Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-06-2015, 10:31   #16

Boat: Ian Ross design ketch 63'
Re: how close to container ship?

I am by no means an expert, but while reading this a thought occurred; if you put yourself in the other Captain's shoes he really has no idea of your level of experience or the capabilities of your boat. He may have had one or many close calls with yahoos of another sort and is hyper-vigilant.

When another boat approaches and come inside my comfort zone I am always looking for clues as to how they are handling the boat, their level of sobriety, etc. We have been crossed at night literally yards away by a boat with no lights and some serious partying going on. Even after they passed they were unaware of our existence.....I will never automatically assume a boat approaching is in the hands of a master. So if your situation had happened to me I would have chalked it up to some scenario like that.

Better safe than...
redhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2015, 10:37   #17

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lepke View Post
In the US, as part of the punishment of ordinary citizens for 9/11, port areas and ships in those ports are within a restricted area and we are excluded. Some ships that appear as civilian are under lease or contract to the military and often as restricted as a warship. In the PNW I have been run away from log loading dock areas when no ship was in sight and wasn't aware the dock was part of an organized port.
San Francisco police shooing away a boat coming to close to a docked cruise ship:

Old 20-06-2015, 11:14   #18

Was the OP on the Cape Fear off of Sunny Point? If so, that would explain things.

Later,
Dan
dannc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2015, 11:47   #19

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by estarzinger View Post
That is incorrect. The general rule is no go closer than 100 yards, must reduce speed to minimum within 500 yards.

http://www.uscg.mil/d13/dpw/docs/Pro...neswebcopy.pdf
And that is U.S. Navy vessels, not container ships. The other protected ships are tankers and large passenger ships. Nothing about ordinary freight carrying ships.

I was also confused by Zee's post. The Patriot Act doesn't have anything in it about this. There might be something in ISPS, but I couldn't find it. I think this may be a matter for local rules.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2015, 12:11   #20

I don't get that radioman. But then again if he's docked or anchored the captain is likely not on the bridge anyway. Heck, I get up 50 feet away if it's fun to show my passengers how big he is. Often we get "hello" waves from crewman standing around. (no they're not waving us off!) Obviously not so with a boat with a boom around it or a naval ship. He's docked or anchored right?

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2015, 13:07   #21
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
And that is U.S. Navy vessels, not container ships. The other protected ships are tankers and large passenger ships. Nothing about ordinary freight carrying ships.
Well, it can get "complicated", because ordinary looking cargo ships can be "US Navy protected status" if they are on military lease or charter. There is no way I am aware of to know just by looking at them, so I just apply the basic rule to all. They should in theory be able to tell you by vhf, but it's usually easier to just given them the extra room.
estarzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2015, 13:27   #22

Boat: Hanse 415

A few weeks ago we came pretty close to a container ship under way in Boston Harbor. The way the wind was blowing I needed to get pretty close to him to avoid a big rock in the middle of the channel on the next tack. The wind was all sorts of awkward. I was aiming right at his midsection. The idea was to get pretty close then tack away. At about 75 yards, approaching at about 3knots closing speed, and still plenty of room IMHO, he starts the 5 horn routine. I immediately tack to make him happy, (go go gadget self tacking job) so that only 4 horns actually happened. I made the gesture of why are you freaking out but he was too big to make out anyone on the bridge.
markol0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2015, 17:31   #23

Boat: 35ft classic ketch/yawl.
Send a message via Skype™ to roland stockham

Not all commercial sailors appreciate how maneuverable small sailboats are. from you description you where perfectly safe unless there was something you where not aware of. Do you know the marks displayed for dangerous cargo, maybe he had just loaded explosives? Shame you did not ask what his concern was.
roland stockham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2015, 18:12   #24

Boat: Homebuilt schooner 64 ft. Sold.

Don't assume that Captians are infallible. I was one at one time. I would have inquired as to what he thought the problem was. I was canoeing with my wife once in Pennekamp State Park in the channel leading out of the Marina when a tour boat overtook another tour boat in the channel by us. He gunned it and ended up throwing about a five foot wake. I backed the canoe into the wake and we managed to stay up-right. He got on the loudspeaker and declared that we shouldn't be in the channel. I unfortunately did not have a loudspeaker to respond but if I did, I would have told him he was responsible for his wake, especially so close to the marina. The channel was in mangroves and he had no way of knowing where his wake was going and who it would effect.
The captain of the container ship might have had a legitimate reason for his radio contact with you. Then again he might not. Captains make mistakes too.
captlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote