Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-08-2013, 09:53   #1

Boat: Endeavour 35
How do we get an "agreement" with named yard for Hurricane Insurance?

We are a young Canadian couple headed south down the intra-coastal water way (ICW) on our 35foot sailboat. Our new hurricane insurance requires us to have a “Hurricane Plan” which includes an "agreement" with a marina / boat yard to “haul out of vessel & securing to in-ground anchors, or storage within a designated hurricane resistant storage building

When I asked the insurance company for an example of an "agreement" they were not able to provide one and were very vague...

I'm not even sure how realistic it is to only provide them with a single yard agreement when it is very unlikely we'll be near enough a previously determined yard when a Hurricane hits. It seems like kind of just a check-in-the-box

Anybody else have this requirement for Named Storm insurance?
Can anyone recommend a marina / boatyard on the IntraCoastal that provides this service and this "agreement"?

Thanks
vector420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 09:55   #2

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
Re: How do we get an "agreement" with named yard for Hurricane Insurance?

Not in mine. The only thing in mine is that the deductible goes up to 10K in a named storm.
Old 07-08-2013, 10:01   #3

Sounds like you need a new insurance company. Convenient for them to stipulate something you cant find.. then they dont have to pay!

Cheechako is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 10:16   #4

Boat: Nordhavn 50

My insurance company just wants a general plan that you intend to follow. Mine consists of seeking a protected marina, securing with multiple lines, removing canvas and sails. If in my home port, I gave specifics as to which marina and sent pictures from google earth showing its level of protection from wave action. Also, deductible doubles during a named a storm. Good luck finding a hurricane proof building to move the boat into in the SE USA.
Capt.Alex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 10:20   #5

You could try sending them a plan as Capt.Alex mentions and ask if fit's acceptable. State that your vessel will be "in transit" and a specified location is not possible.

Cheechako is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 10:22   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore
The plan the insurance company is asking for is a haul out and then a 6-way tie down. While this sounds great, in reality the contract probably has the value of wet toilet tissue.

My carrier requires a hurricane plan that is basically strip the boat of canvas, double the lines and close the seacocks. That is a much more realistic plan.

My home inlet is Hillsboro Inlet in Broward County
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 10:51   #7

Boat: a sailing boat

I am not sure any boatyard within the hurricane area has a 'hurricane resistant' storage building. Tie-downs are offered in most hurricane area boatyards.

Check out your local law (which is binding btwn you and you insurance company) and see what 'agreement' means. When you purchase services, in some legal systems you enter into an agreement, in others not. And the piece of paper you sign, may be an agreement or it can be any other thing. But I assume you understand such things as they surround us everyday.

If you have the boatyard sign a piece of paper that has "AGREEMENT" at the top, and then it states what you agreed upon, and then it gets signed, you have the right to claim you have one. In some civilized countries a spoken agreement is also an agreement but in some cases (e.g. in court rulings) this may depend on the parties confirming that they acted in agreement.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 11:28   #8
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by vector420 View Post
We are a young Canadian couple headed south down the intra-coastal water way (ICW) on our 35foot sailboat. Our new hurricane insurance requires us to have a “Hurricane Plan” which includes an "agreement" with a marina / boat yard to “haul out of vessel & securing to in-ground anchors, or storage within a designated hurricane resistant storage building

When I asked the insurance company for an example of an "agreement" they were not able to provide one and were very vague...

I'm not even sure how realistic it is to only provide them with a single yard agreement when it is very unlikely we'll be near enough a previously determined yard when a Hurricane hits. It seems like kind of just a check-in-the-box

Anybody else have this requirement for Named Storm insurance?
Can anyone recommend a marina / boatyard on the IntraCoastal that provides this service and this "agreement"?

Thanks

I have only heard of one such place, on the eastern end of the Florida canal -- a boat yard that calls itself a "hurricane hole" -- but only for boats hauled out there.

I agree with the poster who said it is a convenient gap for the insurance company. Probably on land, well strapped down IS the best plan, but I'm not sure how you would find such a place with any guarantee.

My insurance does not have such a clause. It does double the deductible for any named storm. That's enough to encourage sensible people to do things like take the sails and canvas down, secure the boat well, etc., but this is the point for most insurance. It's not likely you're going to hit another boat cruising down the ICW.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 12:05   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

[QUOTE=vector420;1304837]We are a young Canadian couple headed south down the intra-coastal water way (ICW) on our 35foot sailboat. Our new hurricane insurance requires us to have a “Hurricane Plan” which includes an "agreement" with a marina / boat yard to “haul out of vessel & securing to in-ground anchors, or storage within a designated hurricane resistant storage building

The storage in a building is essentially non insurance. Doubt you'd be able to find such a storage facility. Requiring you to have a yard in a specific location is also non insurance as well if you are cruising. To make the insurance enforceable, you'd have to sail to that facility and get the boat hauled. Get caught anywhere else, and the insurance could try and void the coverage no matter how well you tried to mitigate damage. You might prevail if you sued them but would have more money in legal fees than your boat is worth to do that.

You need to contact your insurance agent and work out an agreeable way to be sure your insurance will cover you for Hurricane damage. May not be possible or cost efficient to do so.

Just out of curiosity, I was in Fiji last year and the marinas have true hurricane holes. They dig pits that the keel sits in with the hull at ground level. Seems like a great way to protect the boat as it's essentially sitting on the ground. No worry about being blown off of jackstands and falling into the boat next door.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 12:36   #10

Some yards here in FL allow you to buy onto a priority haul list. That means that for an advance annual fee you are guaranteed a haul during a named storm. If you are not on the priority list you might not find a yard that can get you out in a timely manner.

The actual haul/store/launch is additional.

I’m guessing that is what your carrier is after.

You would have to clarify with them the what if you are out of the area scenario as it might affect your coverage.
sailpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 15:06   #11

Boat: Perry 41
I know of a boat yard in NC that sells a Hurricane Haul out. Its called Cape Fear Boatworks. They will haul your boat for any named storm for the entire hurricane season. If there are no storms that season you get one free haul, block and launch. I don't know how much it is but they have a huge building that can be used as well. Great place highly recommended! It is up the Cape Fear River near Wilmington. Well protected and would not have second thoughts leaving my boat there for a hurricane.
patr1707 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hurricane, insurance, men