Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-08-2017, 03:09   #91

Re: How necessary is AIS?

Once again AIS B is a great idea in areas with a lot of traffic... especially travelling different courses. Like having a radar reflector to be seen.

In places like LIS which does have commercial traffic... tows and tankers... and container ships... the problem is not THEIR movement... but the recreational boaters who don't observe rules of the road and too often are not even on watch but on AP with a GPS driving the AP. AIS would be useless with these idiots as they don't even have their VHF radios on...
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 11:52   #92

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
He said he was using the chart plotter and radar to stay in the middle of the channel. WTF?
Those are certainly tools. Looking out the window (!) and radar should have been pretty clear indications of where the marks actually existed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandero View Post
... but the recreational boaters who don't observe rules of the road and too often are not even on watch but on AP with a GPS driving the AP.
I'm much more comfortable with commercial shipping than recreational boaters. Maybe that's why I like sailing at night so much.
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 11:56   #93
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auspicious View Post
Those are certainly tools. Looking out the window (!) and radar should have been pretty clear indications of where the marks actually existed.

I'm much more comfortable with commercial shipping than recreational boaters. Maybe that's why I like sailing at night so much.

No markers, land on the side. VERY visible to the naked eye!
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 14:08   #94

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by daletournier View Post
But Mike the necessary argument can apply to so many things on our boats, what's truely necessary to get from A to B? You are right Ais is not necessary, but where does the "not necessary list start and stop" maybe the question needs to be rephrased?
Yes, that’s a good question and good point Dale. I agree... It’s really the root of many of the more interesting, and sometimes heated, CF discussions. I’d rephrase it slightly by asking: What is enough? What do any of us really need?

Of course, the answer to what is necessary, or what is enough, can only be answered by each of us. This is why I usually couch my responses to these kinds of questions by saying 'this is what works for me.’

As with most things in cruising, and in life, there is rarely only one right answer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Your time will come.... or rather, your "Oh Schitt!" moment.
Ah grasshopper… you will understand one day (maybe ).
Old 01-08-2017, 17:27   #95

Boat: morgan O/I 33' sloop

Thanks all for your well intentioned comments. I was very specific about my concerns but most responders ignored that as too difficult to read. I tend to be simple minded. I assume watch standers on large ships would overlook or ignore the faint return from a radar reflector. I want to spot ships to get well out of their path not hope they are awake enough for conversation. As for radar, I have no room for a tech to try to estimate courses from radar returns.
Back to my specific issues. Sailing north in the Gulf Stream. Unlighted S/B fishing boats are a hazard I will live with along with floating cargo containers and Moby Dick. Getting run down by a N/B freighter is something I want to protect against. Is an AIS receiver worthwhile in the sea lanes leading to Miami, Port Everglades, or Canaveral? For those who have done it, is avoiding crossing major entry lanes at night worth an extra day or two or not?
Dave22q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 17:39   #96

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave22q View Post
Thanks all for your well intentioned comments. I was very specific about my concerns but most responders ignored that as too difficult to read. I tend to be simple minded. I assume watch standers on large ships would overlook or ignore the faint return from a radar reflector. I want to spot ships to get well out of their path not hope they are awake enough for conversation. As for radar, I have no room for a tech to try to estimate courses from radar returns.
Back to my specific issues. Sailing north in the Gulf Stream. Unlighted S/B fishing boats are a hazard I will live with along with floating cargo containers and Moby Dick. Getting run down by a N/B freighter is something I want to protect against. Is an AIS receiver worthwhile in the sea lanes leading to Miami, Port Everglades, or Canaveral? For those who have done it, is avoiding crossing major entry lanes at night worth an extra day or two or not?
Dave
This not a long passage. AIS would be nice and it's benefits have been beat to death in the last 95 posts. You don't need it just for this trip. For me it is a very cost effective benefit. There is no point in going day(s) out of your way on this passage. Decide if you want to break the trip up into multiple segments and head off with good weather predicted. The Gulfstream will shoot you up and should make for a quick passage.
Old 01-08-2017, 17:41   #97
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
How necessary is AIS?

AIS if your transmitting may at first seem like it's not doing anything, until you realize that the reason your not dodging ships anymore, is because they set a course to avoid you , before you detected them visually.
Zoom your plotter out and pay attention and you will see the little course changes, and that was going North in the Steam from Miami to Ft Lauderdale at night and then a day trip from Ft Lauderdale to Stuart.

That is a very busy piece of water

It is a fun trip, cause I was making 10+ kts SOG with 6 kts speed through the water, 4+ kt boost, only way my boat could make a 200+ mile day
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 17:49   #98

Quote:
Getting run down by a N/B freighter is something I want to protect against. Is an AIS receiver worthwhile in the sea lanes leading to Miami, Port Everglades, or Canaveral? For those who have done it, is avoiding crossing major entry lanes at night worth an extra day or two or not?
As a Master Mariner, having an AIS transponder on your boat makes my day a whole lot easier when I can see you....

Be Brave, Take Risks, Nothing Can Substitute Experience
IslandHopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 05:32   #99
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Thanks all for your well intentioned comments. I was very specific about my concerns but most responders ignored that as too difficult to read.
I feel you got the answer:

If someone has AIS then the answer is you absolutely need it and it's right up there near the top as a must have item.

If someone doesn't have it then the answer is you don't need it.

I've crossed all the shipping lanes you listed in both day and night and I don't have AIS and don't have plans to get it.
Old 03-08-2017, 17:58   #100

Boat: Lots of boats.

Traveling at night? Have a chartplotter? Do yourself a favor, look up dAISy on the Internet and spend the $60 to have AIS. I have one and it works very well. My ONLY night trip in a long time was interrupted by a tug and 200 foot barge that happened to see us. I did not notice it even though it was a very clear (but very dark) night. I was outside the shipping lane and so was he. As it went by, I still couldn't see it clearly. Only some faint lights on the tug 200 feet behind the bow. I have since swapped stories with LOTS of people that have had close calls at night. We ALL use AIS today. AIS is cheap insurance!
hsi88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 18:27   #101
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
If someone has AIS then the answer is you absolutely need it and it's right up there near the top as a must have item.
Sailorboy, have you actually seen this type of response here??? Most of who have AIS of any type are pretty honest about the usefulness of it. I certainly haven't said or implied that it is a must-have item.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
If someone doesn't have it then the answer is you don't need it.

I've crossed all the shipping lanes you listed in both day and night and I don't have AIS and don't have plans to get it.
Well I'm very happy for you. I have sailed many miles without AIS as well, and would not hesitate to sail without it again. I do have a transponder, and I appreciate the information it gives me (and others), but if it stopped working tomorrow I wouldn't panic.

I really don't understand your take on this discussion, and I wish you wouldn't mis-characterize the responses from AIS proponents.
Paul Elliott, S/V VALIS - Pacific Seacraft 44 #16 - Friday Harbor, WA
www.sailvalis.com
Paul Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 18:49   #102

Boat: Catalina 470

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsi88 View Post
Traveling at night? Have a chartplotter? Do yourself a favor, look up dAISy on the Internet and spend the $60 to have AIS. I have one and it works very well. My ONLY night trip in a long time was interrupted by a tug and 200 foot barge that happened to see us. I did not notice it even though it was a very clear (but very dark) night. I was outside the shipping lane and so was he. As it went by, I still couldn't see it clearly. Only some faint lights on the tug 200 feet behind the bow. I have since swapped stories with LOTS of people that have had close calls at night. We ALL use AIS today. AIS is cheap insurance!
https://www.tindie.com/products/astu...-ais-receiver/

$60!!!!!! So the arguments for not having are?
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 19:01   #103
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by daletournier View Post
$60!!!!!! So the arguments for not having are?
Wearing my Devil's Advocate hat:

1) False sense of security -- not all hazards transmit AIS.
2) With AIS you stare at the screen when you should be keeping watch by looking out the window.
3) More electronics stuff to draw current and eventually fail.

All of these are actually reasonable concerns. However, they don't prevent me from finding AIS to be a valuable aid. This all takes practice.
Paul Elliott, S/V VALIS - Pacific Seacraft 44 #16 - Friday Harbor, WA
www.sailvalis.com
Paul Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 19:34   #104

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Elliott View Post
2) With AIS you stare glance at the screen when you should be keeping briefly cease to watch by looking out the window. all round
There fixed it for you.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 20:08   #105

Boat: No more boat (my medical, not the boat's)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsi88 View Post
I cannot disagree that it is cheap, as in inexpensive, but it is not insurance of, for, or against anything, although it helps. It is not quite a second set of eyes, nor is it radar, but it is better to have than not to have, unless one becomes reliant on it or expects the other guy to do the proper thing because the vessel has it. Protect yourself at all times.

Tags
ais