Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-12-2017, 10:53   #31

Boat: Bavara 37/Soling 27
Re: How much boat can I afford?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Sunseeker View Post
That's sort of like asking how high is up? With that budget you are home safe. That Freedom above looks very tempting to me. I bought my 32' in Long Beach for about 27K and have put that much and more into it. but it is still only 32'. Actually 31'-6".

There are many factors to consider, your experience, age, marital status, a pet? Where do you want to go, mentioned above, but plans change. Will you need to work to supplement the cruising funds? Work clothes storage? Is this to be considered your first and last boat? The only thing I would really stress is try to find a good second hand one that the PO has spent many $$$$ on to bring/keep in solid condition. They are out there. Try San Diego for a P.O. boat as many folks from the NW start out to sail around the world get as far as San Diego and one or both bail out. And remember a boat can sit very quietly in it's slip and things will go wrong. Buy a boat that you are proud to own. Even though my boat is only 31'-6" a lot of folks tell me how nice she looks. And it's a 77 model. I am proud of her but no matter what I do, she is still only 31'-6". Sorry, "La Traviata" now don't pout.

Thank you! This is an excellent piece of intel "many folks from the NW start out to sail around the world get as far as San Diego and one or both bail out"
NedX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2017, 10:57   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by CascadeThumper View Post
Nice boat. My experience says that 100K will quickly become 200K. I always end up double with everything nautical despite my good intentions.
Excellent boat. Cascade, you're answering my question. It's not how much the 100 k will buy, it's how long they'll last. Every boat I've ever sailed on has been someone else's problem to maintain. That's the question I need your help to answer.
Old 26-12-2017, 11:19   #33

Boat: C&C Landfall 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by NedX View Post
Excellent boat. Cascade, you're answering my question. It's not how much the 100 k will buy, it's how long they'll last. Every boat I've ever sailed on has been someone else's problem to maintain. That's the question I need your help to answer.
If it is an old boat buy something that someone else has already poured money into fixing it up, they will never get what they spent back, you pouring 60k into a 15k boat makes a 30k boat, buy one that someone else has made that error.......it's not an error IF you do it and plan on keeping it for many years......

I see people buying a 10k boat putting 30k into it and thinking they can get 45k for it, in the real world this does not happen........they think thier labour is worth something, unless it's a shipwright doing the work in thier down time it's worthless.......and a good shipwright would never make that mistake.....
nwdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2017, 11:36   #34

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Welcome aboard Ned. On the face of it 100K can buy a lot of boat. But as someone said, where are you going with the boat? The more specific you are with plans and your skills and your preferences, the easier it is to answer the question. After the 100k is spent, how much cash flow will you have to maintain you and the boat?
If someone handed me 100K and said go get a 32 footer I'd be thinking of a really well-refitted older boat, one that was well-built originally as well, and performs the way I want for the places I intend to go to. The boat to get is the one where someone had maintained the boat well and prepared it well and then changed their mind. Everything new on that boat will come at a dramatically discounted price. Personally, I'd be thinking I'd spend only half of that or less and put the rest in the bank. Just as an example I might look for a Rhodes 41 (which really is a 32 footer stretched) or on another spectrum, an S&S 34, a but then I am partial to older boats .....but that is just ME. So much of what is loaded in your question has to do with you, and that we don't know much about.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2017, 12:30   #35

Boat: B24

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post

You just have to find where you fit in between the above and what others think is indispensable..
Thanks for posting that -- I’m quite fond of the smaller Bristols – we paid $600 for our B24 about ten years ago or so, refurbished it mechanically and sailed it fairly hard, although locally, and although I put her up for sale once upon a time (when we got the ODay), I decided against it -- still have her and am loath to part with her even though now it needs a ton of work. They just seem to get under your skin and have a way of behaving themselves despite the situations the absent-minded skipper might get them in to.
Old 26-12-2017, 12:35   #36

Boat: 1980 Southern Cross 39

Hi Ned, There have been some thoughtful answers. I agree you need to be realistic about your needs in a boat and all that. Here is a tip. Before you buy, go to New Zealand or Australia. There two thousand US dollars equals three thousand Aussie or Kiwi dollars. They have fairly strict Catagory 1 restrictions on boats that want to leave their waters to cruise to the islands each year.
Good luck....
philiosophy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2017, 13:42   #37

Boat: Camano 41

Would take your Soling 27 over a wetsnail 32 any day also. I assume you have purchased cars? Would you rather have a 30 yr old XKE factory model over a 1987 Malibu that was tricked out? One is performance inbred, and one is performance enhanced. Your choice. People have stated in the past, you want to get there fast, or you want to get there? Look at the Cheoy Lee Clipper ketch for sale on the pages. Your choices will soon turn into your decision, and your ability to live with the choice.
Greg Mason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2017, 14:10   #38

Quote:
This is great advice, and I will remember it. By your logic, if I splurge for 25k on a boat that sold 150,000 new I can keep it running for between 5 and 10 years with what I got left, and there's my answer. And since I sail a small boat pretty much every day I'm near water and it's blowing less than 30kt, I agree with your philosophy on that, too. Thank you!
thats the way

An older boat you might replace half to all of what you see, but then it should be good for 6-12 yrs. On that philosophy a boat with good bones that is due for a refit makes good sense.

For the most part the fitout between a 30ft and a 38ft, costs about the same. Then by particular systems, the engine about doubles, the rig add 50%, paint by area, etc.
Old 26-12-2017, 14:12   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
Welcome aboard Ned. On the face of it 100K can buy a lot of boat. But as someone said, where are you going with the boat? The more specific you are with plans and your skills and your preferences, the easier it is to answer the question. After the 100k is spent, how much cash flow will you have to maintain you and the boat?
If someone handed me 100K and said go get a 32 footer I'd be thinking of a really well-refitted older boat, one that was well-built originally as well, and performs the way I want for the places I intend to go to. The boat to get is the one where someone had maintained the boat well and prepared it well and then changed their mind. Everything new on that boat will come at a dramatically discounted price. Personally, I'd be thinking I'd spend only half of that or less and put the rest in the bank. Just as an example I might look for a Rhodes 41 (which really is a 32 footer stretched) or on another spectrum, an S&S 34, a but then I am partial to older boats .....but that is just ME. So much of what is loaded in your question has to do with you, and that we don't know much about.
Thank you, this is another thoughtful answered I appreciated. There's a little about me on my bio, and I've been answering questions as they come up: The more of you I hear from the better it'll be. This is a first boat to own for an experienced and educated coastal sailor who plans to do that forever, starting with baby steps of living on the thing and going up and down the waters he knows well (New England), then gradually move on down...and over, maybe.... I actually know what boats I like, but I don't know anything about the economics of owning instead of sailing. That's where my question about initial cost to longer term outlay comes in. And that's why I'm here listening to you.
Old 26-12-2017, 14:14   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZULU40 View Post
thats the way

An older boat you might replace half to all of what you see, but then it should be good for 6-12 yrs. On that philosophy a boat with good bones that is due for a refit makes good sense.

For the most part the fitout between a 30ft and a 38ft, costs about the same. Then by particular systems, the engine about doubles, the rig add 50%, paint by area, etc.
and then after 6-12 social security kicks in and I've got my uninterrupted income source, right? er, right? (Thanks!)
Old 26-12-2017, 14:17   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by philiosophy View Post
Hi Ned, There have been some thoughtful answers. I agree you need to be realistic about your needs in a boat and all that. Here is a tip. Before you buy, go to New Zealand or Australia. There two thousand US dollars equals three thousand Aussie or Kiwi dollars. They have fairly strict Catagory 1 restrictions on boats that want to leave their waters to cruise to the islands each year.
Good luck....
I've never heard a better excuse to finally get to Australia. Of course, then I'd really have to get serious if I ever want to come back to the States. Thank you!
Old 26-12-2017, 16:15   #42

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Thank you, this is another thoughtful answered I appreciated. There's a little about me on my bio, and I've been answering questions as they come up: The more of you I hear from the better it'll be. This is a first boat to own for an experienced and educated coastal sailor who plans to do that forever, starting with baby steps of living on the thing and going up and down the waters he knows well (New England), then gradually move on down...and over, maybe.... I actually know what boats I like, but I don't know anything about the economics of owning instead of sailing. That's where my question about initial cost to longer term outlay comes in. And that's why I'm here listening to you.
I understand you are asking about economics, but as soon as you said New England I thought of this boat that Scout just brought to this other thread... maybe something to consider? Post #891
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...147098-60.html
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2017, 16:27   #43

Boat: Jeanneau 349, FP 47, Sense 50, J 42ds

On a used boat that I intend to cruise I’d start with the engine. I am not mechanical so I want the engine in perfect shape. Assuming late model engine I’d have every fluid, belt, water pump">raw water pump replaced. I would then look at standing rigging. If more than 20 years old I’d replace. I’d replace the batteries if more than three years old. If the boat hasn’t been cruised plan on upgrading the anchor and ground tackle. A survey will list all the things that need fixing. You may be able to get seller to finance. Buying a project boat if you have neither the skills or the time is generally a bad investment. I’d check the electronics. Does it have what you want. You can get lots of ten to fifteen year old boats for 60k or so. Fifteen year old electronics are generally ok but I would add AIS. If it were me I’d budget 60-70 k for the boat and 20-30k to cherry it out... and understand everything boat takes longer and cost more.
Zzmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2017, 16:49   #44
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: How much boat can I afford?

Someone gave me $100K I'd buy this..
https://www.apolloduck.com/boat.phtml?id=536450
fit new keel bolts and go sailing..

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2017, 19:04   #45

Boat: Scout 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwdiver View Post
If it is an old boat buy something that someone else has already poured money into fixing it up, they will never get what they spent back, you pouring 60k into a 15k boat makes a 30k boat, buy one that someone else has made that error.......it's not an error IF you do it and plan on keeping it for many years......

I see people buying a 10k boat putting 30k into it and thinking they can get 45k for it, in the real world this does not happen........they think thier labour is worth something, unless it's a shipwright doing the work in thier down time it's worthless.......and a good shipwright would never make that mistake.....
This is a good post. Don't get in a hurry. Find a boat that someone has poured their heart & soul into. They are out there. DO NOT BUY A FIXER UPPER! The amount of time it takes to refit a boat cannot be over-estimated. The amount of money it takes to refit a boat is always under-estimated. The return you'll get for saving that old girl that seemed like it was too good a deal to pass up will be pennies on the dollar.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat