Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-05-2013, 13:23   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
Re: How much to offer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
I offer constructive advice... you respond rudely. Good luck.
I don't think that the "constructive advice" is rude; certainly the response is not rude; and most importantly there is never a rude offer to buy a product for sale for any fraction of the asking price. There may be a myth promoted about "low ball" or "rude" offers from brokers, but the fact is that the seller is free to respond or ignore to any offer at their whim.
Old 13-05-2013, 13:29   #17
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: How much to offer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalaxyGirl View Post
WOW, I was reading this thread and when I saw this comment and the response I had to comment. You are spot on. I have been sorting through various boats myself. I swear, either I am very good at picking winners (having 0 boating experience) or what you say is completely true because I started noticing that almost every boat that I posted for feedback, including every boat in the US, sold within a month after I posted and had long discussions with others about them.
I have now learned to keep my mouth shut on boats that I am very seriously considering. I now ask more general questions and avoid posting the precise boat.
In fact, one of the owners of one the boats, the "Sopressa", which was thoroughly discussed on one of my threads actually posted that he had just boat it and thanked the posters for all the great info they gave on my thread. Could be some weird coincidence, but I have learned my lesson on that. I was pretty bumbed seeing a couple of my short listers sell.
This was very good advice to the OP I wish that I had been warned.
There are quite a few 'Lurkers'... and even some members who are on the look out for boats so don't be surprised if Google/Sailboats and Apollo Duck search engines are going overtime...
As they say.. "Don't rain on my Parade.. Mate.. ya shoulda got yer finga out.."

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2013, 14:08   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalaxyGirl View Post
WOW, I was reading this thread and when I saw this comment and the response I had to comment. You are spot on. I have been sorting through various boats myself. I swear, either I am very good at picking winners (having 0 boating experience) or what you say is completely true because I started noticing that almost every boat that I posted for feedback, including every boat in the US, sold within a month after I posted and had long discussions with others about them.
I have now learned to keep my mouth shut on boats that I am very seriously considering. I now ask more general questions and avoid posting the precise boat.
In fact, one of the owners of one the boats, the "Sopressa", which was thoroughly discussed on one of my threads actually posted that he had just boat it and thanked the posters for all the great info they gave on my thread. Could be some weird coincidence, but I have learned my lesson on that. I was pretty bumbed seeing a couple of my short listers sell.
This was very good advice to the OP I wish that I had been warned.
Of course the other explanation is that good boats that are well-priced tend to sell quickly.

If you know what you want, you'll be able to move quickly. Sometimes you have to miss a few while you learn through your research, because you just aren't ready to purchase the boat.
letsgetsailing3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2013, 17:08   #19
TOM

Boat: Footloose 40 steel cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Illusion View Post
If you have not already found what these boats are actually selling for, it's time to do your own due diligence and get that info. Keep in mind that sometimes even the alleged actual selling prices are inflated when brokers insert that info.
With all due respect HOW on earth do i find that information. What broker is going to disclose that sort of information without client consent ,and even then why should he.
TOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2013, 17:21   #20

Ascertain the selling, or at least listing price of others. In many cases you can offer 40-50% less. BUT, If this boat is a prime example, already realistically priced near usual selling price, you MAY piss off the owner with a really lowball offer. It's a fine line for sure. In that case I would try to finalize the boat for 10% less than what you believe the final selling price of a similar boat was or should be.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2013, 17:22   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillbuilding View Post
Does not sound rude to me - just mild factual response.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2013, 18:56   #22

Location: San Diego, California - Read about our circumnavigation at www.rutea.com
Boat: Contest 48

If the boat really calls to you - if you really want the boat - I suggest you offer what you can afford. That way, if you do in fact buy the boat, you can afford it. If the seller does not accept your offer, well, you couldn't afford it anyway.

Good luck, fair winds and calm seas.
nhschneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2013, 17:16   #23
TOM

Boat: Footloose 40 steel cutter

I spoke to a broker in Australia yesterday .This is what he said . Do not bring back a Benateau, Sun Odyssey, Bavaria you will be lucky to get your money back. If you bring back a Hunter you will do your ass. His advice was bring back a cat in good condition or a Pedigree....which means an Island packet , H.R ,Amiel etc.
But i realey like this Boat so i will offer $140,000 and see what happens the boat is listed at $235000.
TOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2013, 21:04   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOM View Post
I spoke to a broker in Australia yesterday .This is what he said . Do not bring back a Benateau, Sun Odyssey, Bavaria you will be lucky to get your money back. If you bring back a Hunter you will do your ass. His advice was bring back a cat in good condition or a Pedigree....which means an Island packet , H.R ,Amiel etc.
But i realey like this Boat so i will offer $140,000 and see what happens the boat is listed at $235000.
I think that broker gave you good advice. We saw a boat today that we didnt know was for sale, it just happened to catch our eye on our way out of the marina. We noticed a broker had left a sticky on the window saying he had someone interested and to call him. I said to my husband "now that's the kind of boat we want to buy, one with character that has people leaving notes in case you're interested in selling." It was only after a few more minutes of ogling we even noticed the for sale sign. Tried to look it up at home, it isn't on the dealers website but there sure were a lot of Hunters on there!
terminalcitygrl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
offer