Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-09-2023, 23:14   #16
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60
Re: How had an interest in sailing originally developed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastalBreeze View Post
One intriguing aspect offered by sailing happens to be gaining the chance to better understand the associated history of this lifestyle and the discovery of stories about the point of origination for one’s interest in this one-of-a-kind activity. As some people have chosen it to be a professional pursuit, while others prefer it as a leisurely pastime, and some totally devote themselves to building a full life at sea, is the memory of whatever has served as the initial inspiration to beckon oneself to become a sailor still present within your mind? Are there any people who may have been (partially or fully) motivated to incorporate boating into one’s life from having grown up as part of a family with a deeply-rooted connection to seafaring as a tradition and wished to ensure that the acquired knowledge of this useful skill would continue among multiple generations?
My inspiration was a young man that would many years later become a friend on his farm in Montana Robin Lee Graham. And his story of circumnavigation on the SV dove and the boo, of the same name . Growing up on puget sound in washington didn't hurt any either.
Old 12-09-2023, 23:32   #17

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

I grew up in canoes on the lakes of Minnesota and in the surf on the Caribbean coast of Columbia.

I liked being on the water but was lazy and didn’t like paddling nor paying money for a motor and fuel.
The summer before college I discovered the sailboats at the UW which was not good for my grades but I managed to graduate and sail.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2023, 06:29   #18

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 31
How had an interest in sailing originally developed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyb2 View Post
“There is a significant overlap between the capabilities of the smartest bear, and the dumbest tourist”

This is a gem. Thanks.
Old 13-09-2023, 06:51   #19
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adelie View Post
I grew up in canoes on the lakes of Minnesota and in the surf on the Caribbean coast of Columbia.

I liked being on the water but was lazy and didn’t like paddling nor paying money for a motor and fuel.
The summer before college I discovered the sailboats at the UW which was not good for my grades but I managed to graduate and sail.
But the winter sailing on lake washing machine was good .
Old 13-09-2023, 06:57   #20

Boat: 35' Alden Design Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wholybee View Post
GPTZero gives it a zero percent chance of being written by AI.

https://gptzero.me/
Thing is, I don't need to use an AI Detector to tell me if it's AI.
Iron E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2023, 05:06   #21

Boat: Brewer 12.8

How can “How had an interest…” even be a question? Does it make sense to anyone or has it already leaped into the twilight zone?
wgerstmyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2023, 05:39   #22
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

What to make of the on-topic replies? AI as well? Mods all flock here to add content!

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2023, 08:59   #23

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
But the winter sailing on lake washing machine was good .
I can't tell you how much fun it was to sail a Laser on the windward side of 520 during a storm. Never did that alone though, always in pairs. Still had to do some intense rescues with folks that got in over their heads.

For most of you that don't know, 520 is a major E-W route in Seattle that has a floating bridge over Lk. Washington, which is too deep and wide for most kinds of bridge. The thing about floating bridges is that the reflect the waves. During a storm the big waves would reflect creating a very nasty chop on the windward side. If you were good, it was fun and exhilarating. You wanted to be at least 200m upwind from the bridge so you if you wiped out you had time to recover before being blown into the bridge. And you went in pairs so if a boat broke, you could get a ride home and the only thing being recovered was the hull and not your body.

If you sailed the leeward side 200m downwind it was 20+kt and almost dead flat. You could plane most of the way across the lake.
Old 20-09-2023, 09:01   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by wgerstmyer View Post
How can “How had an interest…” even be a question? Does it make sense to anyone or has it already leaped into the twilight zone?
While English is the required language of the forum, there are many members for whom that is a 2nd or 3rd language.
Old 20-09-2023, 09:12   #25
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
I can't tell you how much fun it was to sail a Laser on the windward side of 520 during a storm.
Not much compares to it . It is an exhilarating experience to say the least . Really gets the adrenaline flowing freely.

Old 20-09-2023, 14:00   #26

Quote:
While English is the required language of the forum, there are many members for whom that is a 2nd or 3rd language.
The grammar in OP's title could be marked up to ESL if the content of their entire post also had similar grammatical mistakes.
Old 20-09-2023, 14:00   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
What to make of the on-topic replies? AI as well? Mods all flock here to add content!
Yep. It didn't go unnoticed.
Old 20-09-2023, 14:03   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron E View Post
The grammar in OP's title could be marked up to ESL if the content of their entire post also had similar grammatical mistakes.
IE:

If there is a post or PM that your feel violates the rules, is spam or is in someway suspect, please flag for review.
At the top right of every PM and bottom left of every post there is a TRIANGULAR icon to report items for review by the mods. Every flag using this function generates an email that mods get and starts a discussion thread in a sub-forum for moderators. It may still take while for a response to occur.

Regards,
Adelie
Old 20-09-2023, 14:29   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeywoodJ View Post
Just for grins I asked ChatGPT to write a first post for Cruiser's Forum:

I also asked it from something more specific about white smoke from a Perkins 4108:

This was obviously NOT AI. I am positive.. There is nothing in there about anchors or guns. Defo not AI.

Including a sentence of what anchor should I get? and Should I have a gun (and if so what type) and where to hide it.

That would be true AI... ; And Guarantee lots of on topic responses...
h20man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2023, 14:32   #30

Quote:
IE:

If there is a post or PM that your feel violates the rules, is spam or is in someway suspect, please flag for review.
At the top right of every PM and bottom left of every post there is a TRIANGULAR icon to report items for review by the mods. Every flag using this function generates an email that mods get and starts a discussion thread in a sub-forum for moderators. It may still take while for a response to occur.

Regards,
Adelie
Thanks, Adelie, Nope, I don't believe this post violates any rules, is spam, or needs to be flagged.

Tags
sail, sailing