Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-05-2020, 09:59   #16

Boat: Tartan 33
Re: How best to learn to sail a large boat when i'm inland?

Also, there's a nice Bianca 414 at Panhandle YC. The poor dude's been trying for years to sell it. I met him a few times. The price is now down to about $30k. It'll cost a bit to move to the coast, but the boat is solid. If you're planning on going solo this would be a safe, comfy boat.
Old 20-05-2020, 10:06   #17

MOVE!

Michael Pope
Michael Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2020, 10:07   #18

Boat: Tartan 3800

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lasivian View Post
As I continue investigating the pitfalls and problems (Imagine that, preperation! Maybe I won't kill myself! lol) I realize that if you want to get insurance for a sailboat they want you to have sailing experience (Well, damn, of all the foolishness, right?!? LOL) I've only been on an actual sailboat once, and didn't learn much.

I'm confident I can learn what I need to, this is more trying to figure out what insurance would value.

My first sailboat was a Morgan 25. I got insurance from State Farm. They did not require a survey. They did not ask about experience. I am selling it and am now sailing a Hunter 26 which I also have insured through State Farm. Rates are about 1% of hull value.

Most other full-line insurance companies will also write boats.

The coverage is geographically limited to the U.S., Canada, and the Bahamas.

The people having problems getting insurance without experience are generally those who are planning international or offshore voyages, or who are trying to purchase a boat from outside the U.S. or Canada.

Quote:

This brings up the problem of trying to get meaningful sailing experience, preferrably on a larger boat, when i'm nowhere near the ocean.

Well, lakes, of course. Rivers, maybe.

I find that the cost profile and capabilities of a trailer sailor to be worthwhile. Then again there are people who sail 40 footers that draw 7 feet on the lake that I'm on so you could go that way too if your wallet can stand it and there are suitable haulout and launch facilities.

The rig, systems, weather forecasting, sailing itself, colregs, navigation, vhf, docking, anchoring, etc. are all the same whether you're on a trailer sailor or a 40'er except that on the 40'er everything is bigger and you can't compensate for your mistakes through application of muscle as readily.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2020, 10:11   #19

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Lucia
Smile Re: How best to learn to sail a large boat when i'm inland?

Good morning. I am also inland and here is my experience for what it’s worth. I sailed small boats on lakes with friends on weekends. Then took a flight to St Thomas for a one week live aboard a 45 foot Catamaran with an Instructor. We completed 3 ASA courses. I then convinced my friends to charter Catamarans with me for the last 10 years. I learned a ton! I also learned that I still have a lot to learn! Now I feel I am ready to buy a yacht and go sailing to continue my dream and will continue to gain experience.
-This process has taken a long time and may not be for everyone but I thought it could give you a perspective. This website is great and has many seasoned sailors with more experience that we can always learn from. Thanks to all of you for sharing .

Good luck and pursue your dreams!
Maple Leaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2020, 10:46   #20

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Learn to sail on a small boat first, the smaller the better, like a Laser or similar. Those who learnt on small boats are always noticeably better sailors. And a surprise for you: "bigger" boats are actually easier to sail.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2020, 11:09   #21

Boat: Hunter 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
Learn to sail on a small boat first, the smaller the better, like a Laser or similar. Those who learnt on small boats are always noticeably better sailors. And a surprise for you: "bigger" boats are actually easier to sail.
Ditto!!!
sail sfbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2020, 11:15   #22

Boat: Watkins 27 - 27'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lasivian View Post
I'm comfortable on the water... don't get seasick
"Don't get seasick"... yet.

IMO the advice so far is all very good. I'd suggest you take Halien up on 'his' offer.

Beyond that you might consider renting the house while you crew to get experience - then pull the trigger.
garyfdl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2020, 11:23   #23

Boat: Nonsuch 354

Don't sell the house yet. I was going to do the same thing then leave the country. Wiser, more experienced heads convinced me that I should keep the house for now. I can sell it later if the dream doesn't become a nightmare. Besides you need a base to work from. Get a grip and reign in the fantasy, and believe me, I know how hard that can be.

As to insurance, I had the same problem except that I did have some limited sailing experience. Tell the insurance company EVERYTHING, every class, every boat and anything that shows responsible mechanical skill. Build hours of experience any way you can, from renting small sailboats on lakes to crewing on bigger boats whenever and wherever you can. ALL of it counts. Many of us just didn't have the sailing opportunities in our past lives, so you have to be creative. Oh, and buy a forgiving boat. Good Luck.
Old 20-05-2020, 11:51   #24

Boat: Chris White Voyager 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlj View Post
You may wish to join a leg of off-shore sailing with John and Amanda Neal. Gives you directed learning on a large sailboat with capable instructors and blue water experience. I know they are not going right now with the covid-19 problem, but I'm sure they will start up again when that passes...

About John and Amanda Neal - Mahina Expeditions - Offshore Cruising Instruction

dj

You can short-cut a lot of time getting experience by doing this. John and Amanda are not the only ones in this game, but they're very good. If you're interested in "sailing everywhere", and by this I expect you mean some time on the ocean, this will get you jump-started.

Cheers,
Old 20-05-2020, 12:07   #25

Boat: Catalina & Maycraft

Buy a used Catalina 22, and trailer it to local lakes for weekend overnighters. You'll get a sense of bigger keel boat experience, from a smaller boat - and insurance without experience is no problem at all. On vacations, trailer it to the coast, and spend a week or two sailing in coastal conditions. From there, you'll have an educated opinion on exactly what you want to buy and do next, and it's extremely cheap to own. You can avoid slip fees, and also have an inexpensive accommodation to stay overnight, wherever you decide to sail or trailer to. A lot of cruising sailors started on a C22, and quite a few remember those experiences as the good old days.. not complicated or expensive, but a lot of practical sailing fun. Good luck whatever you decide.
Hardhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2020, 12:28   #26

Boat: Kelley-Peterson 46 cutter

Any little sailing dingy or small sailboat will give you a feel for sailing.

Driving large equipment. Backing a large trailer. Parking a big motorhome or a big truck. These will all give some help when you are navigating several tons of boat into a dockside slip with a bit of wind or current.
KP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2020, 13:17   #27
Marine Service Provider

Simple, charter.
jmschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2020, 13:48   #28

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

You need sailing time, and not just a week long charter or some lessons. You need some significant sailing time (this will help you be sure that pursuing your dream will be enjoyable, not a nightmare). Luckily you are near a big, beautiful lake with sailing clubs on it, and, when the lockdowns are over, they race there.

Even if you don't plan on racing on your own boat, the thing is, they know a lot about sailing compared to someone who knows very little, and they'll sail in all conditions. If it is race day, they will go sailing.

So you call these clubs and find out when they are racing and you drive to Coeur-D Alene, go to the yacht club. Park your car there about 1 hour before they race, and ask everyone you see if they need crew. The first time, with no experience, you night have to ask a few folks, but you should get a spot if you have a good attitude and seem willing. Yu don't need anything other than a good rain coat and some dry clothes in the car.

After that it gets easier. Do this for a year, never miss a race.

Now you said you don't have a significant other. Ok, fine. after you've logged some miles on boats in Coeur D Alene then move to Seattle for a year and repeat the process.

Then do some deliveries (help take the boat to another port).

NOW, you'll have experience and you'll know a lot about sailing and you can choose a boat and you can get insurance. And all the above will cost you very little.

Most of all, don't pay someone to teach you how to sail.
Old 20-05-2020, 13:50   #29

Boat: Oyster 054
Send a message via Skype™ to sailian89

Good advice above. Would think there are books and on line courses on navigation and weather for home on rainy days. Maybe someone recommend these? I learned from Dad decades ago...
sailian89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2020, 13:55   #30

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailian89 View Post
books... for home on rainy days.???
Rainy days is when you need to go sailing the most.

Tags
boat, sail