Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-07-2024, 15:53   #61

Boat: 1966 Spencer 42'
Re: Help! I'm Chickening-Out on My Husband's Dream...

Oh, ha ha, just realized this was an old thread.
Old 01-07-2024, 16:29   #62

Could you afford your house that's for sale if you had to buy it in the open market? Taxes and all?

Once you exit home ownership, it can be financially difficult to re-enter. For many, cruising 6-mos and home 6-mos works very well as it allows cruising the prime seasons.

There are a lot of ways to make this work without burning bridges. You can always burn them later. Much more difficult to un-burn them and reconstruct.
mvweebles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2024, 20:01   #63

Boat: Swarbrick S-80

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandinthepark View Post
your message had a lot of details, but all I could 'hear' was "...my husbands dream." It sounds very selfish that as a couple you two are following his dream rather than a shared dream.
This post definitely smells like an AI!
Happy to be proven wrong.
ChrisJHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2024, 07:05   #64

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeWilly View Post
My husbands dream has been to do an extended sailing trip. He sailed as a young man but has had limited experience since with larger boats. We were just on a trip in BVI and all went very well. Recently a number of life events triggered a decision on our part to get a boat (cat for safety/livability reasons) and spend a year sailing in the Caribbean. We have an 11year old daughter and the idea is to home school. We are selling our home to facilitate this and are intending to relocate on our return to a location I have wanted to move to. However, now that the house is listed, and the reality of what we are doing is setting in, I am having an uncharacteristic panic attack and I don't know if I really want to go through with this. I am nervous on boats and possibly slightly claustrophobic (another reason for the cat). I've started to worry about all that can go wrong and I'm afraid that I'm going to back out on my husbands dream. I feel terrible because he has never been happier..planning, reading everything imaginable, and learning about boats and their parts. We are both competent people and logically I know we can handle this, but I guess I just don't feel like adventuring anymore. I am close to 50 and my husband is in his 60's, so I think its now or never to get started with this and at the moment, I'm happy with never. Any advice, insight, comments???
Thanks!

sounds like your husband is the sailor and you are along for the ride. This is not the way to do it. You need to learn how to sail and sail the boat before you leave - that will increase your confidence level and get rid of your anxieties

here is a link to a thread my wife wrote on CF a few years ago about exactly this: Make your husband read it

https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...-i-180999.html

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2024, 08:27   #65
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Help! I'm Chickening-Out on My Husband's Dream...

And still people, including 'Mods' continue to feed the 14yr old Zombie Thread..
Hilarious...

You can't oppress a people for over 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."
Self defence is not an excuse for murder.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2024, 09:19   #66

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

I read you were leaning towards a cat. They truly do have certain advantages. We have just finished 8 years on our 58 foot classic ketch, now for sale in Annapolis. We sailed the eastern Caribbean, mostly the windwards and leeward islands. Roxy is big, wide, stable with many amenities. She has great cachet in Antigua and among the Salty Dawg cruising association. A great organization to get there and to enjoy the company of like minded people. They helped immensely as we were going through the worries you describe.

Yachtworld listing
https://www.yachtworld.com/yacht/1984-camper-$-nicholsons-58-9168374/

Listing on CF
https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ml#post3911991
Nicholson58 is online now   Reply With Quote