Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-03-2012, 12:25   #16

Re: Help ( how far will my hurly 20 heel before it will capsiz

P.s I would wrap the sail around the boom to shorten the main is that wrong ?
0xvn0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2012, 12:40   #17

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Perfectly acceptable, especially if you can maintain some tension by using an outhaul. Is there a second ring you could then use for an outhaul?

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2012, 13:21   #18

No I don't and the more I find out about sails the more I realise how important torsion/tension is. Here we go ...... I have 2 sails one is newer than the other. My best needs repairing where the batons go in at the back where the elastic is has gone on one and ripped a little and that is putting the shape off. It causes a fold I can see that's a problem. When I repair it I think I mite have some eyelets put in. I can see that wrapping I round the boom it ok on the broads but at see could be a problem on my little cruiser. That opens another massive list of questions sorry guys :-/

Must keep in mind that I'm leaning on this boat and intend to in the next year change to something a little bigger 24' +. So I don't want to spend the earth on this one but I do want to make it a good sailer before I sell her on.

(1) 1,2,3 or 4 sets of eyes for the main.

I think 2 one of make it really short and one half way between that and out full. ( feel free to correct the ammateur)

(2) on my boom there is a set of pulleys inside that are for the outhaul. They don't seem to work. I know the mast on there is a good one but on my old boat I just had a bit I string.

(3) more to the point I think I should have had the sail at an angle say 30-40 degrees off centre. When the wind was hitting me side on. Stand the boat up and get more speed.

Iv always been a learn as I do it kinda person. Think now iv got it working need to get someone to look it over for me.
Old 31-03-2012, 13:28   #19
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold

Once you've chosen your course, the easy way to remember how to set your mainsail is to let it out until it luffs and then pull it back in a little bit. "Luffing" is when the part of the sail nearest to the mast starts to billow back and forth a bit, since the pressure of the wind coming from one side is about equal to the pressure on the opposite side.
Old 31-03-2012, 13:30   #20

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Best advice I can think of now is for you to join a local yacht club. They are always on the look out for new members so you just need to pop along and introduce yourself.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2012, 13:44   #21

Thank you hud that is a lot of help all I want to do now is go out and give this new info a go. Now I realise all I needed to do was let the sails out a little and I would go faster and be more upright. I know how to know how to tell where that is plus I know now that I would never have gone over in the light wind I could have braved it out a little more.

Thanks pets I really want to join a club but the one near to me seems a little unwelcoming. I was putting the mast up by myself on the end of there slip and making a real hash of it. 2 then 4 the 6 of them not only didn't offer to help but stood and watched. The first time in 4 years on the river that's ever happened. Most boating folk including me seem so friendly and helpful including me. But I mite go down and say hi see if the rest are more welcoming.

Thanks guys you have all been so much help.
Old 31-03-2012, 13:50   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.

With most monohull keel boats you can lay the mast down to the water and it will right itself. It takes wave action to heel the boat any further. So unless you are in massive breaking waves, it is probably not a concern.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2012, 14:22   #23

Boat: rhodes,seafarer,28

Maybe you can find someone nearby who can teach you a feu basics. Where are you located ?
capt.bobfm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 09:25   #24

Boat: Leopard Catamaran
Re: Help - How Far Will My Hurly 20 Heel Before It Will Capsize

Having spent some recent time on a small sailer, I think I can help a little. I use the mainsheet like a throttle, pull it tighter, up to where the tell tales on the outside stall, to go faster, and ease it off to slow down.

I've sailed with the seat of my pants wet, even on a laser, (no keel just a dagger board), I've also flipped it.

A keel boat takes a lot to turtle, I just looked up your boat, 1000lbs ballast in twin keels, 2200lbs displacement.

I don't think that boat is going over in less than a full gale. The twin keels may make it a little tender at first, but like a weeble, "it may wobble, but it won't fall down".

Seriously, I would look into making some kind of reefing system, even rolling the main around the boom, (that's how mine works), you just need an outhaul attached somewhere. 1 reef will tame even a blustery day, and it shortens the learning curve, you can always shake it out later if you want more excitement.
capn_billl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 09:57   #25

Thanks capn you have all really put my mind at rest. Can't wait to get out there and give her hell without worrying that she is going to go over. Yes I think I will set her up for reefing sounds like what I need to do as I want to take her to sea. As for the angle of the main this is something I really need to play about with. Get her going faster and more under control when I want her to be. I just don't think I payed enough attention like I did the gib
I'v got sailing close to the wind down. I just need to tilt my mast back a little and make sure the gib is nice and tight. Move the eyelets on the gunal forward to put more curve on it. In the hope that this should allow me to get that little bit closer allowing me to tack even on the river. ( again feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.
Now I just need to get that main down.
Old 02-04-2012, 10:41   #26

Boat: Hurley, Bilge Keel, 20'

My 1970 20' bilge keel has the original boom. A 3/8 socket extension fits in the boom roller reefing mechanism. It is chrome and is a part of the hinge attaching it to the mast. It could be easy to miss. Crank on it and the boom turns wrapping the sail around it. It is not the fastest system but it does work. I would also recommend the Hurley group on Yahoo. (if you are not already a member) Lots of specific help and volumes of info. I have put my rail in the water in a gust and she turned ito the wind. I think as quick as it happened my biggest worry was getting my footing. Great boat.
dscsr23455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 06:26   #27

Thank you will have to take a look at that yahoo groupe. I have done some more research and have found that I have a z spar continuous line reefing system. But my sail doesn't have the fittings so I am going to see a sail maker to see about the cost of fitting the parts to the sail. If its a lot I'm going to get an industrial sewing machine and do it myself as I have seat covers and a canopy to make for her.

Its really good to hear from another hurly owner. Thank you.
Old 06-04-2012, 06:38   #28

Boat: Hurley, Bilge Keel, 20'

Anything I can do to help just let me know.
dscsr23455 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
capsize