Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-05-2017, 14:18   #16

Boat: Maxim 380
Re: Help Re: Gulf of Mexico Launching and Staying

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tkeeth View Post
I left BSL marina for friendlier waters......And that damn bridge!
We have a catamaran so I never noticed the unfriendly waters lol.
tunnelvision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 14:18   #17

Boat: American Mariner 24'

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfrank View Post
My boats in Gulfport. Lots of available slips and a good launching area. The main 3 barrier islands, Horn, Ship 7 Cat are all very reachable and at night in the marina, you won't rock & roll. Water at Cat is somewhat murky and shallow. Ship water clearer and Horn, clearer still. Farther away from the Mighty Mississippi the clearer it gets. Want to do a cruise, follow the ICW east across Mobile Bay and about a mile up the canal on the left is Lulu's. Nice Marina and restaurant. Who knows, Jimmy Buffet may be there. It's his sister's place.
Now that sounds fun.
ClassicalBGP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 14:20   #18

Anyone have knowledge about Ocean Springs? It was suggested by a friend of the family who still lives there. I am not finding much on it on the net.
Old 13-05-2017, 08:02   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClassicalBGP View Post
Anyone have knowledge about Ocean Springs? It was suggested by a friend of the family who still lives there. I am not finding much on it on the net.
It's a real nice town. Not a lot of boating facilities. The city harbor is kind of run down (but, close to town). Best to probably stay at a marina in Biloxi and take a cab (or long walk it) over.
Old 13-05-2017, 13:36   #20

Boat: never mind...

Quote:
That's where I live. I hope to liveaboard there by next fall, if not sooner.

LINK

Good access to sailing waters while offering protection from the weather.
iSaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2017, 20:18   #21

I'm really leaning towards the east side of the area. Not based upon how nice etc.. But, distance to Horn island and access to family I'm supposed to be visiting.

But, another question for you gulf coast people. Anchors? Have a 8 or 9 pound danforth on this 24' (4000+lb) boat, 6' of chain 300' of rope. Back up is a 20lb spade type anchor, 6' chain and about 175 of rope.

Should I pick up a new / different anchor? If so type / weight?
Old 20-05-2017, 05:30   #22

Quote:
I'm really leaning towards the east side of the area. Not based upon how nice etc.. But, distance to Horn island and access to family I'm supposed to be visiting.

But, another question for you gulf coast people. Anchors? Have a 8 or 9 pound danforth on this 24' (4000+lb) boat, 6' of chain 300' of rope. Back up is a 20lb spade type anchor, 6' chain and about 175 of rope.

Should I pick up a new / different anchor? If so type / weight?
The Mississippi Sound is sand and mud mixed together. Mostly sand, but a lot of mud near the mouths of rivers. Most people still use Danforth style anchors here and they work pretty well here. Any spade type anchor will work great. Plus, its a forgiving bottom mostly. The only thing that gets damaged in a grounding is usually your ego.

As far as marinas, if there is another place in the world that has more slips available, at a better price, than the Mississippi Gulf Coast, I would have to see it to believe it.
Old 20-05-2017, 15:26   #23
cruiser

Boat: Hitchhiker, Catamaran, 40'

Quote:
As far as marinas, if there is another place in the world that has more slips available, at a better price, than the Mississippi Gulf Coast, I would have to see it to believe it.
Tell me more! I am in Isla Mujeres Mexico. I have a 40' x 25' catamaran. It is for sale. I considered bringing it back to the US but worried about high marina prices etc. I have been looking at the Gulf coast, seems like an easy sail from here. Any places that don't ask to see your insurance? Anyone there want to buy a catamaran ($87,500)? Or maybe I can get more for it if I bring it back to the US.
Thumbs Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2017, 08:01   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Group9 View Post
The Mississippi Sound is sand and mud mixed together. Mostly sand, but a lot of mud near the mouths of rivers. Most people still use Danforth style anchors here and they work pretty well here. Any spade type anchor will work great. Plus, its a forgiving bottom mostly. The only thing that gets damaged in a grounding is usually your ego.

Thank you, I have been locked into an anchor thread regarding this question but you answered it in one quick post. I have picked up a 14lb delta and keeping my danforth for back up. Do you see any issue? And, your are right about the marinas and price. No one even takes reservations.
Old 22-05-2017, 09:30   #25

Quote:
Thank you, I have been locked into an anchor thread regarding this question but you answered it in one quick post. I have picked up a 14lb delta and keeping my danforth for back up. Do you see any issue? And, your are right about the marinas and price. No one even takes reservations.
You'll be fine anchoring with either.
Old 22-05-2017, 09:51   #26

I would recommend a 25lb Mantus for this area in summer. The squalls generated in summer can be very intense and there is little protection from the waves generated. We came close to ending up on the beach at Ship Island when our 45lb CQR let go in 35kts. We had 40-50kt winds for 40 minutes or more peaking at 56kts. Our 55lb Mantus gives us real peace of mind now.
Old 22-05-2017, 09:55   #27

Click image for larger version

Name:	20150705_124749.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	29.6 KB
ID:	148192
Old 22-05-2017, 12:00   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by tunnelvision View Post
I would recommend a 25lb Mantus for this area in summer. The squalls generated in summer can be very intense and there is little protection from the waves generated. We came close to ending up on the beach at Ship Island when our 45lb CQR let go in 35kts. We had 40-50kt winds for 40 minutes or more peaking at 56kts. Our 55lb Mantus gives us real peace of mind now.
25lb for my boat? Or would a 13lb work? It a 24' about 4,500-5000lbs.
Old 22-05-2017, 12:10   #29

Boat: 97 Hunter 430 43 ft.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tunnelvision View Post

Exact same thing happened to me a few weeks ago. I saw 49 knots right before I drug. Just bought a new 55lb. Mantus myself.
Tkeeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2017, 12:14   #30

25lbs for your boat looking at the Mantus website. I prefer to base my choice on extreme conditions after experiencing a few rough squalls in the area. Remember it's not just the wind that stresses the anchor but the sea state. Look at a chart of the islands and you will see that your exposed to wind from 3 directions.

Tags
gulf of mexico, Mexico