Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-08-2010, 07:22   #1

Boat: It will be an Island Packet 38 most probably
Hobie Cat for a New Sailing Couple

We are new to this world and are very willing to learn. As you know, our project to become lifeaboards is a long term one. Hubby went sailing on a Hobie Getaway last December for about 3 hours in St-John USVI and we beleive this would be a good start on our project. We are actually planning to buy one for next summer.

We are going to do the "Take the wheel" seminar at the Annapolis sailboat show next October and are going to visit the Hobie Cat company stand to have more informations.

When I go on the Hobie Cat website, I have all kinds of information but the price, of course I know that I will have to add lenght to my driveway, I have check the space available and I will either get myself a car shelter or build a car port in order to protect the boat in the winter time. If my city allows me to build a car port, the boat will be protected all year round. That is something to think about also.

What are the other brands of small catamarans? We are looking at one that is about 16 feet to start with. We want to bring some families and friends along once in a while.

I am from Canada and I was wandering if the certification I will get from here will be sufficient to go sailling in the USA or if I should go get something from the ASA.

Another profect that we have is to charter a camamaran for a week or two, several times in the next few years with a captain that is also an ASA instructor. When we will be ready, we want to charter a bareboat. We beleive those are good steps to take in order to discover if this life is one we can live with.

Actually, I am pretty sure to love it, it is hubby that is uncertain. I have to work on him very carefully in order for him to fall in love with this life. Two years ago, he didn't want to hear about it but after meeting a live aboard last year in St-Marteen and talking with him a lot without no wifes around, he became curious and more willing to talk about it

Any information you can give me on small cats would be very welcome. Thanks in advance.

Missou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 07:32   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Have fun with it. Hobies are a blast.

If you want good information then go to the next Hobie regatta in your area and ask the owners directly.

For small beach cats, I would stick with the Hobie brand because they are the most popular and in my opinion more reliable than the other brands.

Instead of buying new, I would buy a used boat that is in like new condition. New Hobies depreciate rapidly. Look on Craigslist, Ebay or in the local Hobie fleets newsletter.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 08:00   #3

Boat: McGregor venture 15 "IMP"
There are several other brands available, but Hobie would be the most well known. You may also look at Prindle or Nacra. If you wish to have friends sail with you, I would recommend something like the Hobie wave or an 18 instead of a 16 footer. I have a McGregor Venture 15 that I love, but it is so uncommon that it has been difficult to find parts. Have that in mind when making a decision.
Spencer
Old 05-08-2010, 09:57   #4

Location: Cayuga Lake NY - or on the boat somewhere south of there
Boat: Caliber 40
I had a Hobie Wave before I got my big boat. They are a blast and as the most common brand, have a bigger used boat market which will make it easier to sell when you eventually want to.

A Getaway is a bigger version of a Wave and while it is 16 ft. long, it is nothing like the old Hobie 16 which is made of fiberglass. The wave and the getaway are both very easy boats to learn on - very forgiving, very fast if you sail them right and almost bulletproof in terms of running into rocks, docks, etc. because they are made of rotomolded plastic instead of fiberglass. I got the wave partly for this reason, so my teenagers could mess around on it without worrying too much about dinging the hulls - I also found out it is nearly impossible to capsize a Wave in any wind you would actually go out in - My son and his friends tried hard but couldnt do it.

Waves can be pushed up on the beach by one person. Getaways cannot. Waves are good for two people, doable with four but noticeably slower. Getaways will take four people no problem at all and can fit more.

There is no sailing I have ever done where the sensation of speed is as great as on a beach cat. Not only are they really fast, but you are right on the water.

But be aware, these are "wet" sailboats. If you want to sail without getting soaked then get something else.
sck5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 11:34   #5

Boat: It will be an Island Packet 38 most probably
Thanks for all the information. I sure will get myself a used one that comes with the trailer and maybe even with sand wheels.

I am looking at the Getaway or the Hobie 16 because of its size. I don't want to buy several boats before my big move

Missou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 13:37   #6

Boat: Rou-Coo is a 16 ft Canoe. A big Sister is in the planning stages!
There are Solcats which are well designed fast boats and I have a 15 ft. Seaspray (designed and built in Calgary! - don't ask. It was a gift!). But I don't think you can go wrong with a Hobie. My only suggestion would be to check out what other people in your area sail. You may want to enter some club races and it is nice to have a boat that fits the most popular class for that purpose.
Rou-Coo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hobie cat