Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-10-2012, 19:45   #31

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283
Re: How Much Effort for Another?

I always help my boat mates. The returned favor is the best insurance and someone almost always shows up to help us into the slip. I keep a pile of spare dock lines belayed at the mast in case someone needs one - for me or them.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	33 .jpg
Views:	143
Size:	421.3 KB
ID:	48987  
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2012, 02:28   #32
Armchair Bucketeer

For me neighbourlyness only goes so far. For me the line is drawn when I am expected to act as their skivvy. or their Mum!

In OP's shoes (with no prospect of damage to own boat), then I would call it quits.

The Boat Owner and the Marina is aware and neither is willing to help themselves - then so be it. Folks downstream? Well, that's their problem / risk.
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2012, 07:10   #33

Boat: Sabre 42
Well, his boat made it thru the storm, which I'm glad about. He's supposed to show up today, and I'm sure it'll be interesting when he does.

I'm not sure what I'll say to him if anything. I may tell him that I'm not going to bother helping him until he gets some proper dock lines, chafe protection and a rail for the portion of his deck. I may not say anything though.
Old 31-10-2012, 17:30   #34

Send a message via Skype™ to Dreaming Yachtsman

Mystic Gringo,

Glad to hear the boat survived the storm.

If you DON'T say anything to the owner, you will lose a golden opportunity to help prevent the same situation from happening again. This boat owner needs to be made aware of his neglectful manner of caring for his boat. Just try to do it tactfully - perhaps point out the severely chaffed lines and starting a discussion of how they could have been prevented or show him the picture of his boat and talk about how he should have tied it up better.

Your efforts here could help us all avoid being put into a similar situation in the future.

Good luck!
Dreaming Yachtsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2012, 17:46   #35

Boat: 15' Catboat, Bristol 35.5

Look, just shi* on his boat. It will make you feel better and he will get the picture.
kmacdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2012, 18:12   #36

Saw the owner today. I asked him how come he never came to check on the boat, he said that he figured someone would call him if it was a problem. We did call, several times... he said he never heard it.

I asked him why he didn't put on the chafe protection that we suggested... he said because the tide was going to be high, so how would it chafe! I don't even come close to understanding that logic.

I told him to go look at his lines and tell me how much was left. He did, and there was barely anything. I asked him if he thought it was safe to be working on the side of his boat, with no guard rail, and no handholds in 40 knot winds... he said no. He also kinda laughed about breaking the two posts on end of dock.

I was kind of pissed off, so I told him I'm not helping him anymore. He blatantly disregarded his boats safety, he got very lucky that we didn't get the winds that were predicted, and he didn't take out other boats down wind of him.

I really don't have an issue with people not knowing things... hell, I don't know half the stuff the people on here do. I have an issue when people show a blatant disregard for the well being of other people or their property. And when they expect someone else to take up their slack and watch their things during a storm.
Old 31-10-2012, 18:13   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmacdonald
Look, just shi* on his boat. It will make you feel better and he will get the picture.
My dog does this to my boat... I didn't know it was her way of telling me I'm a bad boat owner.
Old 31-10-2012, 20:29   #38

Boat: 45ft Ketch

I think you did the community proud. Unless you are a grumpy old B its always hard to front up to your neighbors.
DumnMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2012, 21:13   #39

Boat: Franz Maas 37

A steel recreational fishing boat (50') next to me for three seasons in Darwin was tied up with UV damaged ropes. The owner was constantly being told of his responsibilities by the marina management.

In the first year, I closed all his windows and doubled his ropes (with my spares) after a cyclone formed off the coast. We had bad weather but no cyclone strike. I was removing my ropes when he turned up and wanted to know why I was 'effing' around with his docklines. I explained and received no thanks and was left feeling like a criminal for going aboard his boat to shut all weather openings.

Year two, I promised myself the bloody thing could sink before I would touch it when a huge seasonal storm threatened. I called the marina staff who apparently called the owner, who was interstate and asked if 'the bloke in the boat next door can do it again'. I did. No thanks, no 'here's a six pack for your troubles', no nothing.

Third year. I refused to touch it as again a cyclone approached. Darwin copped a glancing blow. All windows and ports were open, an unsecured ice box hit a boat opposite when it became airborne and the dinghy (14' H/D aluminium) on his wheelhouse roof, which was not tied down, dislodged in the wind, crashed into his cabintop, punctured the deck and ripped out several deck fittings.

When he eventually turned up after the fact, he asked if I had been out of town. I said no and that I was concerned only for the safety of my boat. Apparently this made me an uncaring individual who lacked the spirit of mateship which abounds in the seafaring community.

The final straw which drew forth from me a string of unkind epithets, was when he asked if he could borrow my 240v x 2" basement pump to empty the oily knee deep water from his bilges (remember all the *windows were left open) into the marina.

Prick!

*These were domestic sliding aluminium jobs. I use the term windows knowing full well the difference between windows, ports and hatches. The hull was very boat like, but the rest of it made it look like a floating block of flats with a bus shelter on top.
Auzzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2012, 22:12   #40

Boat: 38 roberts ketch

the system here in sydney on swing moorings is pretty good - if i see a neighbouring boat in trouble i just call the maritime service and tell them to contact the owner - if the owner ignores it the maritime dont and if the boat gets loose there are consequences for the owner. On the other hand good owners appreciate a heads up. Ive called a couple of times recently about a shi# power cruiser sinking, its been pumped out both times but i'm not calling again - done enough.
charliehows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2012, 23:07   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auzzee
A steel recreational fishing boat (50') next to me for three seasons...

*These were domestic sliding aluminium jobs. I use the term windows knowing full well the difference between windows, ports and hatches. The hull was very boat like, but the rest of it made it look like a floating block of flats with a bus shelter on top.
This boat was built on the same theory. Residential windows on the sides. Front window has trim nailed into the hull. Whole back is a big square box made of that Starboard material that's cracked all over. I'd hate to see it in a storm.

That story sucks. But it's right at the source of the problem. He expected you to save his boat after he neglected it. I don't mind helping someone else out who needs it... but not if they blatantly disregard it. And to get mad at you for not taking care of his responsibilities... that's not cool.
Old 01-11-2012, 07:58   #42

Boat: Sandpiper 565, Tanzer 22, Corbin 39

Hi:

As a new boat owner, I expect sooner or later I'll do something stupid. If and when that happens and someone like the OP comes to my rescue, I will thank him/her profusely and strive to do better next time. If I don't make some effort to improve my technique, I only deserve to be shunned in the future.

Boulter
Boulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 08:18   #43
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boulter View Post
Hi:

As a new boat owner, I expect sooner or later I'll do something stupid. If and when that happens and someone like the OP comes to my rescue, I will thank him/her profusely and strive to do better next time. If I don't make some effort to improve my technique, I only deserve to be shunned in the future.

Boulter
IMO one of the most useful "skills" is a willingness to admit ignorance .

For some that is a big hurdle to overcome........of course anything another says (real world or online) should never be taken as gospel, simply another datapoint to use a "you" see fit / decide.

However, for some pig ignorance (and laziness?) is a lifestyle choice......
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 08:32   #44

Boat: Nothing large at the moment

I have never understood why people choose to ride a storm out in a marina! I always feel safer on my own ground tackel in a safe anchorage or ideally tied in the mangroves.
Tingum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 08:35   #45
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

take a fellow to dinner--you gave him one meal.
teach him to cook that which he already has, you gave him a life.
but ,, then , there are opportunists and others.......

i help until i am shown the individual cannot or will not learn from efforts to teach and help-- do they continue on as before ...and what do they brag about after the fact----the after bragging when they think no one gives a dang, that shows their character--is interesting to hear some of it come back, and how tell the story to others.....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote