Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-12-2012, 07:47   #31

Re: How Serious the CG?

Now that is strange, I could put any city on there and not be from there, live there, be taxed there or keep my boat there, like Nome Ak?

Governments...
Wavewacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2012, 07:52   #32

Boat: Finnsailer 38

Taxing has nothing to do with the place name on the document, but rather where your boat is located. Many states require you to also state register your boat even if it is CG documented, and they will use those records to enforce taxation. Other states require marinas to submit records about who is renting dock space, and some states also walk the docks to check out who is where and for how long. Sure, choose Nome, AK, if you like it, but I find it is nice to have some connection to the place name so when I get asked about it I can respond intelligently.
Old 15-12-2012, 07:52   #33

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

I'd still really like to know what the CG is going to require from a foreigner like me when I garce the US with my presence

Anyone know?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2012, 08:02   #34

Quote:
I'd still really like to know what the CG is going to require from a foreigner like me when I garce the US with my presence

Anyone know?
A foreign pleasure boat needs to meet the safety and marking requirements of its country of registry unless you decide to keep it in one place here for a longer period of time. Of course you have to also meet customs and immigration rules, which are not enforced by the CG. However, if you are stopped for some reason they are very likely to ask to see your passports, visas, customs forms, etc.

Here's a good place to start to get the regulations for Customs and Border Patrol.
Old 15-12-2012, 08:11   #35

Carstenb, sorry, wish I could tell you.

Kettlewell, sailboats 12' and under and rowing boats don't need to be registered in Mo. but if you have a trolling motor on an innertube it must be registered.....is there a size requirement where this is applicable to pleasure boats?

SInce you probably know....I appreciate it, saves a day of reading through regulations I'm sure....
Old 15-12-2012, 08:19   #36

There is no requirement to get CG documentation for pleasure boats. About the smallest size that can qualify is a 26 footer, but it is based on a variety of measurements that results in a minimum tonnage of five net tons--has very little to do with weight, despite the wording. Most states however require you to register any boat with a motor, and some states require you to register just about anything including canoes and kayaks. Varies state by state on that. In other words, if it is a big enough boat to cruise on chances are very good you must have either state registration or CG documentation, or both.
Old 15-12-2012, 08:31   #37

Thanks, do you suggest CG docs on a boat to be used in the ICW? Any benefit to such registration?

We don't get this much in the midwest, I was under the impression that there was a tax benefit for registration as the vessel could be pressed into federal service (LOL, like the CG would want my tub in the event of war).
Old 15-12-2012, 08:41   #38

I really don't see much benefit to CG documentation until you leave the USA. There is no legal tax advantage, though in some states you are probably less likely to be hassled about taxes if you are documented from out of state and you don't stay around too long. The CG won't collect sales tax on a boat in order to document it, but you can bet that the state will require proof of sales and/or use tax if you try to state register a boat. Still, whether or not sales or use tax is owed has nothing to do with CG documentation--it has to do with where the boat is located and stored. Some people don't like to put all those numbers on the bow of their boat, which isn't required with CG documentation.
Old 15-12-2012, 08:41   #39

Boat: Endeavour CC 40' AbbyGale

I'll admit that the following was stolen information from the internet (which ensures it's accuracy and provides security in knowing everything is true because, well... it's on the internet)

Advantages: The main benefit of documentation versus numbering, is that a documented vessel may be the subject of a Preferred Ship Mortgage under 46 United States Code Chapter 313. In practical terms, this means that lending institutions regard a documented vessel as a more secure form of collateral. For larger and more expensive boats, it may be easier to obtain bank financing if the boat is documented rather than numbered.

Another benefit is that the certificate of documentation may make customs entry and clearance easier in foreign ports. The document is treated as a form of national registration that clearly identifies the nationality of the vessel.

Disadvantages: The main disadvantage of documenting rather than numbering is the higher cost. The initial documentation fee for a recreational vessel is $100.00. The numbering fee varies from State to State but averages about $25.00. In addition, documented vessels are not exempt from State or local taxes or other boating fees. Some individual States require a registration fee even if a boat is documented.
Old 15-12-2012, 08:48   #40

That's good information. One thing nice about documentation is that there is no annual fee, but you do have to be careful to sign and return the form they send once per year. That can be a bit awkward when you are outside of the USA and in a place where getting mail is not easy, and you don't want to arrive in a foreign country with an expired document.
Old 15-12-2012, 08:53   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeborahLee View Post
Have transom mounted rudder. Hailing port name has 9 letters. At 4in that is 36 inches only 24in available per side. Guess I need a bigger boat or have to change my hailing port to something like Rio.
Four inch HIGH letters will not be four inches wide unless the letters are all M's and W's.
daddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2012, 09:16   #42

Also, name and hailing port don't have to be on the transom. Mine is cluttered up with either a self-steering windvane or the swim ladder, so I put the name and hailing port on each aft quarter of the boat. They are actually easier to read there in many situations.
Old 15-12-2012, 09:24   #43

Boat: Cape Dory

Does anyone have a link to the CG requirements regarding hailing port (the 4" requirement and the state abbr requirement and whatever else might be in there)? TIA!
Mambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2012, 09:28   #44

Quote:
Does anyone have a link to the CG requirements regarding hailing port (the 4" requirement and the state abbr requirement and whatever else might be in there)? TIA!
HOW DO I MARK MY VESSEL?
The official number assigned to documented vessels, preceded by the abbreviation "NO." must be marked in block-type Arabic numerals at least three inches high on some clearly visible interior structural part of the hull. The number must be permanently affixed so that alteration, removal, or replacement would be obvious and cause some scarring or damage to the surrounding hull area.

The name and hailing port of a recreational vessel must be marked together on some clearly visible exterior part of the hull. The vessel name of a commercial vessel must also be marked on the port and starboard bow and the vessel name and the hailing port must also be marked on the stern. All markings may be made by any means and materials that result in durable markings and must be at least four inches in height, made in clearly legible letters of the Latin alphabet or Arabic or Roman numerals. The "hailing port" must include both a place and a State, Territory, or possession of in the United States. The state may be abbreviated.

From here.
Old 15-12-2012, 09:51   #45

Anything less than 3" is going to be real hard for anyone to see... if you care. I wouldnt go less than 6".
The doc nuber can be as simple as vynil letters with thin layer of glass over. or plastic house letters epoxied on. If remover the numbers would show from the epoxy.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote