Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-06-2017, 12:10   #1

Boat: Jeanneau 409
How do I choose the right broker to sell my boat?

Ever since listing my boat privately, I've been receiving emails from brokers asking me to sign with them.

What does one look for when shopping for a broker?

Picking a bad one is such a waste of time...
2015 Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 409 - 3 Cabin / 2 Head, Shoal Keel, Furling Main, Performance Genoa 135% with Tracks, Folding Prop, Bow Thruster, Air Conditioning, B&G Zeus2 Chartplotter, B&G Autopilot, B&G 4G Radar, B&G ForwardScan Sonar.
epiic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 12:49   #2

Boat: Various
Re: How do I choose the right broker to sell my boat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by epiic View Post
Ever since listing my boat privately, I've been receiving emails from brokers asking me to sign with them.

What does one look for when shopping for a broker?

Picking a bad one is such a waste of time...
Reputation and Interview but ignore all those emails. Find some local brokers and go meet them, talk to them, ask them some very direct questions like how many of their listings have sold in the past year or how many boats in the size and price range of yours, how long their boats have taken, what will they do for you.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 14:18   #3

Thanks for the advice. Makes sense...

If anyone can refer me to a good broker on the east coast of Florida, it would be a starting point.
2015 Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 409 - 3 Cabin / 2 Head, Shoal Keel, Furling Main, Performance Genoa 135% with Tracks, Folding Prop, Bow Thruster, Air Conditioning, B&G Zeus2 Chartplotter, B&G Autopilot, B&G 4G Radar, B&G ForwardScan Sonar.
Old 11-06-2017, 07:50   #4

Boat: Malö 40H
How do I choose the right broker to sell my boat?

Can someone enlighten me as to why would one want a broker at all in this day and age? It seems to me from my previous experience when I was buying our boat that all they did was put up an add online and then reply with a half ass standard Email when you ask something about a boat. I felt they were simply getting in the way between me (the buyer) and the seller...
crankysailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 08:44   #5

Boat: Island Packet 349

Quote:
Originally Posted by crankysailor View Post
Can someone enlighten me as to why would one want a broker at all in this day and age?
To avoid driving four hours each way to show the boat to each prospective buyer, for example.
Lost Horizons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 09:04   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Horizons View Post
To avoid driving four hours each way to show the boat to each prospective buyer, for example.
And then discover that "prospective buyer" doesn't mean what prospective buyer thinks it means.

Here we go again. LOL
sailpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 10:35   #7
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Ask for a copy of their last three annual income tax statements, and a copy of their BBB report. (Assuming you've got a BBB or similar in Canada.)

The guy who makes the most money, and has fewest complaints against him/her, is arguably not a bad start. Whether you'd give them an exclusive listing or a time limit, that's something else again.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 13:06   #8

Call around to look at a few boats. See how they respond, set up viewings, present the boats, answer questions etc.

I did this in Florida last month and the difference among brokers was amazing! One was excellent and most professional. One was pushing a piece of crap. One wouldn't commit to didly. One BSed his way out of showing me his listing for over a week. Another just did his job.
I was amazed at the variety of quality. Found who I'd use...
Flyingriki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 18:43   #9

What is what is the price point of your boat
jmac9365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2017, 17:22   #10

I am planning to sail it up to Annapolis within the next 10 days so I will start broker shopping in that area soon.

From my research, annapolisyachtsales.com seems to sell more boats than anyone in the area. Not sure its a good fit for my boat because they sell brand new Beneteau's.
Old 13-06-2017, 18:06   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmac9365 View Post
What is what is the price point of your boat

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...rs-185088.html
Old 13-06-2017, 18:11   #12

If it's a nice boat you should post it yourself the Brokers do nothing for you except post it on a website and they charge 10% which on that boat would be about $25,000.... after having my boat listed for over a year with a large broker I sold it myself in two months
Old 13-06-2017, 18:13   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmac9365 View Post
If it's a nice boat you should post it yourself the Brokers do nothing for you except post it on a website and they charge 10% which on that boat would be about $25,000.... after having my boat listed for over a year with a large broker I sold it myself in two months
I agree with you 100% but I wonder if the people who spend this kind of money on a boat are more comfortable buying from a broker to make sure the transaction and paperwork is done right...

Also, I am curious about how much traffic I would get from a YachtWorld listing.
Old 13-06-2017, 18:16   #14

The paperwork is not done by the broker they sub that out to a separate closing company which you can hire any Maritime attorney to do all the paperwork for a lot less than $25,000... plus I would think people would rather save a little money instead of paying a broker 25,000 you could lower your price instead of taking $25,000 of your profit and paying the broker
Old 13-06-2017, 18:17   #15

The Brokers play that scare tactic on you that you can't do it yourself but any attorney can drop a contract. The surveyor is not supplied by the broker he's an independent guy, which you wouldn't want him affiliated with a broker anyway. And then you get a marine documentation place to do all the paperwork... title search excetera

Tags
boat