Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-05-2023, 15:14   #1

Boat: Farr 50 Pilothouse
How do you secure Code 0 furling line?

I'm hoping to run a Code 0 on a bottom up furler this season. One thing I haven't been able to find any info on, is what do you do with the end of the continuous line furler once the sail is furled? How do most people secure it so the sail doesn't unfurl?
Muaddib1116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2023, 15:45   #2

Boat: Outremer 55L
Re: How do you secure Code 0 furling line?

I’m assuming you have an endless line (the ends are spliced together) that runs back along the deck and turns back through a floating block? If so, then the easiest way to secure the furling line is to fix a long bungee to the block to keep the line taut. The bungee should be long enough so that you can pull the furling line forward and put a wrap around a midship cleat. That will be enough to keep the line from moving.
fxykty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2023, 15:48   #3

Ah, I like the midship cleat idea. Thanks!
Old 19-05-2023, 18:37   #4

Boat: Dean 440 13.4m catamaran

another option is there is usually a way of passing a line or a pin through the actual furling sheeve, so you lock the sheeve up...rather than the furling line

this of course assumes that you can reach the end of the prodder without too much drama !

cheers,
Old 19-05-2023, 19:26   #5

Selden do a 10 and 12mm double block cleating system for endless line furlers - 405-001-40r and 406-001-40r

I have used this, works well, also used to use a cleat.
Mattzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2023, 19:31   #6

Looks promising! I'd probably still use the midship cleat idea, on top of the cam cleat.
Old 21-05-2023, 16:41   #7

Boat: Jeanneau 44DS

I have a double stopper on my code 0 furling line to apply friction on the furling drum. But I also take the code 0 down when not in use.
Garrettw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2023, 16:42   #8

What do you mean by double stopper? Where is it located?
Old 21-05-2023, 18:42   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muaddib1116 View Post
What do you mean by double stopper? Where is it located?
It’s a twin cam, twin block fitting. I have a snap shackle on it and I attach it to a d ring in my deck near the cockpit. But it could also attach to a stanchion. It looks like this:

https://us.binnacle.com/p10990/Selde...duct_info.html
Old 22-05-2023, 01:55   #10

Boat: TRT 1200 GT

A normal cleat works for me. Super simple and cheap.

Paul
toolbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2023, 03:25   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrettw View Post
It’s a twin cam, twin block fitting. I have a snap shackle on it and I attach it to a d ring in my deck near the cockpit. But it could also attach to a stanchion. It looks like this:

https://us.binnacle.com/p10990/Selde...duct_info.html
Ah, that's what Mattzilla mentioned. Looks pretty promising. Does it work well? I like that it seems like it would redirect the loop towards the cockpit, and maybe even a winch, if you need help furling.
Old 22-05-2023, 07:18   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muaddib1116 View Post
Ah, that's what Mattzilla mentioned. Looks pretty promising. Does it work well? I like that it seems like it would redirect the loop towards the cockpit, and maybe even a winch, if you need help furling.
Works great in my case. The cams are absolutely necessary for me to single hand my asymmetric. Otherwise the furling line slips on the furler and the sail comes shooting back out when the wind catches it. The D ring I hook it to is approximately perpendicular to a winch so that makes furling an absolute breeze. I also have a second twin block lead (without cams) that I put around mid-ship to lead the furling loop aft without snags or chafe.
Old 25-05-2023, 11:43   #13

Boat: Hunter 38

I have essentially that setup on a Hunter 38. The placement of the fairleads at the furling drum end is essential. I cannot stress that enough, and it is going to be trial and error.

Put them in the wrong place and you'll potentially get issues that turn the furler into an automatic back wrapping device.

On my boat from the fairleads back I don't need to use any others, ie it's a straight run. I made a heavy bungee strop with a loop, and a short dyneema soft shackle. So the aft end of the the continuous furling line just runs through a 3rd small block that is attached to the traveler arch via the bungee and the soft shackle (on a hunter, but a toe rail or a stanchion base would work fine).

The bungee gives a little stretch but keeps tension on the furling line at all times, which is critical for my crappy CDI furler that lacks any sort of cage to keep the line on the drum. It also allows me to take a turn around a handy horn cleat when I want to secure it, and then flip it off the cleat when I want to deploy/retreive the sail.
flightlead404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2023, 11:56   #14

We just use a soft shackle as the temporary brake to keep it from unfurling. If you leave it hoisted when not in use for extended periods I wouldn’t recommend this because of chafe issues. But it’s super simple and easy if it does fit your use needs.
Kinkircating is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2023, 05:34   #15

Boat: Hunter 38

The other thing I do to prevent initial unfurling, flapping, etc is to tie 4 or 5 gaskets of breakable yarn around the furled sail as I lower it. When raised the next time the yarn holds the sail tightly until a good yank on the the sheet breaks the yarn.
flightlead404 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
furling