Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-03-2014, 00:28   #16

Boat: Westerly Sealord
Re: How much does all your crap weigh?

Photos of my wind vane thingo after I have sorted some other stuff out...
Old 21-03-2014, 00:33   #17

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
Mustafa Bin lots of stuff on your boat
I think he was there too...
GILow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2014, 00:36   #18

and his camel??
struth...
Old 21-03-2014, 01:06   #19

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Here's the formula for change in immersion with added load.

T = L*W/120 =[t/cm]
L*W = length (waterline) + width (waterline), all in meters and decimal parts thereof [m*m]

Change in immersion
(Δ)dm = q/T [cm] q= added load in metric tons, T(cm) from formula above)

New immersion- dm,2 = dm,1 ± q/T*100 [immersion in meters and Load q in metric tons]

On our boat 12meters by 4 meters (I've just rounded off to make all this easier), adding 2 tons of load means:

T=12*4/120 = 48/120 = 0.4 (tons per centimeter of change in immersion)

2 tons therefore = 5 centimeters change in immersion

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2014, 01:21   #20

Thankee Carsten... that should work for 99% of boats using waterline length x beam....
Last time I used it was back in the dream time...
Old 21-03-2014, 01:28   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delancey View Post
That said if you added ... a bunch of guns to the boat I would think they should be included.
Once you start shooting people your displacement will be reduced... however water coming in through the hole you just blew in your boat when you shot some punter will lead to free surface issues
Old 21-03-2014, 05:20   #22

Quote:
and his camel??
struth...

If it had been there it would have been more use than most of the other crap I threw out.
Old 21-03-2014, 05:22   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by carstenb View Post
Here's the formula for change in immersion with added load.

T = L*W/120 =[t/cm]

L*W = length (waterline) + width (waterline), all in meters and decimal parts thereof [m*m]

Change in immersion

(Δ)dm = q/T [cm] q= added load in metric tons, T(cm) from formula above)

New immersion- dm,2 = dm,1 ± q/T*100 [immersion in meters and Load q in metric tons]

On our boat 12meters by 4 meters (I've just rounded off to make all this easier), adding 2 tons of load means:

T=12*4/120 = 48/120 = 0.4 (tons per centimeter of change in immersion)

2 tons therefore = 5 centimeters change in immersion

Using my iPad so don't know how to say thanks. So.... Thanks Carstenb!
Old 21-03-2014, 05:33   #24
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 37' Oyster Heritage

My old boat was weighed on a loadcell for rating purposes, so I knew her exact empty weight. 4250 Kg.

After an Atlantic circuit we sold her in the Azores and had to ship all our possessions home. This involved weighing everthing on a borrowed set of bathroom scales. This process, along with all the fuel, water and assorted crap added about 800Kg to her displacement; when compared to when she was a local cruiser-racer.
sestina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2014, 05:37   #25

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

For two people aboard for extended cruising, figure 8,000 pounds above the dry as-built weight. In my case, that included 400 pounds of tools and 250 lbs of cosmetics...
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2014, 05:42   #26

Boat: Hans Christian 33

Our boat is listed as 18,000 lbs. We were hauled prior to going to the Bahamas and had provisioned prior to being hauled, and the lift showed us at 28k.
ReMetau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2014, 06:00   #27

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Quote:
Thankee Carsten... that should work for 99% of boats using waterline length x beam....
Last time I used it was back in the dream time...
You're right - if you are going to be exact - you need to get a lading schedule from the boat manufacturer. The above formula, is an approximation, albiet one that is more than close enough for the purposes of a sailboat cruiser.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2014, 06:17   #28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Far too much

1 metric ton of water
0.6 metric tons of fuel
0.5 metric tons of ground tackle
probably 0.5 metric tons of tools, spares, broken gear saved for cannibalization
probably 100 -- 200 kilos of kitchen equipment and stores
0.4 metric tons dinghy, motor, davits
probably 100 kilos of books and paper
God knows how much pure clutter including bicycles, spare generator, spare rope (including probably 100 kilos of retired halyards and running rigging)

It's sad when I think about it, and I intend to be gradually more merciless in culling out the clutter. It's somewhat hard for me because I don't have any residence or any kind of storage space in the UK, so this is effectively my home here. But the load is noticeable even on a large monohull. How one lives on a smallish cat I have no idea.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2014, 09:31   #29

Boat: Tayana 52

Mark, you seem to start a passage with little water and rely on your water maker to keep up with consumption?
Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
Our boat came with OEM standard equipment of full aluminum hard bimini/dodger/davits, two AC units, electric winch, watermaker, solar panels, dinghy/outboard, anchor and chain, windlass, fuel polishing system, reefer/freezer, large battery bank, inverter/charger, generator, complete navigation electronics and chartplotter/radar and much other stuff.

Later models had as standard OEM equipment washer/dryer, isolation transformers, a second anchor and chain, additional tankage, SSB and other stuff.

So for us, we have added an SSB/Pactor and a few consumer electronics to our OEM boat. Since I only have to account for things that are not OEM, I'm guessing 100lbs maximum in equipment.

I own one pair of flip-flops, one pair of Keens and some board shorts and T-shirts. If things ever get cold, I also own one pair of jeans and a thin sweat shirt. Altogether, I'm guessing my wardrobe at 5lbs. Michele, of course, seems to have an "outfit" for every day and every occasion. I'm going to estimate her wardrobe at 25lbs. So make the clothing total between us 30lbs.

Our boat completely empty with OEM equipment weighs 16,500lbs, and we are currently at 19,000lbs (yes, we are a heavy catamaran, so the peanut gallery can just hold back the "condomaran" comments). So 2,000lbs/couple seems about right for us (there are two of us on board with everything we own in the world).

The clothes weigh next to nothing. I estimate in cruising mode we are probably carrying around 1,000lbs of provisions. The rest must be in spares, cooking/eating utensils, etc. We don't have jerry jugs on deck, but carry 2 propane tanks and up to 12gal of gasoline for the dinghy.

Books, CD's and DVD's? Do people actually still have these things? That is what hard drives are for. We have a few reference books and service manuals, but all other media is electronic - more music than we can possibly listen to, more books than we can possibly read, and more movies than we can possibly watch are all on a 2TB drive. With a cloned backup.

When we were forced to upgrade all of our electronics, I ripped out miles and tons of old OEM wiring and replaced with a single cable NMEA2000 network. That probably saved a few pounds. The watermaker means that we don't have to set off on a passage filled with 850lbs of water. The large solar means that we don't have to carry extra fuel to provide power.

Mark

mMark
Gerrycooper56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2014, 10:33   #30

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

I didn't mean to imply that we start with no water and just make what we need on the way. I meant to imply that we don't need to have completely full tanks and extra jugs of water lashed to the rails. The watermaker will supply 30 gallons in an hour, which provides us with comfortable choices on when to run it and how long.

My point is that something that is considered in this thread a frivolous weight addition (watermaker) can actually leave your boat lighter on passage (and at all times, actually) because you don't need to carry large heavy stores of water. Just leaving 50 gallons out of the tank or out of the jugs saves almost 500lbs! You would need to throw off a lot of gear and provisions to match that.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote