Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-10-2018, 10:17   #136

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran
Re: Horrible Guests, Terrible Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo Ticheli View Post
They are no longer friends and I am much happier.

Under different circumstances, we've discarded "gimme friends" and they have tried to stick with us ( or to us ). When we didn't respond, their unstated response was more or less, "Wait, what?"

Some people never get it.

Mae West
senormechanico is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 10:21   #137

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Actually, the 62 is easy to singlehand and the two of us manage quite well alone. Only one thing to sort out, the hydraulic anchor windlass runs much slower than we’re use to, so going to have to figure out how to speed it up. Tremendous torque but slooowwww.

I'm not quite sure what that has to do with the title of your thread, or my ever-so-cogent post (hahaha). Hmmmm, OK. Anyway, I was thinking more about your Nova Scotia to Azores plans. Some people, like some current YT home-movie morons, still like hippy colonies. I personally don't.
PortClydeMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 10:29   #138
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortClydeMe View Post
I'm not quite sure what that has to do with the title of your thread, or my ever-so-cogent post (hahaha). Hmmmm, OK. Anyway, I was thinking more about your Nova Scotia to Azores plans. Some people, like some current YT home-movie morons, still like hippy colonies. I personally don't.
OrinocoFlo (my wife) will do the Azores to Gibraltar and beyond, but has no interest in Nova Scotia to Azores. We’ve lined up four solid friends with plenty of cruising experience for next May who’ve already put in for time off work. Two of the fellows from this years attempt along with two other fellows we’ve spent time with. Hunting etc., there shouldn’t be any surprises. Everyone has specific rolls and each is very mechanically inclined.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 10:40   #139

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
Sounds as if you may have confused friends and acquaintances?
Agree... I've always labeled people in my head as family, friends, acquaintances, and co-workers. Sometimes they're a couple, like co- workers who become friends, but it seems to work for me. I mostly know what the expectations are from each group, as well as what I intend to give. Friends and family are the ones that show up when you're hauled out, the other two not so much
Souzag818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 10:47   #140

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35

Quote:
I appreciate your contribution to this thread, and thanks much for your nice compliment.

It was well-known to our guests and here on the forum that my wife and I are working Registered Nurses. Our guests on the other hand make a point of telling everyone how financially successful they’ve been over the years by owning several companies, one of which now employs 80 people. They are currently retired and own a 55ft boat which is presently for sale at $1 million dollars. They also own more than one home.
They don't own a million dollar boat and more than one home by giving away their money...
Souzag818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 11:09   #141

Boat: Freedom 28 Cat Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by KP44 View Post
Sex offenders have the lowest rate of reoffending of all major crimes. That said, your acquaintance sounds like he has no intention of respecting laws or people. I just didn't think your comment about "never change" is reliable for all.
This comment struck me as odd, so I did some research. Read this article. https://smart.gov/SOMAPI/sec1/ch5_recidivism.html
Jdeuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 11:17   #142

Quote:

Guest number three was in a league of his own... A former employee from 35 years ago, now living in Europe who connected with me via facebook the same day I left for Italy. I thought it would be nice to catch up since I hadn’t seen him in eight years
Most of the time there are very good reasons we do not see people (or at least do not communicate with them) for this long. Each time in the past where I "re-connected" with someone after a longish absence it soon becomes apparent why it was such a longish absence.

Hope your 2019 will be full of good sailing experiences and memories.
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 12:17   #143
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Time O25 View Post
Most of the time there are very good reasons we do not see people (or at least do not communicate with them) for this long. Each time in the past where I "re-connected" with someone after a longish absence it soon becomes apparent why it was such a longish absence.

Hope your 2019 will be full of good sailing experiences and memories.
My good friend Eugenio will join me on the boat here in Croatia on Friday for the sail up to Italy.
Old 02-10-2018, 12:30   #144

Boat: 1980 Southern Cross 39

Well I may as well state a few personal crewing policies.
1. Make very sure before you have them aboard what your expectations are. Many even have a disclaimer they make crew sign to protect themselves. In writing and signed before they stow their stuff. The conversation need not be rude but clear and firm. If you see even the inkling of doubt stop right their and send them on their way. I find inexperienced guests to be troublesome generally.
Like all problems in life far easier to deal with early on than later. Sounds like you have plenty of money. Why not hire a professional Captain and let him deal with things.
philiosophy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 12:35   #145

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Time O25 View Post
>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Each time in the past where I "re-connected" with someone after a longish absence it soon becomes apparent why it was such a longish absence.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Interestingly, my experience is that the "push" for this long-delayed "reconnecting" is directly proportional to the amount of time these folks spend on GASP!!! Facebook!!!

Ken, just another pattern!
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 12:49   #146
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by philiosophy View Post
Well I may as well state a few personal crewing policies.
1. Make very sure before you have them aboard what your expectations are. Many even have a disclaimer they make crew sign to protect themselves. In writing and signed before they stow their stuff. The conversation need not be rude but clear and firm. If you see even the inkling of doubt stop right their and send them on their way. I find inexperienced guests to be troublesome generally.
Like all problems in life far easier to deal with early on than later. Sounds like you have plenty of money. Why not hire a professional Captain and let him deal with things.
My wife and I are registered nurses, we don’t have “plenty of money.” We do all work on the boat ourselves and will possibly be running one or both of our boats next season in charter service.
Old 02-10-2018, 12:49   #147

Boat: Better not mention, (it's a motorized sloep)

Dear Kenomac,

Thanxz for your pm and I advice, Only invite guests with this attitude.

Grtz R
robregje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 16:56   #148

Boat: Mirage 35

I skipped a few pages, so apologize if I'm repeating, but the subject resonates so wanted to comment.

In our lower key context (week long coastal cruising kind of stuff) we hit some serious incompatibility problems on a few occasions. And to be fair, it was shared charters or similar and half of the incompatibility was probably on our side. Nothing on the scale of what you've described, but led us to a basic principle that we follow now that we own a boat.

We will invite people who we know well and are comfortable with, regardless of their sailing experience. Or we will invite people with sailing experience even if we don't know them that well.

People who lack both qualifications - well, if they're not already friends or they don't already sail, why would we want them on our boat?
Old 02-10-2018, 16:59   #149

Boat: Mirage 35

No, I take it back. Read my own comment and thought back to some experiences with people who had sailing experience but with whom we had serious incompatibilities.

So, nope, if we don't already know and like you, you're probably not coming on our boat. Sorry.
Old 02-10-2018, 18:35   #150

Boat: Passport 40

Quote:
My wife and I are registered nurses, we don’t have “plenty of money.” We do all work on the boat ourselves and will possibly be running one or both of our boats next season in charter service.
I really want to know your secret to being nurses and having two Oysters
gaucho is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
crew, rib