Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-11-2018, 12:18   #16

Boat: Tartan 3800
Re: Horizontal Al propane tanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
Sorry but I'm confused. I'll have to go look at the boat but had new valves installed on my vertical AL tanks and I only recall two connections or fittings on top. One that is the service valive is for dispensing and filling. The other fitting on the top of the valve is the OP safety valve.

Vertical cylinders, have a single service valve, which is used for both filling and dispensing. That's what you have.

Current production horizontal cylinders have separate valves for filling and dispensing. The fill valve has the OPD on it, and the dispensing valve just has a backcheck on it so that it can't be used for filling. The fill valve is deliberately designed in such a way that the cylinder must be removed from service and placed in an upright orientation before filling.

Older horizontal cylinders do not have a port for the installation of a separate fill valve, so the new setup will not work on them.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 13:16   #17
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF
Re: Horizontal Al propane tanks

I've seen people adapt aluminium horizintal-mount forklift tanks, some for both vapour and liquid service. Not expensive second-hand.

Available in 33.5 and 43.5# sizes, can be fitted for remote fill in place rather than removing.

But obviously adapters are needed for the various locations.

Hard to get qualified techs to help with such shenanigans in "well regulated" jurisdictions, but it's not rocket science and quality parts are easily obtained once you know the terminology.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane, tanks