Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-05-2017, 14:40   #31

Re: Help Re: Gulf of Mexico Launching and Staying

I bought a Manson Supreme when I headed to the Bahamas in 2010. But, for the 25 years before that, I anchored all over the Mississippi Sound and a lot of other places, with an appropriately sized Danforth on all of my boats, and never dragged once.

Successful anchoring is more than just having a big ass new generation anchor. They are good, no doubt, but using the appropriate scope and chain can make a hell of a lot of difference, and can go a long way toward a peaceful nights sleep.

And, as far as Danforths and gusts, I was anchored behind the FloraBama with a 42 foot boat on a 22 pound Danforth, well set in sand, on the day the storm hit Mobile Bay two years ago and six sailors died. We got hit with 60 plus miles an hour gust when it passed us, and we didn't drag at all (although I never saw a nylon line rode stretch so much as that day). But, we had a lot of chain, and an appropriate amount of scope out.

Anchoring successfully involves a lot of things. New generation spade anchors, while pretty darned good, are not a substitute for knowing what you are doing.

God, I can't believe I let myself get drawn into an anchoring thread. I know better. Carry on.
Old 23-05-2017, 14:43   #32

Boat: Maxim 380

I guess your proof that is better to be lucky than good.
tunnelvision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2017, 14:53   #33

Boat: Maxim 380

Please tell us more anchor God. He asked for advice on an anchor and I gave it based on my experience. My boat has 200 feet of 3/8 chain and a 55 Mantus because the 45 CQR drug badly with over 7 to1 scope. I need an anchor I can trust and just getting lucky like you isn't enough for me.[emoji1]
tunnelvision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2017, 14:57   #34

Boat: American Mariner 24'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Group9 View Post

God, I can't believe I let myself get drawn into an anchoring thread. I know better. Carry on.
I am glad you did. I have come to believe that some anchors might work better than others, yet its more important to have the proper setting and scope. That belief comes from not only this site, but from other reading etc...

I did end up with two anchors (I have ordered the Mantus, and the Delta is on the ground in front of the bow), if I can find the space I will haul all three (Danforth included) and take some time to practice setting and re-setting with all three.
ClassicalBGP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2017, 15:06   #35

I know I did not start this thread, however wanted to thank everyone for their input. I took each post and gave it weight, as well as looked to other sites and watched videos. In the end, I ended up with two anchors (besides my starting two), more chain and more rope. And, knowledge that anchor threads are hot topics and a lot more knowledge about anchors and anchoring.
Old 24-05-2017, 09:41   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClassicalBGP View Post
I know I did not start this thread, however wanted to thank everyone for their input. I took each post and gave it weight, as well as looked to other sites and watched videos. In the end, I ended up with two anchors (besides my starting two), more chain and more rope. And, knowledge that anchor threads are hot topics and a lot more knowledge about anchors and anchoring.
I can seem to edit the above post. This was suppose to be in another anchor thread. Nevertheless, it still applies here (save for I did start this thread).
Old 05-07-2017, 08:17   #37

Just an update if anyone is interested. I launched in Gulfport without issue, ramp was steep enough I did not even have to use my strap system. It was late in the day, but thought I would take her out for a spend, and a storm came in when we were about a mile from the harbor. So, we ducked back in and got a slip.

It then proceeded to storm and rain the next day, we stayed at the slip.
The following day (Friday June 30th, I believe), we caught a break and made the run to cat island and back. Motored most of the time, due to lack of wind.
then on Sunday, we made the Horn Island run and anchored for the night. The new Mantus did its job very well and dug right in and set and never gave us an issue. However, I stayed up to 1:00 am watching it. Woke up at 4:00 am and the shore was a lot closer and I thought we had drug, so in a panic woke up my son (22yo) and had him pull the anchor in while I started the engine. However, I had to pull the boat over the anchor to break it free and then I realized that we had just swung on the hook. (Go easy, first time on the hook.) We reset the anchor and the family went back to sleep. I stayed on deck and watched the sun rise.

Monday, we went south of Horn Island for a couple of hours and then headed in to Point Cadet and got a slip for the night.

We pulled the boat on the 4th from a ramp just west of point cadet, again without using the strap.

The Bad--------

June / July is stupid hot. It made the trips hard for me, but even harder on the kids (ages 22, 15, 10). We all got sunburned, but just lightly. I thought SPF 50 would be enough. I was born and raised here, but having lived in AZ for the last 10+ years just not use to it, I guess.

Never had much wind. most of the time was spend with the engine running.

The Good--------

Learned a lot and did what I wanted to do. We got into water that was not a lake. Made a trip that was longer than 4 miles. Spent a night on the hook. Even got a little storm action. I know rain and 3-4 seas to you hard core sailors is nothing. But, for lake sailors from AZ it was interesting (fun) for about 1/2 hour.

As far as best marina? I only saw two, however I liked Gulfport a lot. Newer, free wifi, easy access etc... But, not much around and then the fishing rodeo opened and made it a pain to get my truck in and out of the marina. Also, parking for my truck with the trailer was on the other side of the area (by the ramps) and not really in the marina. Once I dropped my trailer, I was able to park my truck in the marina by the boat.

Point Cadet was pretty good. Lots to do in walking distance, parking with and without trailer was easy. However, it was more expensive and charged extra for shore power etc....

But, best of all, every harbor master and everyone at both marinas was super friendly and very helpful. No real complaints about either.

Thank you to all of you who provided help and guidance on this trip.
Old 05-07-2017, 08:49   #38

Boat: 97 Hunter 430 43 ft.

too bad we missed you! we were in the same areas all weekend. we anchored at ship island east head friday and saturday.
Tkeeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 08:56   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tkeeth View Post
too bad we missed you! we were in the same areas all weekend. we anchored at ship island east head friday and saturday.
That would have been great. I wanted to hit ship island, however my brother (with his motor boat) insisted on meeting at Horn.
Old 05-07-2017, 16:31   #40

Boat: never mind...

Sounds like you and your kids had a great time! Thanks for the update.
iSaint is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gulf of mexico, Mexico