Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-05-2012, 22:43   #1
Lt.

how often do you leave coastal waters?

Just state the amount of times you have, and when or if you plan to in the future. Also how often is there a need, to leave the coastal waters. Coastal meaning, to ME, 50+ miles away from shore.
On another note, how do you sleep overnight when away from the coast, and any kind of anchorages or moorings? Like at sea.
Lt. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2012, 22:51   #2

Re: how often do you leave coastal waters?

I have left coastal waters as often as necessary. And plan to continue that practice. One leaves coastal waters when one sails away from the coast.

I sleep by lying down and closing my eyes.

"Non-coastal" rather implies no moorings or anchorages, right? Why would anyone need a mooring or anchorage offshore?

Bewildered.
daddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2012, 01:31   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Sailing vessels up to 200 tons

I find that if I carry about 15,000 metres of rode, I can anchor almost anywhere - Otherwise it's sleep on the way!

Delivering boats for a living - no more!
edsailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2012, 08:19   #4

Boat: Leopard Catamaran

The only offshore mooring I have seen is on a reef 100miles from Texas coast used for dive boats on the reef. I suppose you moor there overnight, but I wouldn't. The mooring line is often missing from being run over by freighter, or severe storm. You wouldn't want to be moored there if either happened.

Plus if you moored to sleep, expect to have someone from a line of fishing boats banging on your hull, to either fish, or get out of the way so they can.

Offshore you would have someone doing watches, so some one is at the helm at all times.

How often do I go offshore? As much as I can.

The reasons to go that far out is, either to go from point A to point B, or to go out for deepwater fishing.

In some places I suppose you could just go out for the quiet relaxation, but around here there is way too much shipping/fishing traffic for that to be safe, plus the numerous unmarked, unlit oil rigs that make even passage making risky without a good lookout.

If you were in an area with no other ships, and out of drift range from the nearest obstacle, and had calm seas. in theory you could just sleep and drift. But it has been a long time since that was possible.
capn_billl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2012, 08:46   #5
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt. View Post
Just state the amount of times you have, and when or if you plan to in the future. Also how often is there a need, to leave the coastal waters. Coastal meaning, to ME, 50+ miles away from shore.
On another note, how do you sleep overnight when away from the coast, and any kind of anchorages or moorings? Like at sea.
I endeavour to leave them every time. As to sleeping, I sleep well after the first 24 hours and watch pattern establishes itself.
Old 21-05-2012, 08:55   #6
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

i try like crazy to have a crew--then i sail as far off shore as possible--is a loooong lee shore here and dangerous, "backchop" goes out 40-60 miles, so is much more comfortable to sail farther out than the chop reaches. also more fishies out farther.....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote