Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-10-2019, 01:48   #1

home schooling marina del rey

I wonder what other liveaboard families are doing with children's schooling ?

I have a son five years old and am thinking about his schooling.

Thanks
arch007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2019, 03:05   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31
Re: home schooling marina del rey

We homeschooled when we lived aboard, and continue to do so now. Some states require that you check in and tell them you're homeschooling; others don't. CA has a thing against homeschooling, so if you're there long-term (not just cruising through), you might want to check all the boxes: talk to the school district and tell them you're home schooling, show them the curriculum, etc. It will be important to know your rights, as they might try to browbeat you and make you think it's against the law to homeschool.
Best thing would be to cast off and sail away, and write CA off as a loss.
As for what and how to teach your child, there's endless options for curriculums these days, or you can skip them all and teach him to read and write--the most important part of education--yourself. If you cruise, the kid will learn far more about nearly everything than the poor children stuck in a concrete building sharing a teacher with a couple dozen other kids.
There's no one way to homeschool, and there's barely a way to get it wrong. Have fun.
Old 29-10-2019, 03:23   #3

Boat: Allied Princess 36 MKII

Most states now endorse homeschooling *IF* you adhere to the states curriculum. That means enrollment in a state sponsored homeschool program. (Student is registered and state still receives funding for that student)
Since our primary objective was to eliminate the politically biased aspects of the modern system, we are frowned upon by the state.
It would be wise to have a curriculum that you teach, and a curriculum that you suggest is being taught IMHO
S/V Adeline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2019, 13:09   #4
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

Those living as nomads, not staying in any one jurisdiction for long, have greater degree of freedom from the nanny state.

Of course your kids being able to consistently demonstrate they test at a higher competence level than those in the local system, is the ultimate defence.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2019, 10:47   #5

I strongly urge you to follow your home school idea. Corrupt government has eviscerated the school systems and nearly all the good teachers. It has produced a generation of credentialed fools. Your kids will be be better educated, more successful, level headed and happier. And, best of all, living aboard stimulates confidence and love of being independent. Sadly, the downfall of the education system started soon after WW 2, and my adult kids thank me for realizing it..
dick sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2019, 11:01   #6

We use Time for Learning as a primary plan with additional from Khan Academy. You will end up with a far superior education if you use these vs the public education default of cranking out poorly educated degenerates. See TimeforLearning.com .
SailnBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2019, 11:10   #7

Join the Home School Legal defense Association for legalities and access to a home school friendly lawyer if needed.

BTW In the Peeples Republik of Kalyphornia, homeschools are classified as private schools.
DocHolliday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2019, 11:15   #8

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Adeline View Post
It would be wise to have a curriculum that you teach, and a curriculum that you suggest is being taught IMHO
Do you mean suggest to them that you are teaching one curriculum but actually teach something else?
Old 30-10-2019, 11:42   #9

Boat: Outremer 50S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benz View Post
... If you cruise, the kid will learn far more about nearly everything than the poor children stuck in a concrete building sharing a teacher with a couple dozen other kids...
As someone who was home-schooled on a cruising sailboat I will second this thought, with some emphasis on the "nearly." My experience, both for myself and with other kids I knew at the time and have known since is that good STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Math) education can be hard to deliver on a boat. This does depend somewhat on the parents'/teachers' skill set(s), but while culture, history, language, and even biology and other life sciences are relatively easy on a boat the hard sciences - chemistry, physics, etc. - and their related disciplines can be a bit tough in the boating environment.

Not saying it can't be done, just that in my experience it seems to get missed a bit. A traveled, well-rounded citizen with a natural understanding of (and empathy for) varying cultures is a wonderful thing - even more so if they are also versed in the sciences.
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2019, 11:46   #10
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

Should not be an issue for the STEM topics appropriate for a 5yo
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2019, 11:51   #11

Boat: Outremer 50S

Depends on how long you plan to homeschool.
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2019, 11:54   #12

I'm neither FOR nor AGAINST home schooling. My concern is whether the teacher/parent in the home has the aptitude to do so effectively. And whether the student is capable of effective self-directed learning. If the answer is no to both, then you could end up with a recipe for failure.

I have a cousin who was home schooled by his religiously ultra-conservative parents. (who also wanted to shield him from the political bias which contradicted their religious beliefs) Neither parents had a college degree. (not that that is a requirement) However, upon 'graduatiuon' they were left with an idiot with the penmanship and employability of a 2nd grader.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2019, 23:40   #13

Boat: Volkscruiser

I agree Shrew, parent input has to be a 100% to turn out a good home schooled child. We have a home schooled child living next to us and I would swear the only reason he is home schooled is because his parents cannot be bothered getting up before 10am! Plus the kid is real lonely and is at our place as soon as our kids get home from school.
I know a couple of very smart adults taught by their parents so it does work.
Cheers
Fore and Aft is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 03:12   #14
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31

The warnings about the pitfalls and shortages of homeschooling are apt. As a homeschooling parent, the bar is kind of high--you have to be the type of person you want your children to grow into. I'm not into the STEM craze, but I'm teaching my children cartography and navigation. They know, from our various building projects, how to measure and cut accurately. They see chemical reactions in the use of boatbuilding resins. They understand the rudiments of astronomy and celestial movements. Once they're old enough, I'll get them going on sight reduction--it's only basic math, but it's been enough for me. All these learning opportunities are part of our everyday existence, and each comes with an opportunity to explain the whyit's kind of neat.

Tags
school