Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-09-2022, 21:19   #1

Boat: Hartley, twin sister, twin bilge keel, 30'
How do I tackle this winch mount repair?

Hi folks,
One of my winch mounts has deteriorated (pic attached). But before I take on this repair, and potentially open a can of worms, I thought I'd ask for advice on (i) what to expect and (ii) any tips on repair.
I've never taken a winch mount off before and am a bit of a scaredy cat when it comes to new challenges on this boat (which dont want to stuff up).
Its a wooden boat, so I expect the winch mount to be the same.
Maybe I should have hacked into and sent that photo instead, but as I said. Scaredy cat.
I currently have it covered to try and keep the weather out of it.
Any thoughts very welcome.
Jimmy G
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Winch mount.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	416.8 KB
ID:	264536  
Jimmy_G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2022, 21:57   #2

Boat: Gulfstar 50 ketch
Re: How do I tackle this winch mount repair?

Pretty straigtforward: remove the winch drum, remove the winch base (should be through-bolted through the block and deck underneath, hopefully accesible throught the line storage cubbys), figure out how the block is fastened to the deck and remove those fasteners. Might be best to strip / grind the paint off so you can see if there are fastener plugs on the top surface. It's likely bedded to the deck, possibly with something quite permanent (i.e. 3M 5200). Separating it from the deck it without damaging the deck could very well could be the hardest part of the project. If the block is pretty rotten you can probably chisel it off in chunks, but measure it and make a drawing so it can be reproduced (less important if they're the same both sides and you're only doing one.

If you're lucky it'll be set in Dolphinite or something similar and will pop off with light prying. If not, I'd probably use a hand saw and cut it off along or just above the joint, use a hand plane and/or chisel to clean up the surface. Make sure the deck underneath is sound, or repair accordingly.

Get a block of wood big enough to make a replacement (or find a woodworker to make it for you if you lack the skills/tools) - teak would be best, or douglas fir if you can't afford teak (NOT pine or hemlock! You want something rot resistant and hard/strong). Cut to shape. If anything other than teak, I'd glass/expoxy wrap it entirely and oversize the winch mounting holes/fill them with thickened epoxy (epoxy with milled glass fiber and microbaloons), then drill through the center so each bolt hole is sealed from the wood. Bed it to the deck with bedding compound of your choice and remount the winch, making sure to use sealant around the fasteners, paint to match... easy, right?
Bellinghamster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2022, 23:18   #3

Boat: Landfall 39 - Ron Amy

Very good post above.

See if you can figure out how to remove the winch, and scrape some of the paint off the base to see how it’s connected to the deck. Investigate the underside to see how it’s bolted down. Then post more pics-unless things are obvious by then, which generally they aren’t.
Oeanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2022, 00:24   #4

When I had to replace winch mounts I used a large bit of beach, long enough to mount 2 winches each side. this spread the load over a much longer area of support.

The beach displayed no deterioration after 10 years in the tropics.
Hasbeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2022, 00:31   #5

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasbeen View Post
When I had to replace winch mounts I used a large bit of beach, long enough to mount 2 winches each side. this spread the load over a much longer area of support.

The beach displayed no deterioration after 10 years in the tropics.
I doubt that it would have, sand is very resilient.
Or did you mean the timber, beech.? Personally I would have used spotted gum or turpentine, but I am an Aussie in Australia.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2022, 08:22   #6

I am also an Aussie in Australia, & I used local beach sources from near the Whitsunday islands. Beach has been used for decking for decades due to its resistance to water damage & rot, hence my choice.
Hasbeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2022, 16:18   #7

Boat: Hartley, twin sister, twin bilge keel, 30'

Thank you all for the excellent advice.
I'll post more pics if/when I hit the next hurdle of this job.
Much appreciated.
Jimmy G
Jimmy_G is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
repair, winch