Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-03-2015, 05:54   #1

Boat: a pirate at the baltic sea and chartering here and there
Honeymoon trip in FP - Any suggestions?

Hi there,
the life I knew is about to end, as we are getting married on BoraBora beginning of May
Will stay there for a few days and then set over to Raiatea to pick up a Leopard 39 for our 2-week honeymoon trip. I have read probably everything that can be found on the net on suggested itineraries, etc. but given that there is no up to date cruising guide I am feeling a little lost when it comes to planning this trip. Of course we want to see the usual highlights but would rather get off the beaten track and leave the crowd behind to find the romantic spots…you know So any first hand experience or any other idea to make this honeymoon even more unforgettable would be much appreciated.
Based on what I read, I have put together a rough plan of where to go day-by-day (though knowing that this will ultimately be decided by the elements and thus I left some reserve days to be flexible enough). This is what I have so far in mind:
Day 1: after we take over the cat at Marina Apooiti, a short sail to Tepua Bay on Raiatea’s north east coast
Day 2: morning snorkelling at Motu Taoru and then south to Faaroa Bay for an afternoon visit of the Aopomau river
Day 3: beating towards Huahine with the night at Fare Village
Day 4: sail south within the lagoon to Bay d’Avea (anything particular you could recommend there?)
Day 5: not sure whether we should stay another day on Huahine. If so, is there any good spot around Bourayne Bay or somewhere else?
Day 6: nice downwind sail back to Raiatea’s south-east coast and a night at Motu NaoNao
Day 7: around the south-west corner to Tetooroa Bay (they say that there are lots of dolphins which my fiancé just loves to watch) Is there anything else to do or any better spot on Raiatea’s west coast we should go to?
Day 8: across the ocean to BoraBora, for a nice afternoon around Motu Topua and an evening at the Bloody Mary restaurant
Day 9: around the inner lagoon with a stop a the lagoonarium near Motu Tupe and anchor in the south-east corner at Taurere
Day 10: back through the lagoon for a night at the BoraBora YC (any recommendation on where to stop on the way?)
Day 11: when the weather allows, back to Tahaa’s west coast with a night at Motu Tau Tau (heard that the coral garden there shall be exceptional)
Day 12: hop to Hurepiti Bay for a vanilla tour across the island
Day 13: around the north coast to Motu Mahaea/Ceran at Tahaa’s east cost for some nice snorkelling and in the evening over to Haamene Bay for a great dinner at the Hibiscus restaurant
Day 14: day in reserve and thus not yet planned but at night we need to be close to the Apooiti Marina to hand over the cat the next morning
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Many thanks and regards
Mario
Fantaseas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2015, 09:17   #2

Boat: Leopard 46
Re: Honeymoon trip in FP - Any suggestions?

There was this thread from last year....

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ti-129192.html
Old 22-03-2015, 02:50   #3

Boat: Amel Super Maramu 53 ft

Plan on doing less and wearing out your manhood more...??

Kidding!
Eleuthera 2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2015, 05:38   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Congratulations!

The Moorings Cruising Guide ➥ http://www.moorings.com/files/ASSETS...ti_GuideGB.pdf

See also ➥ http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...uide-6590.html

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2015, 07:52   #5

Dont plan so much. Learn of as many good spots as you can, but dont expect to see them all in 2 weeks. You have set an itinerary that sounds more like a cruise ship than a honeymoon. Kick back and enjoy one of the most beautiful places in the world. Congratulations. ______Grant.
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2015, 02:22   #6

Boat: a pirate at the baltic sea and chartering here and there

Thanks guys,

appreciate all the advice about doing less with the boat but more with my wife

As regards the cruiseship-like itinerary, guess we just like to hop around a few miles every day to see as much as we can, and given that we only have 4 longer passages over the 2 weeks and still 2 days left blank for places where we want to stay longer or that we discover on the way, it sounds about right for us.

I did of course read the previous threads here and the guides put out by the different charter companies, but they basically describe the same places again and again. So what we are looking for are ideas a little off the beaten track, where we may have a chance to have the bay for our own to enjoy the honeymoon, bringing us back to your original advice

So any places you liked a lot or recommend to skip would still be very much appreciated.

Cheers
Mario
Fantaseas is offline   Reply With Quote