Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-05-2022, 17:30   #16

Boat: Westerly Conway 36ft
Re: How much to rebuild or replace a 40hp diesel.

I re-engined in 2014 with a new Beta 35hp, inc engine mounts, starter, ignition panel, gearbox, shaft, cutless bearing & prop. All professionally installed by Beta dealers with 5 year guarantee. As I recall the bill totalled about £12,000 GBP inc tax.
Clivevon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2022, 17:46   #17

Boat: 39' Custom built junk rigged cat ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clivevon View Post
I re-engined in 2014 with a new Beta 35hp, inc engine mounts, starter, ignition panel, gearbox, shaft, cutless bearing & prop. All professionally installed by Beta dealers with 5 year guarantee. As I recall the bill totalled about £12,000 GBP inc tax.
Yes, I compared prices for Beta in both the US and the UK. They are much higher in the US, almost double.

Sent from my Z5157V using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
fourlyons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2022, 18:00   #18

Boat: Jeanneau SO 389

So. Fresh water submerged engines no worries. Ive pulled a motorcycle and a skidoo from deep down. Run great. The motorcycle took 2 years to find.

Salt water whole new tricks. If you let them dry you’ll probably loose the barrels and the crack so yup write off. If you keep everything wet and change to fresh pull it apart wet and treat each part as you dry it. Different metals require different chemicals. Salt water has a very short time. Fresh cast iron eventually becomes junk but it takes years.
The Huntley Sank in the Excited States Civil War 1850 something. Clive Cussler found it and it’s being preserved. The key to saving this treasure was a bath of special chemicals for years. Left in the air it’s lost.
I think a brand new 40hp Yanmar for my boat is 8500$. It’s why Yanmar in Japan sell so damn many. The Turbo version 75 was near 2K more. A big diesel like the 395HP twins in my old boat. 30K would be a deal
Rumrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2022, 20:34   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fore and Aft View Post
Ballsnall Lasivian doesn't say who was holding the tape measure when the 6 inches was measured. For all we know it might be 6 inches from the tappet cover.
Cheers

Ahhhh, yes 6" over the engine cover and would definitely need an oil change.
Ballsnall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2022, 01:10   #20

Boat: Island Packet 29

I have the Beta price list but cant get my slow computer to open it. I do remember the 14HP was $8,000.

Id guestimate $25K to $30K installed for a 40 sounds about right.

Keep in mind it wont be "plug and play", things wont fit, prop shaft will be too long/short with the new engine so now you need a new prop shaft, on and on.....
Rockinar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2022, 01:29   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourlyons View Post
They are much higher in the US, almost double.
Wow, that's outrageous.
Inboard Marine Engine Indonesia
BETA MARINE 43 HP DIESEL ENGINE $4,100.00

Maybe sail across the pond and pick on up.
Ballsnall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2022, 04:49   #22
DIJ

Boat: Southerly 115

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lasivian View Post
I'm looking at buying a Reliance 44. It's got a 40 horsepower diesel in it and apparently the engine was sitting in 6 in of water for several months. I'm curious what it would cost to rebuild or replace it so I can factor that into my offer.

Thanks
I guess price depends on where you are. I just had a new installation of a 37hp engine and gearbox here in France (which I don’t think is a particularly cheap place) that included many changes to layout, new prop and prop shaft and some other improvements. Total 17k Euros total, parts and labour.
DIJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2022, 06:56   #23

Boat: Jeanneau SO 389

Product Description
Available in stock Brand New Yanmar 3JH40 Inboard Diesel Engine for sale. We offer the most affordable price US $4790.00. Limited stock, grab it fast.

3 Cylinder, 1.64-liter diesel engine, Naturally Aspirated, Gears - KM35P / KM35A, Sail Drive - SD60

An article I read mentions to budget $5,000.00 to install your $5,000.00 Engine so yes looking at the lowest number I a false budget. 17,000 € makes a lot of realistic final bill and a well thought out one.
I think you can pay $8,000.00 for the engine in the wrong port vs Yanmar US.
You can order a new drive if you run one. Folding props. I agree with estimates in 20,000 $ area without exaggeration . Yanmar considering how tough they are seem an unique marine bargain. Cost about the same as a 15hp outboard.
Rumrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2022, 07:23   #24

I purchased a totaled Perkins 4.108 for 2K with sixty hours on it, it lost oil pressure and showed no damage. Ive used it over 600 hours after putting it together and just reconditioning it again now, upgrading the alternator and fine tuning... all with manuals and my background as a general mechanic. Parts are cheap. If you cant do the work, find a good worker who can do it and treat them well. If you walk through the door of a shop you know the rates and better own a bank. These are simple engines but must be put together correctly with someone doing a responsible job. No shortcuts.
doog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2022, 09:20   #25

Direct from a US distributor. I dont have the price sheet for the larger engines. But this should give realistic numbers IN THE US. Prices in France or Vietnam dont do you any good if you live in Tampa, FL.

You're looking at around $15K for just the engine and tranny to arrive at your door in a crate. Add in $125/hr for labor and all the modifications that will be needed. Id say $25K-$30K when its all done in the US would be realistic.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2022-05-05 at 11.02.12 AM.png
Views:	178
Size:	221.8 KB
ID:	257159  
Old 05-05-2022, 10:17   #26

I just noticed the OP is one of the "Im going to sell everything and sail around the world" posters. Lives in Utah, zero sailing experience, been posting in here about "sailing around the world" for 2 years. But still land locked, till not a day of experience.....but shopping for 44' boats that need new $30K engines.

This is what happens when people watch too many fake sailing channels on Youtube.
Old 05-05-2022, 10:24   #27

Boat: 2000 Catalina 470 #058

Quote:
I wonder where some of you are getting your prices. I'm on the US east coast and I just bought a used Nanni/Kubota 21hp engine , with a rebuilt vee drive for $7800. I got a discounted price of $14,500 at the Annapolis boat show for a new Beta 20hp and saildrive. $2000 less with a trans instead of saildrive. Not including tax or installation.

The discounted price on a Beta 38 was $17,600 with saildrive.

Right but what does it cost to remove existing engine? Then install new one? Thousands!!!
Old 05-05-2022, 18:48   #28

Boat: 39' Custom built junk rigged cat ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenWave View Post
Right but what does it cost to remove existing engine? Then install new one? Thousands!!!
I think you missed my point, I was saying some people were underestimating the price to complete the job in the US. I agree with those that say it's likely to be $25-30k, given the engine and gearbox alone cost $15k.

fourlyons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2022, 18:52   #29

Boat: 2000 Catalina 470 #058

Quote:
I think you missed my point, I was saying some people were underestimating the price to complete the job in the US. I agree with those that say it's likely to be $25-30k, given the engine and gearbox alone cost $15k.

And now the point we both were making is clearer.
Old 06-05-2022, 02:45   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockinar View Post
I just noticed the OP is one of the "Im going to sell everything and sail around the world" posters. Lives in Utah, zero sailing experience, been posting in here about "sailing around the world" for 2 years. But still land locked, till not a day of experience.....but shopping for 44' boats that need new $30K engines.

This is what happens when people watch too many YouTube sailing channels.
+1

See Post #13, Rockinar.

The problem is, the OP is approaching his plan from the typical perspective of a land-dweller: "I want to live aboard and I've got all this stuff and I'm 6'+ tall, so I need headroom..." instead of, "I need a boat that **I can sail safely in all conditions**" - the knock-on stuff rates a distant second as far as priorities go.

I've already experienced this tradjectory from one or two Forum Members in recent years. One who bought a 38' Calibre; on his first sail to move the boat from broker's to new home marina, he was overwhelmed. Don't know if he's left port this year. He, at least, was a sailor and making a jump from a 25' boat to his current cruising yacht.

Anyway, perhaps this OP will get it, perhaps not...

LittleWing77
LittleWing77 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, rebuild