Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-08-2012, 12:57   #46
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
Re: Here Comes Isaac

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldiphlox View Post
Ah....but it makes an exciting you tube video doesnt it

plus keeps people like minaret and my self in work doing nice epoxy repairs
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2012, 13:02   #47

Boat: gulfstar ketch 41 Surya

All you lawyer/sailors please advise.... If you assist in securing a vessel that needs attention are you liable for any subsequent damages? I know there is the good Samaritan law in that if you help somebody you are not liable for injuries. I think I will google it...
Hold that thought.
S/V_Surya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2012, 13:05   #48

Boat: Tayana V42 - Passages

You're liable if their lawyer is better than your lawyer. :-(
Old 29-08-2012, 13:07   #49

Boat: gulfstar ketch 41 Surya

Interesting article here. In that by saving the vessel you could in fact get salvage rights.
Salvage & Towing
S/V_Surya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2012, 13:09   #50

Boat: 1984 Sovereign 24

All i know is no matter what...the guys i know would have had rope in hand....not a video camera
goldiphlox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2012, 13:31   #51
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

oops......
one set of lines from transom to pilings would have been a good move to save boat....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2012, 13:33   #52

Boat: Finnsailer 38

I don't worry about legalities if someone needs help. Rescued many boats from problems big and small, pulled off of reefs, pulled people out of the water, towed boats for days, floundered around inside of a sinking trawler keeping the pumps going, dove to unfoul propellors, reanchored dragging boats with nobody on board, etc. etc. and I've never had an owner complain. For that matter, I've never met anyone who has reported first-hand knowledge of any difficulties arising from offering a helping hand to a fellow boater. The worst problem is sometimes they forget to thank you in the midst of all the action.
Old 29-08-2012, 13:40   #53

Boat: OEM, proportional

The blog had an interesting point: the flood gates were due to be shut at 18:00 and they only found that out because someone phoned them. They had to hurry to make it.

Imagine the owner of the dinged up boat didn't make it, and had to watch from the wrong side of the gates with binos as his boat died. At least the video is a nice consolation.

As to getting sued.....if I in good faith make my best effort to save someone's property and fail, and then get sued for my trouble....well, I'll then seriously consider finishing what the storm started, and remove the hassles of expensive repairs. What a world.
Old 29-08-2012, 13:42   #54

Boat: Nassau 42 SV Ceol Mor

If the owner was there frantically trying to secure his boat I know without a doubt that Tate would have lent a hand. Perhaps this neighbor has been a complete jack ass to everyone on the dock (it does happen)- you don't know but many of you seem fine in casting aspersions on Target's morale fiber.

If you touch another persons boat without permission, you could not only be liable to any damage to that boat but to any other boats that it damages. Maybe you don't have a family you need to provide for financially and can take the hit but to make judgements about a failure to prevent damage to a THING is pretty rich. If the owners were out of town, call the marina staff or a dock friend. Its not as if no one knew this storm was coming.

I know several people on our dock that would secure my boat if I were in a similar circumstance and I would do the same for those I know but to risk injury and financial ruin for a stranger's posession who couldn't be arsed to take care of his stuff? Nope. Its a THING not a person.
Mimsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2012, 13:46   #55

Its very easy to sit on the internet and say, "Well I would have been doing this or that."

I'm in the middle of a hurricane in the dark of night with possibly a broken foot (illegally trespassing) and trying to make sure my boat is okay.

As we walk the docks, there are literally 10s of boats we pass in this sort of condition. Do we "try to save them all?" Or do we try to save the ones we know we can? Or do we worry about lawsuits?

I'll tell you all something. I have not disclosed everything that happened at the marina for fear of lawsuits, as was mentioned previously, but every time I've been out to the marina we've been out on the pier for over an hour. And that is a long time to get whipped by a hurricane, and a lot longer than it takes to tie up/watch two boats.

As for my neighbor's boat, I'm not sure there is anything I could have done. I'm out of lines. I could have offered them nothing. We did attempt to wedge some spare fenders but they're all gone now.

So please, take what you read with a grain of salt and a warning. I'm not some soulless ******* that just snubs my nose at someone and laughs as their boat is destroyed. I'm an injured man illegally in a marina fighting to save my boat, my friend's boat, and possibly a few others that might be worth it with my limited time and resources.
Old 29-08-2012, 13:51   #56

target--ye did good. isnt possible to swim out in a mayhem and do lines. at least ye did a job of documenting the damage. owner needs to call insurance then appear. you did a good job of documenting his damage so mebbe he can show it to the ins company.
Old 29-08-2012, 13:59   #57

Boat: Heritage East 40
At this point the camera guy could do little. It is NOT his responsibility to jump on and save boats. The damage was already done. Due diligence was required of the owner. Period. They had a freaking week. I pulled my boat and I will again. No matter where I am.
The Blue Heron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2012, 13:59   #58

Boat: 28Ft Piver Encore, Tri-Maran, Anchored in San Diego.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nemo55

What do you call a hundred Lawyers at the bottom of the ocean???

"A Good Start" !!!!!!!!!

https://nemo1955.blogspot.ca/
Nemo55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2012, 14:00   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldiphlox View Post
All i know is no matter what...the guys i know would have had rope in hand....not a video camera
Yeah, I guess all the guys you know wouldn't have had time to take the what... cumulative total of 2 minutes of video I have. They would have clearly all been totally b*lls to the wall the entire time they're out there with their unlimited amounts of rope they bought ahead of time to save all the harbor's wayward boats.

I have every piece of line I own out and it still isn't enough. Have already sacrificed my running rigging. About to take out the anchor rode and chop it up. It isn't exactly like I "didn't have rope in hand at times."

I appreciate you views on my character. Its moving really. But the women I know online would have had words of encouragement in hand, not insults against my character.

Thanks again.
Old 29-08-2012, 14:14   #60

let me know if you end up chopping your rode. somehow replacement can be provided.