Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-06-2020, 21:16   #1

How to change mainsail and furling sail

I have a 1974 Ranger 29 and I'm planning on changing my sails (both mainsail and furling sail) for the first time tomorrow. I'm a bit nervous and am trying to find an authoritative guide on doing so. I've tried searching but searches for changing sails aren't returning the results I want (how to change sail shape, when to replace a sail, when to reef, etc). I'm hoping someone can help point me in the right direction or provide advice so I'm ready for tomorrow's task.

First, I have a track and I don't seem to be able to detach the sails -- there's no stopper, the track just continues too far down. It looks like there is a 6" strip of track that can be unscrewed so I'm assuming I would need to raise the mainsail, remove this strip, then lower the mainsail off the track at that point. Does that make sense? If so, do you know what this arrangement called?

The current sail has one reef point and the sail I'm replacing it with has three reef points. I see a rope going through the reef point but am not sure how I'd attach it to three reef points. Does anyone know of a good diagram that shows how that would be done?

For the furling sail, it's on a Harken furler. I'm assuming I'll unfurl it, detach it from the drum, and then there's a halyard which needs to be lowered to detach the top and the process will be reversed when installing the new one. Is that the correct process?

I appreciate any advice and pointers to resources, especially those with visuals, that anyone can share. Thanks!
SeaHarlequin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2020, 23:12   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi
Re: How to change mainsail and furling sail

You'll need to install 3 cheek blocks on the boom, one for each reef point. They need to be far enough aft so that they pull the sail foot flat when reefed. Better too far aft than too far forward. You could also buy a kit consisting of a track with slide cheek blocks in place of the blocks screwed to the mast. You can get by with one cheek block with the track arrangement if you are willing rereeve the clew reefing line and slide the block for each reef point. Would be better if you had a sliding cheek block for each reef point however. The clew reefing line will go from a cleat at the forward end of the boom, to the cheek block, up through the clew reef cringle, back down to the boom and tied around it with a bowline.

Your photo shows the outhaul for the main. Something happened to the internal outhaul originally installed. The PO cobbled together the arrangement you've got to replace it.

Try and get hold of a Harken catalogue. There are illustrations in the back that cover how to set up most running rigging that you'll need to make up.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2020, 19:12   #3

Re: How to change mainsail and furling sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post
You'll need to install 3 cheek blocks on the boom, one for each reef point. They need to be far enough aft so that they pull the sail foot flat when reefed. Better too far aft than too far forward... The clew reefing line will go from a cleat at the forward end of the boom, to the cheek block, up through the clew reef cringle, back down to the boom and tied around it with a bowline.
That's really helpful! You've turned that jumble of line and hardware into a sensible arrangement that I now understand. Thanks!

Quote:
Your photo shows the outhaul for the main. Something happened to the internal outhaul originally installed. The PO cobbled together the arrangement you've got to replace it.
Gotcha, thanks. I'd been wondering about that for a while.

Quote:
Try and get hold of a Harken catalogue. There are illustrations in the back that cover how to set up most running rigging that you'll need to make up.
Sounds good, I know where I can pick one up. I'll check that out before I tackle the furling jib.
SeaHarlequin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
furling, mainsail, sail