow levels and I'm outside, I can no longer breathe. I can wear an N95 mask to fix it, run an air conditioner or stay inside with a HEPA filter. There are others who have these problems with ozone and sulphur dioxide from this post.

If we can have cleaner air and prevent people from developing the problems I now have, why wouldn't we?

Global warming or not, clean air helps every last one of us. We all breathe.
Old 01-09-2019, 01:29   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by double u View Post
the "fuel" the boat is "burning up" are the emissions that are going into replacements of it's "consumables" as sails (150.000-180.000E "la garderobe"!), antifouling, ropes, general maintenance of an "F1-machine"...none of which grow on trees...(antifouling & zero emission - that's a good one!)
You still don't get it. Smh.

The planes and cars you are saying have equal emissions have exactly the same consumables as the boat does. Tires, brakes, repainting aircraft, remanufacturing the gas turbines in the engines, PLUS they spew out exhaust continuously while in operation.

What is your problem? How do you sit here saying a sailing boat pollutes as much as a car or a plane? What is your issue that you can possibly be so rabidly hating sailing? .

You seem to be on the wrong forum.
Old 01-09-2019, 01:54   #88

"What is your issue that you can possibly be so rabidly hating sailing?" - better look at my profile, Chotu before writing that, thank you very much!
Nowhere did I say anything about cars' ore planes' emissions. You were going out on a limb with " the boat doesn't emit ANY pollution now that it's built"
Old 01-09-2019, 01:58   #89

I am just very conscious of the fact that nearly everything here aboard - again please see profile - boat, sails, ...is made of plastic & has one way or another, during production/ use &/or disposal a very negative effect on the environment.
& we are lightyears away from the climate impact of an open 60 racer!
Old 01-09-2019, 03:16   #90
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

In August 2018, Greta Thunberg started a school strike for the climate, outside the Swedish Parliament, that has since spread all over the world, and now involves over 100,000 schoolchildren. The movement is now called Fridays For Future.
Thunberg has spoken at climate rallies in Stockholm, Helsinki, Brussels and London. In December she attended the United Nations COP24 in Katowice, Poland, where she addressed the Secretary-General and made a plenary speech, that went viral, and was shared many million times around the globe. In January 2019 she was invited to the World Economic Forum in Davos where her speeches again made a worldwide impact.
We need many more voices from Greta Thunberg’s generation, prepared to boldly call out the abysmal and ongoing failure of our generations. Applying Occam’s razor to our delusional substitutes for action, this fifteen year old (now sixteen) revealed just how pathetic our efforts have been. In so doing, Greta opened up space for a younger generation to command a new and constructive dialogue.

I don’t know where some of us get our information about Greta’s position, but it appears certain it’s not from her actual speeches. Her message is remarkably clear and simple, and consistent across the many venues she’s addressed.

I suggest we could all benefit from reading some (or even 1) of Greta Thunberg’s (short) speeches:
https://www.fridaysforfuture.org/gre...ch_july23_2019

As far as her “seeing carbon dioxide” goes, I’ll let Greta explain the metaphor:
https://www.facebook.com/gretathunbe...3189474715541/

FWIW:
Thunberg’s parents are Svante Thunberg, an actor, and Malena Ernman, a very well-known opera singer.
Both Greta and her younger sister, Beata, have been diagnosed with autism, A.D.H.D., Aspergers syndrome, OCD and other conditions.

Closed Thread