Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

View Poll Results: Do you like help from strangers on the dock?
Yes, I appreciate the help. 116 61.38%
No, I'd rather go it alone. 63 33.33%
Maybe, I have a hard time making choices. 4 2.12%
I have no opinion but I wanted to vote. 6 3.17%
Voters: 189. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-04-2022, 15:08   #106

Re: Help from strangers while docking? A poll and my rambling musings.

Well one has to appreciate their effort when they try to jump aboard your boat to tie a stern line when your Med mooring attempt goes wrong.

And always helpful to receive the guidance as to which way to properly operate your motor when backing in. "Your other forward!"

Enjoy.

Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2022, 15:44   #107

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montanan View Post
Well one has to appreciate their effort when they try to jump aboard your boat to tie a stern line when your Med mooring attempt goes wrong.

And always helpful to receive the guidance as to which way to properly operate your motor when backing in. "Your other forward!"

Enjoy.

Oh my god....
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2022, 18:49   #108

Boat: 1979 Mariner Ketch 32-Hull 202

Quote:
Originally Posted by senormechanico View Post
River Otters love Flemish coils too. They use them for a toilet.
An Old Sailor was walking down the Dock one day, stopped and asked me if I knew what that coil of dock line was at my Cleat.
I proudly informed him it was a Flemish Coil.
Having just learned the term myself.
He looked at me and smiled as he said "No it's an Otter Target"
He was Right!
Boatyarddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2022, 06:32   #109

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 473

I offer help at the dock but do not usually do anything until instructed, unless they are about to hit someone else.

I also hate when someone grabs my bow line and snubs it down close to the dock. You lose all control at that point.

Good topic. Maybe we should start offering training in our sailing clubs (if you can find experienced trainers).
PrimeMeridian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2022, 06:46   #110

I was returning a charter boat in Antigua, and I asked my wife to catch a dock cleat with a line attached to a mid-ship cleat. A lady from the charter company came out to meet us, so I asked my wife to give her the line and ask her to attach it. When we got close, the charter company lady said, "Throw me your bow line." I told her that we'd like her to attach the line my wife was going to hand her first.

After my wife gave her the line, she THREW IT BACK and told us to give her the bow line! I was so shocked that I didn't know what to say. Luckily, there was no wind and docking conditions were easy, so we passed her the bow line and then the stern, and I got on the dock and tied everything up properly.
MikeyBash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2022, 07:00   #111

Boat: Amel 50

Have you ever pulled into a marina you've never been to in the middle of the night, winds at 30 knots, in a foreign country, after a week in heavy seas just to find out the berth you've been assigned is occupied? The only berth available is at the end of a concrete quay where the wind and current are working against you. I had to do this recently. There were a few sailors who saw us attempting to med-moor on the spot and promptly offered to help. We were sure happy to have the assistance. At any time I could have waved them off, but given the crap conditions I sure was happy for the extra hands.
Habana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2022, 07:05   #112

Boat: DeFever 41

When approached by strangers offering help, we (usually my wife since I'm topside driving and she's handling all the lines) tell them thanks, and we'll let them know what to do if we need help. We know how to dock the boat; strangers don't, but can be a big help in unusual docking situations with adverse wind/tide/etc. as long as they follow directions!
BobMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2022, 07:13   #113

Quote:
Originally Posted by grantmc View Post
Boats hate reversing at the best of times.
Some boats hate reversing. Our cat was great reversing. Rather than trying to do a 180 in a narrow fairway so we could face into the wind and leave bow first, I've backed out around 2-3 bends to open water as it's easier...plus better visibility as I'm at the back anyway.

Of course, this goes back to different boats handle differently, so relying on even "experienced" dock hands may result in problems.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2022, 07:16   #114

Boat: 1990 Island Packet 32

We appreciate help when there's excessive wind or current.

To alleviate confusion, we have a bright blue mid-ship line. It's the only blue line on the boat.

We throw/hand the blue line to the "helper" on the dock.
We point to the specific cleat we want and say, "Put that BLUE line around THAT cleat, under both horns, and take up slack as we come in." If needed, we add, "Don't touch the other lines."

If that other person on the clock wants to take your bow line, " No. Don't touch the bow line."

If you want or need the second helper, give them the stern line and point to the cleat you want it around. Give them clear instructions. " Take this BLACK line, and put it around THAT cleat, under both horns, and take up the slack."

We step off and secure the mid-shop, stern, and bow lines.
Old 02-05-2022, 07:17   #115

Boat: Rhodes 41 Bounty II

Let's not miss the point. If needed give polite and direct instructions - no thank you or yes, please do.... Whether you think you're the best skipper out there, you someday may need assistance. Could be out on the water, or on the dock - medical or boat wise. Don't yell or curse at someone - that's offensive, rude and you are being a jack wagon. Be an example and a teacher if someone is doing something not quite to your liking or correctly. For those thinking they are God's gift to the boating world - you're not and you didn't start out all knowing.
Polski Gus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2022, 07:23   #116

Boat: Catalina 22 Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
It's too bad CF polls aren't able to be more nuanced. I bet there's a strong correlation between help vs no help as compared to size or type of vessel, size of crew, cruising area...

As usual, there is no one simple answer. Certainly no right answer for everyone.
As usual, M O'R hits the nail on the head. It is actually difficult to write good polling questions. The author usually brings biases and presumptions to the table, embeds them in the questions, and then wonders why the responses make no sense. Because the respondents have a different set of biases and presumptions. When you see good polling, it is impressive. Like line handling, not for amateurs.

FWIW - I voted for accepting help. Probably because I am not as good as some of the pros here. One of my favorite evenings was sitting with a drink in Hawksnest Bay and watched a single-hander with a pretty 27-30 foot boat glide in under sail, perfectly position the boat to account for the wind and momentum, then calmly walk to the bow and pick up the pennant. I bet he doesn't like help at the dock either.
lestersails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2022, 07:28   #117

Boat: TARTAN 34

Great thread

I could not agree more - let me be unless I ask for help. If you are solo or with a crew docking the vessel is the captains responsibility, strangers just muck things up.

I would add to your list marina staff who know the marina and wind/currents but not how to handle your boat.

Thanks
Danlong99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2022, 07:34   #118

Boat: Catalina 22 Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montanan View Post

Enjoy.

Took my breath away. That he would then swim toward the boat after falling in is almost a death wish. Those people are so incompetent they could have easily sucked him into the prop.

Was that video speeded up? That boat appeared to be coming in insanely fast.
lestersails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2022, 07:36   #119
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Jay Kantola - Trimaran 65 ft by 40 ft beam

For my vessel, the least helpful assistance has been an underpowered dinghy. Even a light breeze will easily overpower a small outboard motor trying to push it to angle my approach. I once had an over determined marine worker who insisted on helping me turn into a stern in spot. It only resulted in a lot of frustration all around as their dinghy was pushed the wrong way.

Usually a vessel like mine is on the end of most docks so approaching is pretty easy. The exception is when I have to dock next to the big guys stern in. Without a bow thruster that has proved quite difficult to control and I am so nervous about the value of the vessels I have had to pull in close to. Repairing a paint scratch on some of the yachts I am come along side would cost more than the value of my humble vessel.

The most important line I found aboard my vessel was a 100 foot long 1 inch Manila line. It floats very well and is easy for a kayaker to pull to the dock. So rather than accepting dock worker help or the marina dinghy assistance it has been easier for me to just drop anchor in the marina and have a kayak already in the water. The kayaker pulls the rope to shore and then cleats me off so I can winch the vessel backwards into the spot. Further, I can adjust which winch I cleat to to adjust the angle of pull.

After use, that Manila line always received a well deserved freshwater rinse and was air dried.
pbmaise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2022, 07:36   #120

Yes I appreciate the help
edlepera is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dock, Docking, poll, ranger