Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-05-2021, 20:14   #1

Haul out options

Hi All
I have just purchased a L46 cat that needs a reasonably major refit.
I have narrowed it down to the following haul out options;
Norsands
Oceania marine services
Both in Whangarei

Tauranga Marine society

The first two yards are full service type setups with their own tradies on-site
The yard in Tauranga doesn’t have its own tradies and you can bring people in without incurring a surcharge .

The costs for the haul out and handstand are similar (+-20%)
The boat is currently located in Opua
Has anyone got any advice on where to go/ not go.
They all seem very helpful over the phone but I am getting contradictory stories the more people I chat to.
Your feedback would be appreciated
Jimmy
james h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2021, 21:47   #2

Re: Haul out options

You might consider Marsden Cove Marina Haulout and Hardstand

https://marsdencovemarina.co.nz/mari...tand-facility/
johnzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2021, 22:13   #3

Boat: Outremer 50S

We hauled our boat at Norsand two years in a row while we were in that part of the world. We were quite happy overall. Here are the less positive comments that may or may not affect your decision.
  1. The vast majority of the yard is not paved. Didn’t make a difference to us but may or may not be important.
  2. Norsand hauls on a trailer and they are very good at it, and a trailer is our preference. But that means they can only haul a couple of boats a day at the high tide. Scheduling becomes critical.
  3. The ablution facilities are boatyard typical.
We did most of our own work and found many of the supply places we needed conveniently close. We did have Norsand do some work and they were good, priced within reason, but you will have to be a project manager to keep things on track. We also had a couple of outside vendors, no yard surcharge (at the time - 2018).

I’d happily recommend them overall but there are some caveats that will depend on what type of yard you’re looking for. Also, the business seems to be perennially up for sale, if it has changed hands since we were there then I can’t speak to how it is currently run.
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2021, 23:16   #4

Boat: Outremer 55L

I will second a recommendation for Norsand. We have been hauled out there twice, plus the boat was on the hard there when we bought her.

Last year, June and July 2020, we spent 6 weeks on a variety of jobs: rigging replacement, new solar panels frame and panels installation over the davits, new bow pole, plus a bottom scrape and paint. No problems at all to mix own work, outside contractors, and on-site workers.

The yard manager Mark is great and the on-site rigger Jerry is very good. There’s a local marine electrician business on-site and other services happy to come to Norsand. Precision Engineering is just down the road and will do just about any re-engineering or new custom work.

Most of the yard is unpaved and can get mucky - we kept a big water tray and bristle mat on the stern steps to keep the mess off the decks.

The bathroom and kitchen facilities are just fine, though not fancy. Fridge space is adequate and there’s a big bbq. Delivery services are very familiar with Norsand.

Still the same owners, but doing it tough with the large number of foreign boats with owners caught overseas.
fxykty is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
haul out