Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

View Poll Results: Do you like help from strangers on the dock?
Yes, I appreciate the help. 116 61.38%
No, I'd rather go it alone. 63 33.33%
Maybe, I have a hard time making choices. 4 2.12%
I have no opinion but I wanted to vote. 6 3.17%
Voters: 189. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-05-2022, 19:03   #166

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310
Re: Help from strangers while docking? A poll and my rambling musings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
I can pick numbers out of the sky as well. How about 1 in 1000. Does that make you feel better?
That’s it Mike. Come to the dark side. Stop suffering fools, and say it in plain English. Now go get on one of those wannabe circumnavigators with no brains but $800k….
Old 02-05-2022, 19:52   #167

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetepare View Post
That’s it Mike. Come to the dark side. Stop suffering fools, and say it in plain English.

Thanks. I think I did.
Old 04-05-2022, 07:10   #168

If I am conveniently near a boat entering a marina, I will always ask if they would like a hand with their lines, if they say yes, I wait until they are close and ask the crew which line I should take and where they want me to tie it.

A surprising amount of people say they do not need a hand, but the ones that do always seem eternally grateful as if I had just saved the life of their first born. So I will always ask.

I ask the crew what to do with the lines as I don't want to distract the Skipper and the crew that is standing on the side of the boat holding the line probably knows the plan well enough to let me in on it.

Everyone always seems happy with this.
barkwright99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2022, 07:24   #169

Quote:
Originally Posted by barkwright99 View Post
If I am conveniently near a boat entering a marina, I will always ask if they would like a hand with their lines, if they say yes, I wait until they are close and ask the crew which line I should take and where they want me to tie it.

A surprising amount of people say they do not need a hand, but the ones that do always seem eternally grateful as if I had just saved the life of their first born. So I will always ask.

I ask the crew what to do with the lines as I don't want to distract the Skipper and the crew that is standing on the side of the boat holding the line probably knows the plan well enough to let me in on it.

Everyone always seems happy with this.
More a problem with the way the poll was phrased. It's not a game of absolutes.

There are very rare times when having help is welcome. Example: had a transmission failure on our twin engine power boat years ago that left it stuck in forward gear. Called ahead and there were 6-8 people waiting to help as I was going to have to kill one engine and work with one offset power plant. But there was a call ahead of time and a discussion of how we were going to do it. I was very grateful.

Vast majority of the time, we have it under control. If you want to stand on the dock to await (and then follow) instructions from the captain that's fine but unlike your description, many will take it upon themselves to decide what needs to happen and then take action without being requested. Since I don't know which camp you fall in, if things are going fine, I'm going to tell you to stand by and do nothing.

Yes, some do seem eternally grateful, usually, they are the ones who clearly don't know what they are doing. If you are going to ram the dock anyway, having someone shoreside help you do it, doesn't come across as much worse.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2022, 07:24   #170

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarinaPDX View Post
Gee,after reading these posts I can't imagine why other nationals think Americans are rude...

Just sayin'

Greg
What's rude about not wanting someone to cause your home to ram a dock?

Just sayin'
Old 06-05-2022, 05:18   #171

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
More a problem with the way the poll was phrased. It's not a game of absolutes.
I think you're looking for "maybe". If you like, think of is as "sometimes" instead.

- AT
Atcowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2022, 05:48   #172

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atcowboy View Post
I think you're looking for "maybe". If you like, think of is as "sometimes" instead.

- AT
Again, poorly defined.

"maybe" implies to me that you don't know.
"sometimes" implies to me that it's a regular occurrence just not always.

Neither equates with "rare extreme situations"

It's a common issue with polls and I doubt the OP did it on purpose but this is a common technique by polling firms to get the desired answer. They know there is a difference between the dictionary definition and how people view certain terms. Always take polls with a huge grain of salt.
Old 06-05-2022, 06:02   #173

Well, it is interesting that the poll has stabilized at about 2/3rd saying "yes," and 1/3 saying "no."

There are too many unaccounted variables or factors for this to tell us much about the why. Is it cultural? Boat size/type? Crew considerations? Skill set of dock denizens? Likely it's a combination of these, and other factors.

All we can really say is, about 2/3rd of CF users who took this poll appreciate docking assistance. Interesting...
Old 06-05-2022, 06:22   #174

How would you deny the help?

It turns into the captain yelling at a stranger on the dock. It would create a distraction for all parties.
JC Reefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2022, 06:30   #175

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
Again, poorly defined.

"maybe" implies to me that you don't know.
"sometimes" implies to me that it's a regular occurrence just not always.

Neither equates with "rare extreme situations"

It's a common issue with polls and I doubt the OP did it on purpose but this is a common technique by polling firms to get the desired answer. They know there is a difference between the dictionary definition and how people view certain terms. Always take polls with a huge grain of salt.
I'm the op lol. Your selection is maybe. Regardless of any extraneous circumstances that makes it a maybe (age of boater, weather, size of boat, "rare extreme circumstances", etc.) you might want help. I am a no. Unless I'm calling the USCG the worse the conditions get the more I will NOT want help because the higher the stakes the more I'm going to rely on my known skill set and make my plans accordingly and not count on a wild card at the dock. While it appears that some people would like more granulation in the data as to what make a person vote yes/no/maybe, I don't think it's very important nor would I be inclined to parse the data. I also previously described the limitations of the polling provided by CF.

I was more interested in the discussion that would ensue. As an engineer by trade, I appreciate the pedantry, but the options are 1, 0, and .5 lol. The fourth, is my effort at a dad joke. Unfortunately in this case, it isn't sinister efforts by the Illuminati to manipulate the outcome of the pole .

- AT
Old 06-05-2022, 06:32   #176

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC Reefer View Post
How would you deny the help?

It turns into the captain yelling at a stranger on the dock. It would create a distraction for all parties.

Plenty of times the would-be helpers have asked if we wanted help, or they've walked up and waited for a line or something. All it takes most of the time is a simple "we're all set" and they just stand back and watch.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2022, 06:50   #177

Quote:
Originally Posted by rslifkin View Post
Plenty of times the would-be helpers have asked if we wanted help, or they've walked up and waited for a line or something. All it takes most of the time is a simple "we're all set" and they just stand back and watch.

What's truly interesting (to me) about this poll and discussion is that -- once again -- it shows how different some cruising areas are vs the ones I've known.
Old 06-05-2022, 06:54   #178

Boat: Catalina 22 Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atcowboy View Post

- AT
Or, the handiest of all responses to nearly any such question:
"It depends"
lestersails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2022, 07:03   #179

Quote:
Originally Posted by rslifkin View Post
Yeah, this. It helps if you know who's offering help (eg neighbours at your marina or club). Also, if your docking procedures are already testy, with stress and yelling, then dealing with an unknown stranger can add to that.

It took me a while to learn how to offer help that's actually helpful, and to take no offense if it's declined, no matter how brusquely. I offered, my help was declined... not a problem.

To skippers: show me a boat where docking is always tense, with yelling and emergency manouvers, even after a year or two, and I'll show you a boat that will be on the market in a couple of years. And maybe a divorce.

Here's the reverse situation: we were tied up at the seawall of a downtown lakeside park, and picnicking on the grass. A motor yacht with husband and wife approached the wall, misjudged their approach, and bumped the wall. They didn't ask for help; I stayed put while one person in a neighbouring boat did jump in to help as things went south.

Once tied, the guy hisses sarcastically at me - "thanks for the help".

... you can't win, people.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2022, 07:08   #180

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Well, it is interesting that the poll has stabilized at about 2/3rd saying "yes," and 1/3 saying "no."

There are too many unaccounted variables or factors for this to tell us much about the why. Is it cultural? Boat size/type? Crew considerations? Skill set of dock denizens? Likely it's a combination of these, and other factors.

All we can really say is, about 2/3rd of CF users who took this poll appreciate docking assistance. Interesting...
If we REALLY want to be pedantic about this, we need to first realize that simply using CF as the polling forum automatically biases the data, in some way.

I think of the CF denizens as mostly older white males, but this could be totally wrong. Theoretically, the members here are or want to be cruisers, so someone in a big ol sportfish that doesn't identify as a cruiser isn't likely to cast a vote. There are also obviously posts where one member describes their feelings and says a spouse is the same - but without the spouse themselves having the chance for a blind vote we can't really know. This is hardly, and was not meant to be, scientific data that would be peer reviewed and described in a dissertation.

And while I'm replying to your post Mike O this doesn't describe my thoughts on you; Unfortunately, I also have a hard time accepting most of the posters as cruisers. I haven't met any grumpy, entrenched, name calling, stranger abusive cruisers in my 3,000 miles. What I have met is the salt of the earth, just the best kind of people out there. Hopefully, I add to that richness. They (the grumps) must be out there, but I haven't met them. On the other hand, just about any time I turn to CF I wonder why I'm still a member here when there's people acting like they're on 4chan... But I've started to just block people. I really hope that there aren't any people out there who joined the forum and decided not to cruise because of the vibe in here. I know I nearly did, but fortunately I persisted.

- AT

Tags
dock, Docking, poll, ranger