Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-08-2017, 08:26   #16

Re: Help How cap off unused seacocks ?

Thanks for all the replies.

Wanted to leave it as is so can restore normal toilet if I remove the composting toilet.

arch
arch007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2017, 08:27   #17

I dont view a closed and capped seacock as any more danger than having one in use. Why would it be? If not threaded put a short length of hose on it with a barb/plug on the top end. If really anal make that hose long enough to rise above the waterline.

Cheechako is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2017, 09:05   #18

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
Why not just close them off?

I have 4 that I just closed and one other one that's capped since it's always open.

Here's one of the smaller ones in the picture.
Are you missing a bolt holding that down?
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2017, 09:19   #19

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
...as a temporary measure...leave a short length of the original hose on there and use a blank end cap with a barbed male fitting that fits into the hose...
No. Cap the sea cock.
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2017, 09:30   #20

Boat: Hunter 37c

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Exactly my situation. I would glass it in if I could do it right, but to do so properly will involve removal of head sink cabinetry and a partial bulkhead. In my estimation a cap is a reasonable compromise. And it does allow for the possibility of going back to a standard marine head (although why anyone would want to do that is beyond me [emoji6]).
Hello Mike.
I am going to (partially) hi-jack the thread. Since many of the orphaned sea cocks these days are for wet-heads that have been removed, perhaps you could clarify for me.
I was asked by some people in Virginia on their way to Canada what the story is on "composting" toilets. I have never heard of any problems with their use in Canada, but these people had heard they won't be allowed into Canada with one in their boat. My boat doesn't cross that border so I had no idea what to answer.
Thank you in Advance
BobV
nautitrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2017, 09:33   #21

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
Those advocating removing the thru hull and patching the hole are leaving out how difficult this is to do. Just stuffing fiberglass in the hole isn't going to cut it. You're going to have to grind a taper, perhaps a foot or more in diameter and glass it in in layers, then grind it smooth, finish and repaint. Next to this, a proper threaded cap of the appropriate metal looks pretty good and serves the same purpose.

And there's the advantage that when you or the next owner get tired of emptying that litter box, it's easy to reinstall a proper marine bead.
Ron. you read my mind. I'd feel safer with a capped off seacock that a piss poor hull patch. And at that one capped off is probably safer than it was plummed?
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2017, 09:41   #22

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
Ron. you read my mind. I'd feel safer with a capped off seacock that a piss poor hull patch. And at that one capped off is probably safer than it was plummed?
I like that logic!

Interesting that you compare a cap with a "piss poor" glass patch. How do you feel about a properly reglassed hull with a hunk of brittle metal, often invisible unless inspected on purpose, subject to breaking,leaking and corrosion just because somebody might someday need it?

I don't intend to pick on you but rather expressing frustration with people who rationalize bad decisions. I spent too much time rescuing people from accidents easily avoided.
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2017, 09:53   #23

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Illusion View Post
It's a simple job. Anyone with even elementary skill can do this job in one day from the EXTERIOR of the boat obviating all the machinations you describe. Even if you wanted to do it from the inside, you'd still have to short haul so there is no value in doing it inside. Much less mess, much more room, better ventilation, etc... are among the reasons for an exterior glass job

Suffice it to say you now know the proper way. Your boat, your choice... Your insurance
My boat is 43 tears old and all the thruhulls look good.

They are all closed and one has been plugged.

No leaks etc.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	thruhull plug.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	357.2 KB
ID:	154511  
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2017, 10:03   #24

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
It's a simple job. Anyone with even elementary skill can do this job in one day from the EXTERIOR of the boat obviating all the machinations you describe. ...Suffice it to say you now know the proper way. Your boat, your choice... Your insurance
Thanks for not being condescending .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
I dont view a closed and capped seacock as any more danger than having one in use. Why would it be? If not threaded put a short length of hose on it with a barb/plug on the top end. If really anal make that hose long enough to rise above the waterline.
Exactly. So all the scare comments should apply to non-capped thru-hulls, right?

Yes, a properly done glass job is the best option. My hull is quite thick (approx. three inches there). It is also cored. This will require a large tapered area. In my limited-skilled world I deem this as a large job. Nor is it one that can be properly done with only elementary skills.

In all my research of glassing large holes I’ve always read a proper job must include approaching it from both inside and outside, so going at it from only the outside would be less than proper … no?
Old 21-08-2017, 10:06   #25

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida

Quote:
My boat is 43 tears old and all the thruhulls look good.

They are all closed and one has been plugged.

No leaks etc.
I don't think the OP was referring to a plastic seacock which has its own weaknesses. I guess you think I am wrong then?

My opinion it you forgot to add the words "so far" after "no leaks".

I hope your good luck continues.
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2017, 10:13   #26

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by nautitrix View Post
Hello Mike.
I am going to (partially) hi-jack the thread. Since many of the orphaned sea cocks these days are for wet-heads that have been removed, perhaps you could clarify for me.
I was asked by some people in Virginia on their way to Canada what the story is on "composting" toilets. I have never heard of any problems with their use in Canada, but these people had heard they won't be allowed into Canada with one in their boat. My boat doesn't cross that border so I had no idea what to answer.
Thank you in Advance
BobV
Bob, as I read the Canadian law, 'technically speaking' a composting head is not legal. It is considered a holding tank-type of head, but Canada law has some additional clauses about there needing to be a pump out deck attachment. I assume it was written this way to ensure portapotties were not legal, but it kinda catches composters in its net as well.

I’ve never, ever heard of anyone being accosted by the Canadian authorities over the use of a composting head. Actually, I’ve never heard of the Canadian authorities checking anyone’s head at all. I assume it happens, but my bet would be that it only occurs when the boater has given the cops additional reasons to investigate.

I’ve had a composter for at least six years cruising the Great Lakes and have never, ever, been questioned about it at all. I’ve crossed the Canada/US border a number of times with zero issues, although I’ve only rarely been stopped by the water cops on either side.

Based on my direct experience, and the extended experience of everyone I know, I would tell your friends not to worry.
Old 21-08-2017, 10:14   #27

Quote:
I don't think the OP was referring to a plastic seacock which has its own weaknesses. I guess you think I am wrong then?

My opinion it you forgot to add the words "so far" after "no leaks".

I hope your good luck continues.
Good luck?

What if the seacock was still in use? Is it this suddenly okay?

OR if still in use and open with a crappy, worn out old hose hooked to it?

We had a 70 year old sailor hop aboard one of our new sailor's boat one day last summer because the boat was sinking 3 miles offshore.

The spry 70 year old quickly found the leaky old hose and............closed the seacock!
Old 21-08-2017, 10:19   #28

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
I like that logic!

Interesting that you compare a cap with a "piss poor" glass patch. How do you feel about a properly reglassed hull with a hunk of brittle metal, often invisible unless inspected on purpose, subject to breaking,leaking and corrosion just because somebody might someday need it?

I don't intend to pick on you but rather expressing frustration with people who rationalize bad decisions. I spent too much time rescuing people from accidents easily avoided.
You can have your opinion. I believe he said inside access was a problem so a righteous hull repair?. Brittle metal, it would be there if in use. JMHO
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2017, 10:45   #29

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

Quote:
...What if the seacock was still in use?...
A sea cock that is in use gets regular attention such that a developing problem can be addressed. An abandoned sea cock goes ignored. Insurance companies and surveyors (and prudent, knowledgeable seamen) do not condone abandoned, uncapped sea cocks.
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2017, 10:52   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terra Nova View Post
A sea cock that is in use gets regular attention such that a developing problem can be addressed. An abandoned sea cock goes ignored. Insurance companies and surveyors (and prudent, knowledgeable seamen) do not condone abandoned, uncapped sea cocks.
I'd say it's a case by case bases. Insurance companies etc are dealing with the masses.

Doubtful those in regular use get the attention they need.

Lots of boats are docked and don't move for months with open seacocks.

I've seen two almost sink due to bad hoses connected to open seacocks. One did sink but in shallow water at the dock

I closed most of mine myself and they get inspected a couple times per month when I'm in the area of the seacock.

I know the condition of my boat and it's self insured so the insurance companies are not involved.

The seacocks have been closed for 6 years and the plug has been in place for 12 years

Also, if there was a problem with any one of them, my bilge pump would come on. My bilge pump comes on maybe once every couple months. It's a big event on my boat....