Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-05-2023, 06:38   #16

Boat: Dragonfly 32 Supreme
Re: How do you secure Code 0 furling line?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxykty View Post
I’m assuming you have an endless line (the ends are spliced together) that runs back along the deck and turns back through a floating block? If so, then the easiest way to secure the furling line is to fix a long bungee to the block to keep the line taut. The bungee should be long enough so that you can pull the furling line forward and put a wrap around a midship cleat. That will be enough to keep the line from moving.
You can use a snatch block or a low friction ring with the continuous furling line, either can be attached to a shock cord loop that attaches to a stanchion or some other deck fitting. The friction ring would have to be installed when you build the continuous furling line.

It’s pretty nice to have a jam cleat close by to set the furling line in to prevent accidental unfurls. You can also use a mooring cleat or other cleat as suggested above but nice in big seas if you don’t have to go forward.

We’re spoiled sailing a tri with our Code Zero because we have a big working platform on the trampolines for raising and lowering the furled sail.
DragonflyBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2023, 08:05   #17

Boat: Shuttleworth Advantage

It depends a lot on whether you drop the sail, only putting it up when using or leave it up. Mine only gets put up when being used so I went for conventional drum not a continuous furler.

When the sail is furled, enough turns to wrap the sheet a few times and reaches the end of the furling line, I simple drop the sail untie the figure of eight stopper knot on the outside of the drum, disconnect the Wichard snap shackle, bundle the sausage including the drum into a locker leaving the furling line in place, tied off on the seagull striker.

Just another option.
Tupaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2023, 07:15   #18

Boat: Privilege 37

My continuous furling line is sized to end at the back of the cockpit, where it goes around a block which has a ratchet allowing rope to be furled, but not unfurled unless you release the ratchet. The block is then tensioned to a supported stanchion at the rear of the cockpit.
When furling, release some tension on the sail, and set ratchet and reel her in. no fuss, no ropes to worry about if the sail is up or rolled.

This is a top down furler, but the principle is the same. Mine is a Bamar system.
Old 29-05-2023, 07:27   #19

Boat: Jeanneau 43ds

On my gennaker it has a top-down furling system with a Karver continous line furler at the foot. I dont suppose there is a lot of difference between bottom-up or top-down but i have a long continuous line through a double-block+cleat Selden which i clip on the toe-rail (see earlier posts by Mattzilla & Garrett). The Karver does have an automatic lock included but i disable it. When furling or unfurling it could mostly be done by hand (100 sq. m - 350 sq ft) but the lazy way is that i use an electric winch for most of the hard work. When unfurling, once the clew and enough sail material is exposed it will rapidly unfurl all by itself but stand clear of any of the furling line on the cockpit floor. In fact i clip the line on the pushpit rail at this point and let the sail unfurl on its own. But the Selden double-block is the solution, just make sure that the outgoing line is free and not in the cleat or it will create so much tension that it becomes hard to uncleat.
I do not leave the gennaker mounted and furled for longer than nec due potential UV exposure so leave the lines all set up but drop the sail into a protective bag which i leave on the foredeck.
Andrew

Tags
furling