Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-08-2021, 06:52   #1

Boat: 1982 CT 54
Haul out in Grenada

Good Day All,

It looks like I might have to move my boat from Trinidad to Grenada to finish my refit.

Any recommendations on boat yards in Grenada where I can haul out and do some of my own work?

Any first hand experience would be greatly appreciated.

Trinidad is requiring, as per their government site, a 2 week quarantine even if you are vaccinated. I just can’t afford to do that every time I visit. I spoke with a Trinidad government official yesterday (08/05/21) and I explained I was fully vaccinated and they told me it doesn’t matter, you must quarantine for 14 days in one of their approved sites. That is about $2500 + food for the 2 weeks.

Thanks,
Jim
shipchips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2021, 04:26   #2

Boat: Conser 47
Re: Haul out in Grenada

I used Grenada Marine on the south side of Grenada. They have a 70 ton wide lift I think about 32’. I was very happy with them. They did good work at reasonable prices.
RunawayC47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2021, 20:58   #3

Boat: 1976 Alajuela 38 MK I

Carriacou Marine in Tyrel Bay
gallatin1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2021, 08:54   #4

Moving to Grenada next January. Need to book in advance for a long stay in the boatyard?
bruno2209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2021, 11:16   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Grenada Marine.

They allow you to do many things yourself, but not all.

I found that once I got past the discipline manager the actual workers were pretty good. The sail loft is decent. The rigger was OK. The mechanic talks a good line.

It is kind if out of the way. I think if you are going to be there a bit and you kind of ingratiate yourself to the tribe things may go easier for you.

Most folks, self included, found they could do good work but it required a lot of Owner involvement to induce action. Basically it will not get done while you are gone.

And yet some folks are very fond of the place and speak very highly. I suspect they figured out the tribal magic.

Has a nice little bar/restaurant. A very nice and inexpensive hotel in walking distance. I believe you can find local rooms to rent. I always had luck renting cars and having them delivered there. Bus service to town.

I would go back.

Just my experience.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2021, 11:22   #6

Thanks for your great hints! Do you believe a reservation is necessary before arriving?
Old 26-12-2021, 12:29   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

A reservation? Yes.
TWO reasons
First the obvious, that they have space for you
Second, sometimes insurance companies limit how many yachts they will insure in any one location. so you need an insurance “spot” also. Grenada Marine said they could hook me up with a liability carrier if needed, but never did need.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2021, 00:03   #8

I had a look at the rates sheet and it look 20% more expensive than Grenada Marina. Do you know why?

Tags
Grenada, haul out