Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-10-2012, 15:18   #16

Boat: 41' Sail
Re: How Much Effort for Another?

Not even a second thought for me. 1) Notify the marina of the situation. 2) Ask them to notify the owner.3) Give as much assistance as you feel capable of handling. Don't risk injury, pehaps you can rally others to lend hands. Not near storm conditons out west, but we occasionally have our blustery conditions. Becasue we sail in light air, people never prepare for the odd blow. Many furled jibs go flying when people neatly coil the furling line but don't secure it! Saved a few this year. An unfurled jib and whipping sheets on a 45'++ that is in a down wind slip is wild! Got a few bottles of grog for me efforts! Help the POOR GUY!!!
Old 29-10-2012, 15:21   #17

Boat: 15' Catboat, Bristol 35.5

Don't even think of lifting a finger to help. He might blame you for any damage.
kmacdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2012, 15:31   #18

Us, ours, you, yours. That's what the CG told me was their order of priorities. My own safety, my boat's safety, other's personal safety ... and last ... other boats safety.
daddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2012, 15:31   #19

Boat: Sabre 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssanzone
guys... really?

who cares what his excuse is for not coming.

i would want someone to help me if it were my boat and i would help him in whatever way i could.

are all you 'you have done enough because you called' people just jaded old barnacles?

since you are all, apparently, entirely self centered, i would love to be there when the owner returned to his trashed boat so i can hear you say 'sorry your boat is trashed but i wanted to teach you a lesson for not answering your phone.'

if i havnt shamed you all enough.. the OP stated the owner works on the boat a lot and does not know what he is doing...

at least those replying are not part of my boating community in SF.

pft.

-steve
This is the point of the question. At what point do people stop fixing another persons problems when they know well enough what needs to get done.

Right now the boat sits 6 feet off the dock due to his changing of dock lines and change in wind direction. With 30 knot winds keeping it there. Do you pull the boat close to the dock, hop on, and try to rerig his lines so they work... with possibly several breaking as you do, leaving you now semi-stranded on his boat? His boat is particularly unsafe in that the only lines which aren't chafing are on a portion of the deck that's 18" wide, with no guard rail or lifelines, and no handholds. If lines break while you're on it, the only way to pull it in is from the one cleat at the end of this "deck" in 30 knots, with no hand holds, in the rain. The deck is made of "starboard" btw!

I'll provide a photo if you don't believe me.

It can be done, but not safely. At what point do you evaluate it as not worth it?

Don't think for a second I or others around here haven't been out wandering the docks taking care of issues for owners not down here. This is a particularity special case though.
Old 29-10-2012, 15:51   #20

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

As most have said, I would do ALL I can to secure his vessel, but if the winds 30 + mph, it might just be to much of risk to help him out much ! Maybe a few hours ago when the wind was lower, you might have done some good ! but even I draw the line at hurting myself or others to help someone out ! I carry a lot of spare heavy lines, cus I like to anchor fore and aft a lot and being from the PNW ya never know when ya are gonna need them ! We just secured our boat and some others for Issac down here ! Do what ya can but don't feel ya must try, if the conditions make it unsafe ! Just my 2 cents
Old 29-10-2012, 16:44   #21

It can be done, but not safely. At what point do you evaluate it as not worth it?

uggh! Sounds like you have assessed the situation well. Also sounds like you may be outflanked by out of control factors. I would not untie his lines but only add additional lines if possbile. If not, you tried and you've done your best. Good for you!
Old 29-10-2012, 16:50   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jeffry View Post
Not even a second thought for me. 1) Notify the marina of the situation. 2) Ask them to notify the owner.3) Give as much assistance as you feel capable of handling. Don't risk injury, pehaps you can rally others to lend hands. Not near storm conditons out west, but we occasionally have our blustery conditions.
This is pretty much my thinking. OP states his boat is not in danger.

- Inform the marina in writing (email OK) that they should contact the owner and have him fix the issue
- Offer the marina that if the owner is unable, but gives permission, you will secure the boat
- For storm prep I would not mess with someone else's boat without being invited to. I would and have retied failed dock lines and fenders. That's just neighborly. However if there is a risk of hull loss for him - I don't want my name on it without his consent.

If my boat were at risk, my communication to the marina would be much stronger, advising them that I hold them responsible for my boat along with the other owner. I would then secure his boat anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daddle View Post
Us, ours, you, yours. That's what the CG told me was their order of priorities. My own safety, my boat's safety, other's personal safety ... and last ... other boats safety.
Nice philosophy but I would but other's life ahead of my property. Stuff can be replaced.

Us, you, ours, yours...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticGringo View Post
This is the point of the question. At what point do people stop fixing another persons problems when they know well enough what needs to get done.

<snip>

Don't think for a second I or others around here haven't been out wandering the docks taking care of issues for owners not down here. This is a particularity special case though.
You sound like a great dockmate.

My 2 cents already listed above.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2012, 16:55   #23

If the owner is that unconcerned why not open the cocks and sink her? You know, to minimize the hazard to others who do care.

Repaint her transom to name her Navigational Hazard. Sounds like this owner has his obstacle at the dock.
Richard5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2012, 17:02   #24

[QUOTE=Richard5;1071585]If the owner is that unconcerned why not open the cocks and sink her? You know, to minimize the hazard to others who do care.QUOTE]

yikes, scary thought..especially if he happens to be on CF..
Old 29-10-2012, 17:15   #25

Boat: 45ft Ketch

Sounds like its a bit risky and the owner may have decided wisely, for himself and you, not to risk life and limb.
Pity he never had one extra rugged line out off the bow so that when others failed.....
DumnMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2012, 17:18   #26

for all you know he's tired of rebuilding and hoping for a loss.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2012, 17:34   #27

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

I think you have done enough even if someone thinks you should save all the other boats in addition to that one.
Old 29-10-2012, 18:28   #28

Gringo,

The owner knows the situation, has received advice about what to do re: chafing, etc., has immediate access to his property, and apparently is unconcerned enough to act. If he really is so close, I'd pound on his door and tell him face-to-face that his boat is about to break free and cause a helluva lot of damage, and offer to help him put it right. Then it's all in his court.

After that, I would not do anything except secure my property, warn everyone around who could be affected, and be available to help him, should he show up.
Old 29-10-2012, 19:14   #29

Boat: Sabre 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starbuck
If he really is so close, I'd pound on his door and tell him face-to-face that his boat is about to break free and cause a helluva lot of damage, and offer to help him put it right. Then it's all in his court.
Well, it's not so simple... I know he's 3 minutes away, he told me... but I didn't get an address. And I don't feel like wandering the streets like a crazy person for hours to tell the guy something he knows only to have him shrug his shoulders.

But... I understand your point.

I hate being in this position, and honestly, I hope it comes thru ok... but with enough obvious issues to make it a close call for him to learn.

It's hard to evaluate when to give up... and it's usually a personal decision.

Thanks CF for your opinions.
Old 29-10-2012, 19:23   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticGringo View Post
Well, it's not so simple... I know he's 3 minutes away, he told me... but I didn't get an address. And I don't feel like wandering the streets like a crazy person for hours to tell the guy something he knows only to have him shrug his shoulders.

But... I understand your point.

I hate being in this position, and honestly, I hope it comes thru ok... but with enough obvious issues to make it a close call for him to learn.

It's hard to evaluate when to give up... and it's usually a personal decision.

Thanks CF for your opinions.
Based on what you said earlier about boat under poor repairs, perhaps he is completely afraid of the situation and doesn't know what he can do in any case. Doesn't want his dock mates to see the fear..?