Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-08-2017, 10:05   #121

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun
Re: How necessary is AIS?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
Some folks access the Internet with a computer.
Sorry, I wasn't clear. I was asking about last mile, not the UI.

I believe Mike O'Reilly is cruising. He either uses cellular or Wi-Fi to get Internet access.
DotDun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 10:10   #122
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Did you miss the entire second (most important part) part of my post #116? You left it out of my quote.

Good luck after you begin crossing international borders especially the US... you'll need it without a transmitter.

Personally, we prefer to be left alone.

Are you sure about this? Have you questioned the governments about the reason your left alone, or is this just speculation? Would be interesting to hear from some Canadian boaters that don't transmit AIS and see if they get daily boardings in the states.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 10:16   #123

Boat: Rafiki 37

Yes, marina wifi right now. I have an iPad with data plan as well DotDun… I understand your point.

Ken, I’ve travelled the lengths of the Great Lakes, and the St. Lawrence Seaway, cutting across the US/Canadian border many times. Not once have I been accosted by authorities from either side.

I choose not to hand over more information than I must. It’s why I don’t have a NEXUS card. If the authorities want to enforce their laws, I have no problem complying. But I don’t have to give them more than required. This is how we loose our liberties; one drip at a time...

Folks, I know this makes some of you uncomfortable, and I know my info is collected in many different ways. This is just one way I (and others) can say no.
Old 04-08-2017, 10:17   #124
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
Are you sure about this? Have you questioned the governments about the reason your left alone, or is this just speculation? Would be interesting to hear from some Canadian boaters that don't transmit AIS and see if they get daily boardings in the states.
In the US with an American flag I was stopped and searched at gunpoint twice in Los Angeles Harbor, California. I didn't have an AIS transmitter at the time. The searches happened two days apart, and I'm sure the second one could have been avoided if I was transmitting.

We have yet to be searched in over five years of cruising European waters, and yes, the border authorities have commented to us about having seen us on their monitoring devices... which is definitely why we're being left alone.

People we know who don't transmit AIS and/or in some cases also refuse to put cruising stickers on their boat as instructed to do so.... get searched and questioned regularly. We transmit and place the stickers in plain view on the exterior of our boat per instructions.... we're left alone. Here in Croatia, I've watched many times as patrol boats stop, question and redirect boats that are anchored into immigration officials who've obviously failed to check in in a timely manner which is apparently just a couple of hours. I'm anchored right next to them... I'm left alone.

How else would you explain this?
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 10:22   #125
smj

Quote:
In the US with an American flag I was stopped and searched at gunpoint twice in Los Angeles Harbor, California. I didn't have an AIS transmitter at the time. The searches happened two days apart, and I'm sure the second one could have been avoided if I was transmitting.

We have yet to be searched in over five years of cruising European waters, and yes, the border authorities have commented to us about having seen us on their monitoring devices... which is definitely why we're being left alone.

In 25 years we have only been boarded by CG twice, never at gunpoint and never searched. Maybe you were doing something wrong![emoji38]
Note to self, don't cruise the Med.
Old 04-08-2017, 10:32   #126

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Yes, marina wifi right now. I have an iPad with data plan as well DotDun… I understand your point.

Ken, I’ve travelled the lengths of the Great Lakes, and the St. Lawrence Seaway, cutting across the US/Canadian border many times. Not once have I been accosted by authorities from either side.

I choose not to hand over more information than I must. It’s why I don’t have a NEXUS card. If the authorities want to enforce their laws, I have no problem complying. But I don’t have to give them more than required. This is how we loose our liberties; one drip at a time...

Folks, I know this makes some of you uncomfortable, and I know my info is collected in many different ways. This is just one way I (and others) can say no.
I certainly respect your choices, I just wanted to make sure you understand (which it appears you do) that tracking a cell signal is only one step more work for the gov't than tracking an AIS transponder.

I don't worry about the gov't tracking me as any abuses there can be handled in court. My problem with AIS transmissions are the way companies are putting them on the Internet, i.e. Shipfinder, Vesselfinder, MarineTraffic, etc. IMO could fix this, but it seems they want Gov't to step in, hence nothing is being done to plug this gaping privacy breach.
DotDun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 10:33   #127
cruiser

Quote:
In 25 years we have only been boarded by CG twice, never at gunpoint and never searched. Maybe you were doing something wrong![emoji38]
Note to self, don't cruise the Med.
That's just obnoxiously rude, and besides... the searches happened in the US if you re-read my post, not over here in the Med.

FYI: Are you aware of what drug and human smugglers look like? Just go look in the mirror. And if you wanna know what kind of boats they use.... just go down to the dock and look at your own boat.

And the authorities know this, it's no secret.. Just ask someone in the DHS department or your local police department if you don't believe me.
Old 04-08-2017, 10:38   #128
smj

Quote:
That's just obnoxiously rude, and besides... the searches happened in the US if you re-read my post, not over here in the Med.

FYI: Are you aware of what drug and human smugglers look like? Just go look in the mirror. And if you wanna know what kind of boats they use.... just go down to the dock and look at your own boat. And the authorities know this, it's no secret.

Number one, notice the smiley face, a little humor.
Number two, I realize the searches were in San Diego, that's why I brought up our experiences with the US CG.
Number three, your last paragraph is hilarious as you don't know what I look like and obviously have no taste in boats.[emoji38](please not smiley face so you don't get your panties in a wad!)
Old 04-08-2017, 10:45   #129
cruiser

Quote:
Number one, notice the smiley face, a little humor.
Number two, I realize the searches were in San Diego, that's why I brought up our experiences with the US CG.
Number three, your last paragraph is hilarious as you don't know what I look like and obviously have no taste in boats.[emoji38](please not smiley face so you don't get your panties in a wad!)
My point is.... the smugglers look just like every one of us, not like those in the Hollyweird movies on high speed cigarette boats wearing expensive designer suits.
Old 04-08-2017, 10:47   #130
smj

Quote:
Dude, you're using the wrong smiley thingy. Is the one you should have used, not the laughing one.

My point is.... the smugglers look just like every one of us, not like those in the Hollyweird movies on high speed cigarette boats wearing expensive designer suits.

Sorry, not up on the emoji etiquette!
Old 04-08-2017, 10:48   #131
cruiser

Quote:
Sorry, not up on the emoji etiquette!
Neither am I.

Old 04-08-2017, 10:53   #132

Quote:
Originally Posted by DotDun View Post
I certainly respect your choices, I just wanted to make sure you understand (which it appears you do) that tracking a cell signal is only one step more work for the gov't than tracking an AIS transponder.

I don't worry about the gov't tracking me as any abuses there can be handled in court. My problem with AIS transmissions are the way companies are putting them on the Internet, i.e. Shipfinder, Vesselfinder, MarineTraffic, etc. IMO could fix this, but it seems they want Gov't to step in, hence nothing is being done to plug this gaping privacy breach.
Thanks DotDun. Yes, I understand my choice doesn’t do a lot, but it is more than nothing. And I am completely with you on which entities are more concerning… At least with governments we (the Citizens) theoretically have some way of pushing back. The commercial corporate data vacuumers concern me far more b/c we have very little recourse.
Old 04-08-2017, 11:02   #133
cruiser

Be very careful and tread carefully, it can be a slippery slope.
Attached Images

Old 04-08-2017, 11:06   #134

Quote:
Be very careful and tread carefully, it can be a slippery slope.
How’d you get that picture of me SEE!! I HAVE BEEN COMPROMISED
Old 04-08-2017, 11:07   #135
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
How’d you get that picture of me SEE!! I HAVE BEEN COMPROMISED

Tags
ais