Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-11-2017, 17:07   #46

Boat: Wharram Tiki 46
Re: How many of the boat's systems can you put through a laptop?

You might want to check out this related thread:
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...on-187822.html

I also neglected to mention three other things we use our computer for:

- music - have a large library of digital music - recently switched to using Bluetooth to send it to an inexpensive audio AMP:
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B01...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

- audio books - kids listen to them with the amp while underway, but planning on trying some Bluetooth headphones when I can get them.

- Movies - also have a large library of digital movies. My Nav station monitor can swivel around to be viewed from the Saloon.
NahanniV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2017, 21:10   #47

Boat: Currently Boatless!

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
Too underpowered for me, unless saving a couple hundred is a big issue for you.

Only geeks who enjoy figuring stuff out should IMO bother any Linux DIY.
Saving hundreds is not necessarily an issue - though I would prefer to spend less to achieve a similar outcome.

NahanniV certainly seems to have squeezed a lot of functionality out of that little box. At this point in time, I can't see me needing to run half the things he is running. Also, it isn't something I feel I need to rush out and buy, not straight away, but I do think it is worth investing more of my time reading about it and figuring out if it is a system I can/would use aboard in the future. Fortunately, I've time on my side.
Old 19-11-2017, 22:44   #48
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Quote:
Too underpowered for me, unless saving a couple hundred is a big issue for you.

Only geeks who enjoy figuring stuff out should IMO bother any Linux DIY.
Sounds like you haven't had a chance to play around with openplotter, really don't think there's another system comes close to ease of setup and integration of systems. Signalk built in, menus to set up sensor/nmea creation, serial/udp/tcp multiplexing outputting nmea/signalk over serial/wifi/ethernet for nmea0183/2k, i2c, 1wire creation of signalk /nmea for temperature, voltage, barometer imu compass etc.
Plenty fast enough for nav, just load it, plug in gps/ais and off you go, Opencpn preinstalled with all plugins. Menus to update system/Opencpn.
That's before looking under the bonnet with node red. A really powerful system before even thinking about figuring stuff out..

Is there another option easier to set up?
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2017, 23:00   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by conachair View Post
Sounds like you haven't had a chance to play around with openplotter, really don't think there's another system comes close to ease of setup and integration of systems. Signalk built in, menus to set up sensor/nmea creation, serial/udp/tcp multiplexing outputting nmea/signalk over serial/wifi/ethernet for nmea0183/2k, i2c, 1wire creation of signalk /nmea for temperature, voltage, barometer imu compass etc.
Plenty fast enough for nav, just load it, plug in gps/ais and off you go, Opencpn preinstalled with all plugins. Menus to update system/Opencpn.
That's before looking under the bonnet with node red. A really powerful system before even thinking about figuring stuff out..

Is there another option easier to set up?
Hi Conachair - I am currently looking at the virtues of the Iridium GO! system as the primary comms platform for extended offshore (comms blackspot) periods. Is the openplotter system compatible with the GO!?
Old 19-11-2017, 23:20   #50
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by settlednomad View Post
Hi Conachair - I am currently looking at the virtues of the Iridium GO! system as the primary comms platform for extended offshore (comms blackspot) periods. Is the openplotter system compatible with the GO!?
Sorry, can't help you there I'm afraid, I know nothing at all about iridium Go.
Old 19-11-2017, 23:48   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyDaveNY View Post
There is one issue with a single display that too many people don't realize, and that is often, especially when people get tired or bored, they fail to switch between screens to see all of the data. At a minimum, I want a depth display and engine temperature gauge to be separate and prominently displayed. There may be other instruments that you want separate. Radar for example is best displayed on it's own. There is nothing wrong with having everything available on one monitor as a backup, but some things are best when independent.

Information overload is a real issue when too much is displayed on one monitor.
Any cheapo laptop can display to 2 or 3 monitors. Plus you can split screens.

Also no need for high end computing power. None of the systems we are talking about require significant computing power...even running applications simultaneously.

Having a backup to critical systems is a good idea but smartphone/tablet (which likely already have) is a good backup system completely independent of the laptop.

Biggest issue is where to put the monitor.
- If you have a protected helm position where the monitor is out of the weather and direct sunlight, it's cheap and easy.
- If you have no protected helm position, you might have to buck up for a daylight viewable waterproof monitor (or waterproof shell)
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2017, 00:10   #52
cruiser

Quote:
Saving hundreds is not necessarily an issue - though I would prefer to spend less to achieve a similar outcome.

NahanniV certainly seems to have squeezed a lot of functionality out of that little box. At this point in time, I can't see me needing to run half the things he is running. Also, it isn't something I feel I need to rush out and buy, not straight away, but I do think it is worth investing more of my time reading about it and figuring out if it is a system I can/would use aboard in the future. Fortunately, I've time on my side.
It's certainly well worth looking in to, but also not the be all and end all for sure. You still need to sort out a case, power supply (5v usb so not hard) probably needs a usb hub. I haven't played around with nmea2000 so can't confirm but looks like a $50 usb adaptor will cover that. With the low power and low cost it's worth considering as an additoon to another system, offshore its great as you can see so much data on any smart phone /tablet with little power draw. Ease of set up is a plus, you can set alarms either in openplotter or Opencpn for high windspeed, off course etc.
For me the engine temperature and battery monitoring is a huge plus, and the ease of sending everything out over wifi. Temperature sensors cost about a beer, voltage maybe 2 beers. Handy as well is being able to use it as a wifi repeater, add a high power usb wifi dongle with a good antenna and it's simple to set it up to rebroadcast wifi to many devices down below.

Then if you do feel like tinkering the sky's the limit I record lots of stuff constantly into a data base and have various dashboards for temperature/voltage grqphing and get navtex sent straight to a file.
Old 20-11-2017, 04:17   #53
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

Quote:
Go! presents a standard WiFi signal just like any hotspot.

It is just very very bandwidth limited, and has the slower ping speed of any satellite internet.

Suited for text-based comms like emails, old-school html web pages with no graphics etc.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2017, 05:40   #54

Quote:
Go! presents a standard WiFi signal just like any hotspot.

It is just very very bandwidth limited, and has the slower ping speed of any satellite internet.

Suited for text-based comms like emails, old-school html web pages with no graphics etc.
Thanks, John. I have heard it isn't too quick! However, I am happy to receive grib files and be able to send standard lines of text in emails as a compromise for ease of use and (when working well) worldwide coverage. They also have a free/cheap rate for voice and sms - another perk to the system. For all coastal/marina/anchor scenarios, I'll be using local sims and mobile tethering.
Old 20-11-2017, 06:04   #55
cruiser

Not sure how they accommodate voice & text from a hotspot, I would think that would only work if you had a compatible iridium phone and they allowed it to work off the same service account?

Of course with a VoIP smartphone service like TextNow, you could do both over data, but the IP packets would be charged.
Old 20-11-2017, 06:33   #56

Quote:
Not sure how they accommodate voice & text from a hotspot, I would think that would only work if you had a compatible iridium phone and they allowed it to work off the same service account?

Of course with a VoIP smartphone service like TextNow, you could do both over data, but the IP packets would be charged.
As part of the application package for Iridium GO!, they give you a software package/app for your smartphone and/or tablet. This can also include an Iridium email address (trimmer and less demanding than standard email addresses etc.) if desired. Data, calls and texts are done through this Iridium app. Emails can be written offline and then sent as a batch whenever you connect your phone/tablet to the Iridium wifi hotspot. And the best part is this...data is charged as seconds/minutes of airtime and not by bytes!!! On average, I believe that several slimline emails (no photos and the like) and a grib file or two can be simultaneously sent and downloaded in about 30 seconds. This may be based on a time when the GPS signal is at its strongest. But even so, I like the concept.
Old 20-11-2017, 07:26   #57
cruiser

OK, makes sense, they have their own VoIP app proprietary to their service only.

Just as long as you are very careful about pictures, those minutes can add up quickly!

In a normal cell network, making voice calls over data (VoIP) can actually be cheaper than paying for regular voice charged by time.

But with Iridium, voice calls are based on their minute$ regardless.
Old 20-11-2017, 07:45   #58

Quote:
OK, makes sense, they have their own VoIP app proprietary to their service only.

Just as long as you are very careful about pictures, those minutes can add up quickly!

In a normal cell network, making voice calls over data (VoIP) can actually be cheaper than paying for regular voice charged by time.

But with Iridium, voice calls are based on their minute$ regardless.
I need to dig deeper and understand fully just what's on offer. But from my limited understanding, an Iridium system with a UK sim (+44 for example) means that outgoing calls and SMS messages to numbers of the same country code are free - or as near as dammit. They also have a (rather expensive) package which is around £90/month and is unlimited data/calls. I'm sure this must be based on not-taking-the-piss usage, but still, peace of mind for constant comms. I think a £700 pre-paid package (1000 minutes data/500 minutes of calls - or a combination of the two) lasting 12 months should cover my needs adequately. It is only really going to come into its own on the oceans. For all other comms there will be 3/4G when near the coast. Also, the Iridium system is not set in stone; I am keeping all options open for now. Many a good point has already been brought up in this thread.
Old 20-11-2017, 07:57   #59
cruiser

Sorry but any use of "unlimited" is guaranteed to be laughably fraudulent.

"Taking the piss usage" is purely in the eye of the beholder, and their definition will be a tiny fraction of any cell provider's.

Read the fine print for sure.

I would start with the lowest non-contract monthly plan, then incrementally increase only if really needed, focus on keeping habits tuned to lowest possible usage.

Only go to an annual plan after many months of experience and thorough testing.

Tags
boat, laptop