Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-11-2019, 19:35   #46

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft
Re: How do you tie up to these cleats ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentePieds View Post
Ah - the Mascot 28. Nice boat even if she IS short by a coupla feet ;-)! Actually she is better than TP in that she has an inside steering station, which TP lacks. Just now, here in the Straits of Georgia, it's cold enuff to make me wish for one. Where did you pick 'er up? I'm curious because she is so very Scowegian. There can't be many of them here in the Colonies?

As for your midships line - can I please continue to do it my way, please? Pretty please :-0)?

TP

I found her (used-one owner) on the Maine coast. The original brochures aboard show she was imported to Annapolis from Denmark-probably the only one in N.A.
They did make a few 33ft versions also.Galley in wheelhouse makes the salon "bigger"-sort of like a 30-31ish spacewise. Storage is unbelievable-every possible nook has been utilized.
Of course any boat needs an extra 2ft. or so at times.
For our cold,wet,foggy area,she is a joy. We motor more than we sail due to tidal currents & finicky winds.

Yes! You may dock any way you like,but my way is better.
Actually,using your bow line or bow spring thru a mid cleat is a clever use of resources. Perhaps there is hope for you.

Cheers/ Len
Old 28-11-2019, 04:20   #47

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
My favorite is "never step off a boat that is not secured." I'm pretty sure that is less safe much of the time, than stepping off in the right way. It just depends on the dock, the boat, the person, and the situation. Some people have no balance, some do.
Single-handed I really try to get a breast line on before stepping off. Sometimes you can't. As you said, you need a plan.

My plan includes by default the immortal words of Dianna Doyle: "if you can't step off the boat while wearing high heels the skipper is too far, too fast, or both - go around and try again."
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2019, 04:40   #48

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentePieds View Post
As I've said before, I abhor eyes in the ends of dock lines. If you know your Ashley's there is absolutely no need for them, and for those of us who singlehand ANYTHING that can hang up ashore detracts from the safety and elegance with which you can depart
I disagree. A spliced eye is substantially stronger than a knot or hitch. It also makes self-sufficient arrival and departure straight-forward.

I drop an eye over cleats on the boat, run the line to the dock bull-rail, cleat, piling, bollard, or what have you and back to the boat where it is cleated. Lines can be adjusted on board and we/I can leave without assistance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
Disagree completely. Direction depends on the direction of the load entering the cleat.
Absolutely. The load goes to the far side of the cleat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotCook View Post
And, don’t get me started on “Dock Hands”! I do not trust handing/throwing my dock lines to a dock hand. Do marines not bother to train dick hands on how to clear a line, or not to pull the bow in tight and force the Saturn out? Why do people not understand “cleat it!”? Instead, the say “I’ve got it.”. No, you don’t! The vessel will pull you right into the water, if it doesn’t pull it out of your hands first!

Rant over...
I share your rant. Dockhands are the single greatest hazard to cruising sailors.

I'll add to your list of stupid dockhand tricks. When instructed to take a turn on a cleat (not cleat it, take a turn) so I can pull against more often than not the glaze-eyed dimwit stands there and says "I've got it." Right, you can hold the boat against wind, current, and the engine. We don't use dockhands. We have a plan. We execute the plan. We're self sufficient. Dockhands who hang around and watch us and still want a tip will be pushed into the water.
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cleats