Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-10-2011, 13:07   #1

How Much Water Tankage Is Enough ?

I read the average water capacity in permanently installed water tanks was 105 gallons (in Jimmy Cornell's' ARC 87 Equip Survey in his World Cr Survey book).

But it seems that so many yachts for sale in what I thought were blue-water-proven type cruisers (BCC, Southerly, etc) for sale on yachtworld seem to have only about 30 (sometimes 60) gallons installed. Have things changed? Were these permanent tanks in the Cornell survey only installed later (ie not in the orig specs)?

Are there any blue water designs that have ocean-crossing amts of water tankage installed as an integral part of the regular specs?

Any light on the mystery much appreciated.
Old 11-10-2011, 13:34   #2

Boat: Panda 40 - S/V Cambria
Re: How Much Water Tankage is Enough?

Blue water designs continue to provide ocean-crossing amounts of water tankage. With the advent of multiple speed winches, electric winches, furling headsails and furling mains, physical demand on crew is much diminished so water demand follows suit. Also GPS instead of Loran or sextant navigation, along with high quality weather routing, has provided consistently shorter voyages, again allowing for less water volume. And, instead of toughing it out at a foreign anchorage, significant growth in destination resorts and luxury marinas on the other end of the trip mean that crews do not have to be denied their creature comforts once they arrive, hence the need for less water.
;-)

Michael
svcambria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 13:34   #3
CLOD

Boat: none

Lots of boats have large tanks. But in general larger boats have larger tanks! My last 39' boat had 100-gal storage and my current has 150 gal.

Whether what ever you have is enough depends on the user. You tend to use based on what you got and how much trouble it is to refill the tanks.
Old 11-10-2011, 13:52   #4

Boat: a sailing boat

Minimum is your daily consumption x days at sea x 1.5. Your daily consumption is not likely to be less than 1.5 liter. 20 liters per person per day is fine, unless ladies are present, especially long haired ones.

The more water tankage the happier. This postulate possible only if the boat is big, crew small.

If you cannot take all the water you need, then go for the watermaker. Remember even with a watermaker onboard you still need to carry the minimum as calculated above!

If you have the machine, use watermaker water as much as you wish but the tank water only as you progress.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 14:03   #5

Boat: Catalina 42 Pacific cruise to Australia

Whatever your water tankage is, don't let it stop you going!

A couple of jerrysjugs on deck goes well. also on our cicumnav we stashed many plastic softdrink containers full of water in all out of the way corners/lockers, bilge and anywhere low in the boat. These were ideal to quick rinse" after a saltwater shower and easy to carry ashore in backpacks to refill at convenient taps around. Good emergency water supply too!

Water never seemed to be a concern....remember it also may rain alot, catch it!

Fuel is what you always run short of before water!
Jamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 14:18   #6
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE

A water catchment system is a huge plus. I have been living on rain water since May. A couple of times I filled jugs to only have it rain hours later. The phrase HEAVEN SENT really comes into play here!.........i2f
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 15:54   #7

Boat: C&C Landfall 38

My 38 had a 90 gal tank and a 25 gal tank which was refilled by the water maker, the 90 gal was held in reserve and dumped then refilled 4-5 times a year when I was at anchor and had lots of sun I would run the water maker (3gal/hr) over several days to refill it. I more than once instead of dumping the big tank pulled up to several boats and transferred it to their tanks. It was always OK but I didn't want it sour should I need it on a passage.
nwdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 16:00   #8

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

I'm installing 4 x 50 gallon water tanks plus a small water maker. The logic is that one tank is "caught" rainwater for washing/showers and the other three are municipal water shading into water-maker water over time.

We plan on visiting some pretty dry islands and wish to be as shore-independent as is practical. Also, frankly, arriving with clean, Western-grade water is going to be considered a friendly gesture in some places.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 16:04   #9

Boat: Matlack, Trawler, 48 ft

We carry 200 gallons. We use about 10 gal per day if we are careful. That's for two of us and our cat.
Old 11-10-2011, 18:08   #10

Boat: contessa 32
Re: How Much Water Tankage Is Enough ?

The old rule of thumb was 1gal/person /day for drinking. I bet that amount could be reduced to 1/2 gal/day if not in the tropics and not too much heavy exertion. No allowance here for bathing, but with a salt water shower or swim a fresh water rinse off can consume as little as a cup or 2 if followed but a quick toweloff. I do think many here will scoff at these numbers but without pressure water and using salt water for ccoking where feasable, and of course all dishes cleaned in salt, I have found I can live in civilized fashion with the 1/gal/day regimen.May be even rinse out my shorts now and then. My experience stems from various small boat ( 18' and under) journeys and a number of winters in the arid Bahamas.
Water carried in 5 gal. clear jerry cans on deck will quickly become undrinkable if in the sun and is destablizing to the craft so get it below.
mrohr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 18:34   #11

with a water maker you dont need a lot. without, the more the better. I think Passports etc have prety good tankage 85-130 gallons. ?

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 01:52   #12

Was Water Tankage part of your boat's original design specs?

Was water tankage part of your boat's original design specs?

Any recommendations for blue water designs that have 100+ gallon of water tanks installed as an integral part of the regular specs?

Thanks in advance.
Old 28-11-2011, 20:49   #13

Boat: Shannon 38 Ketch

Sorry I'm late to your thread, but I swerved into it trying to find the same answer to the question you asked. Try looking into the CSY 44 walkovers. They have built in tanks that hold 400 gallons of water!
Large Luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2011, 21:04   #14

Boat: Mason 53

G'day, Mate. Check out Mason 43 & 53's. Plenty of water and diesel tankage. Our current configuration is 160 gallons of water, 300 gallons of diesel and a 20 gallon per hour water maker. 2 of us here, and like Amapola, use around 10 gallons a day. You are on to one of the key elements to making the lifestyle sustainable over the longer term. Good on you. All the best with the search. Cheers.
matauwhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2011, 21:37   #15

Boat: Under construction 35' ketch (and +3 smaller)

Most of the modern designs are just pier queens not meant for serious cruising IMHO. Drinking water is in bottles thou..
TeddyDiver is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water