Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-11-2019, 20:19   #1

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail
How Do We Keep Our Old Bodys Working?

Living aboard into our 70's. Cruising each year (and in our case racing each year too).

We go to the gym three times a week when we're in port. We work hard. Today I beat my best times on the rowing machine and pushed more weight on the resistance machines. OK good, but for the last few weeks I was a wimp,

Couldn't do a thing.

It seems it's totally random when we'll feel strong and when we can hardly get on deck in the morning.

How do we get and keep fit so we can continue to sail? I mean on any day, not just the good days?
Old 22-11-2019, 21:36   #2

Boat: PDQ 41
Re: How Do We Keep Our Old Bodys Working?

TRX is a good thing to use underway, particularly if you have a mast.
Best,
Maldwin
Maldwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2019, 22:05   #3

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maldwin View Post
TRX is a good thing to use underway, particularly if you have a mast.
Best,
Maldwin
Thanks for that,

Look everyone, I'm not just trolling, I'm really struck by how some days I can't even walk straight down the dock. It takes me 100 meters before I can stand up straight.

Then other days (fewer) I am bouncing . It doesn't matter what I did the previous night. Yesterday I worked my ass off on the boat, and stayed up late drinking scotch with my neighbor, and then this morning I feel like superman.

It makes me shake my head.

Fred
Old 22-11-2019, 22:15   #4

Boat: Island Packet 40

You philosophize that getting old is the pits, get started on making a good day out of it somehow, let go with a couple of YEEHARS, and get on with the rest of life.

I find it helps to consider that you could be stuck in a couch in a flat somewhere in a city with nothing better to do but watch reruns on TV whilst you wait to die.
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2019, 22:47   #5

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondR View Post
You philosophize that getting old is the pits, get started on making a good day out of it somehow, let go with a couple of YEEHARS, and get on with the rest of life.

I find it helps to consider that you could be stuck in a couch in a flat somewhere in a city with nothing better to do but watch reruns on TV whilst you wait to die.
Don't forget though, if you are in a flat in the city, there are lots of things to get you going in the am.

As far as keeping your body working (I'm nearing mid 60's), you might try some yoga/stretching a bit more on days you don't feel like doing weights

This looks pretty easy, but it's actually quite hard to do. I usually start cussing this quiet talking guy about halfway thru

Besides the yoga you can walk/run afterward but depending on how fast and far it can make you tired for a few days afterward.

On days you lack energy, try some CoQ10 or better yet maybe take it everyday 200 mg or so

Then there's cycling if the weather in decent.

I pulled a lower calf muscle last weekend on the treadmill so I haven't been able to run all week. (I should have just run the woods trails as usual despite the rainy weather) I did light weights today: Bench press on Smith Machine, curls, presses, squats, pullups at the gym at work. 2 sets each

My pre run workout is pushups 20-25, pullups 6-8, stretching, then 2.5 mile run/jog/walk

And usually after my workout I get to go and visit the boat and have a beer!
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2019, 22:52   #6

Boat: Fantasia 35

75 years here!

If you are taking meds you might want to check there side effects. I am taking couple of meds that seem to have a similar effect as you are describing. Some days I wake up after 7 - 8 hours of sleep and 3 hours later I can't stay awake. Other days, I feel pretty darn good.

BTW, one of my favorite saying is: "Living is what happens while waiting to die!" One of those universal truths.
Viking Sailor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2019, 23:05   #7

I am still a youngun at 38 so can't comment on my own experience but from others i know your age its all diet and activity level and having something that motivates you to get going each day
stainless guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2019, 23:15   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingssail View Post
...It seems it's totally random when we'll feel strong and when we can hardly get on deck in the morning.

How do we get and keep fit so we can continue to sail? I mean on any day, not just the good days?
-If you're taking cholesterol medication, ensure that it is recommended by the guidelines, not by your hair color; otherwise understand that all statins are understood to cause muscle inflammation in everyone regardless of other supplements added (e.g. CoQ10)
-Alcohol can cause transient heart rhythm disturbances (particularly a-fib) which can result in feeling like a loss of energy/mojo, without other symptoms (such as palpitations or chest pain). This doesn't have to happen each time one drinks, and the heart may revert out of fibrillation without intervention. This isn't a good thing at all. Period general health checkups would be wise.
-Consider a meticulous daily activity, diet, sleep log for a month. Look for patterns relating to symptom changes.
-Assuming no other obvious cause for energy fluctuations, poor sleep quality is a very common culprit. Consider a wrist-type (actigraphy) sleep monitor, audio sleep monitoring (i.e. mobile phone or tablet app) for noise monitoring (reviewing in the morning).
-Consider daily multivitamins, as well as judicious use of mineral supplements (particularly the latter if alcohol is used).
-If a male, consider checking testosterone. Dominant textbook theory on the subject is "old guys normally have lower testosterone" which is analogous to "old tires show belts, just deal with it." If testosterone is genuinely low, then normalized with replacement, it's routinely a fountain of youth (improving strength, improving activity recovery) to otherwise active males who are symptomatic.
-Again, basic checkups at least once a year are advised. With new fatigue symptoms, anemia and heart issues (even with no proper chest symptoms) would be a pressing concern.
Singularity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2019, 23:47   #9

Boat: Beneteau Idylle 1150

Lots of good advice in the above posts. I can expand on one and add one new one.

Atrial Fibrillation can be so minor that it is not noticed except by professionals. In many people it can cause variable listlessness and fatique. Best to get that checked and if it is severe enough, surgery might be necessary.

Once past about 60, daily doses of vitamin B12 can help with energy metabolism. The 1000 mg tabs are best even though actual absorption will be less than that.

Good luck.
Old 23-11-2019, 03:09   #10

Boat: Island Packet 40

There's no better exercise than a morning stroll up to the bow to pull the anchor.
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2019, 06:15   #11
cruiser

Quote:
Living aboard into our 70's. Cruising each year (and in our case racing each year too).

We go to the gym three times a week when we're in port. We work hard. Today I beat my best times on the rowing machine and pushed more weight on the resistance machines. OK good, but for the last few weeks I was a wimp,

Couldn't do a thing.

It seems it's totally random when we'll feel strong and when we can hardly get on deck in the morning.

Im 83, just sold my Trawler and looking for my next sailboat. A fool and his momey is soon parted. LOLOL
geoleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2019, 06:37   #12

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marathon1150 View Post
Lots of good advice in the above posts. I can expand on one and add one new one.

Atrial Fibrillation can be so minor that it is not noticed except by professionals. In many people it can cause variable listlessness and fatique. Best to get that checked and if it is severe enough, surgery might be necessary.

Once past about 60, daily doses of vitamin B12 can help with energy metabolism. The 1000 mg tabs are best even though actual absorption will be less than that.

Good luck.
You should probably be taking a B complex vitamin.

I just checked my B50 and it has 833% Vitamin B12 plus other B vitamins.

Then I take vitamin C, magnesium, calcium, zinc, Vitamin D in Winter, a Generic Alpha Brain (for memory and focus which helps me keep track of all the usage data on our systems plus on our employees, plus PM's and Corrective Maintenance on those 17 systems), Endurox R4 after a long run or bike ride, CoQ10, and probiotics if my system is working properly.

Diet includes lots of fruits like apples and pineapple
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2019, 07:37   #13

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

I don't think that this is so much an age related thing as it is the human condition. I have noted that even young body builders have stated that there are days when they have to drag themselves to the gym. On those days they often work lighter than days when they are energized. I'm 77 and keep quite fit but there are days that I don't have a lot of energy, however, I have experienced that yin-yang flow throughout my life. I find that on those days a good invigorating walk helps to energize me. I start out slow and soon find that I have picked up the pace to my normal walking speed. IMO.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2019, 07:56   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepFrz View Post
...I'm 77 and keep quite fit but there are days that I don't have a lot of energy, however, I have experienced that yin-yang flow throughout my life. I find that on those days a good invigorating walk helps to energize me. I start out slow and soon find that I have picked up the pace to my normal walking speed. IMO.
Most excellent advice. Past age 70 the 'use it or lose it' rule really kicks in--just a few days bed rest can really reduce the size of the energy tank/stamina requiring a lot longer (than in youth) to return to the pre-bedrest state. Bluntly put, if one can't go for a simple walk, a trip to the physician or a phone call to the old-folks home is in order. Daily walks (or better) are not optional in life.
Singularity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2019, 08:01   #15
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Thanks for that,

Look everyone, I'm not just trolling, I'm really struck by how some days I can't even walk straight down the dock. It takes me 100 meters before I can stand up straight.

Then other days (fewer) I am bouncing . It doesn't matter what I did the previous night. Yesterday I worked my ass off on the boat, and stayed up late drinking scotch with my neighbor, and then this morning I feel like superman.

It makes me shake my head.

Fred
Sounds more like over training to me.

You should NOT be going for personal bests at this age, not even if you were a couch potato in your middle years, which you were not.

I think it is probably more about targeted, gentle stretching on your off days. More like gentle yoga than trying to get tough-guy strong.

At least, that is the lesson I have learned. You don't get strong when you are working out and you don't get stay limber by rowing and lifting.

Tags
work