Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-03-2016, 07:20   #46
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Has My Boat Flipped?

Jedi.. in the Royal Navy the 1600 to 2000 watch is split into 1st dog and 2nd dog watch..
This is to allow both Port and Starboard watches to get their evening meal without the galley having to remain open from 1700 to 2030 as all other normal watches are a 4hr rotation.
Could also explain the expression.. 'The Dog's Dinner'..

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 08:52   #47

Boat: Formerly Pearson 28-1, now just a sailing dinghy
Re: Has My Boat Flipped?

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Jedi.. in the Royal Navy the 1600 to 2000 watch is split into 1st dog and 2nd dog watch..

This is to allow both Port and Starboard watches to get their evening meal without the galley having to remain open from 1700 to 2030 as all other normal watches are a 4hr rotation.

Could also explain the expression.. 'The Dog's Dinner'..

But do you know why it is called the dog watch? Because, my good fellow, it is simply that, compared to the regular 4-hour watches, the dog watches are cur-tailed!

Credit: Patrick o'brien

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
brownoarsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 09:03   #48

"What's sad is that I watch some of these videos of actual boat brokers and salesman calling the staterooms, bedroom. The Galley, the kitchen, the head the bathroom and what kills me is when say to the customer, " now lets go downstairs" not below. That one always made my Dad crazy. The boating industry itself is dumbing down the consumer."

Surely we can expect nothing less - or more. There is NO WAY a mass-production industry of any kind, particularly one predicated on conspicuous consumption, can exist, let alone pursue the grail of market share, if it confines itself to selling only to the knowledgeable. "Selling into a market of ignorance" is the sine qua non. If we don't have a market that is ignorant by nature - well, then let's just create one. Madison Avenue had that figgered out a hundred and twenty years ago!

TrentePieds
TrentePieds is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 10:14   #49

Boat: Idylles 15.5
Send a message via Yahoo to Idylles15.5

It can actually be dangerous in a way. I was yelling a friend of mine to get to the bow of the boat in a hurry because some idiot in Block Island, (who obviously had enough money to buy a boat but didn't grow up on one), was about to plow into my boat. I kept yelling get to the bow. He stood there like a deer in the headlights. I finally ran up myself to fend the boat off. OOOFA, so now we all have to say run to the front of the boat dummy instead of using the proper terminology. My girlfriend learned pretty quick what was what when she called the head the bathroom and I rolled my eyes. As my Dad would say " shape up or ship out"
Idylles15.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 11:17   #50

I have never found that their ignorance of "nautical language" is a problem when I have lubbers in my boat. The reason is that I "single-hand" regardless of the number of lubbers I may have aboard, so the safety of the vessel and/or the "crew" (passengers) isn't jeopardized by a lubber's failure to understand simple stuff like "Gybe-HO!". More significantly, the safety of the vessel isn't jeopardized by MY relying on a lubber to do what I had no right to expect that he would know how to do. Since sailing, like war, consists of long periods of utter boredom punctuated by moments of utter terror, there is plenty of time to teach during the long intervals with "nothing to do".

This is actually one of my standard teaching devices: As we are broad-reaching along on the first day out, I'll say "Jenny, please sit down, cos if you don't that big lump of wood there (I point to the boom) will smack you on head, and I guarantee you, you won't like that!" Then, when Jenny has sat down, I bring the boom over with as much conviction as the rig will stand. This is the perfect and effective intro to my canned spiel on knowing "funny words, like 'boom'" being a safety requirement, "so we'd better learn them". This, then, ties the day's "practicum" together with the evening's "classroom lecture" on nautical terminology and safety afloat.

But teaching boat handling is like teaching accounting — They won't learn unless you make them laugh :-).

TrentePieds
TrentePieds is online now   Reply With Quote